Help Finding Replacements Grates for Old Coal Furnace

Silent_Kilt

Post by Silent_Kilt » Wed. Sep. 05, 2012 12:13 am

I have an American Radiator & Standard Sanitary - American Severn - No. C37 Series 1BJ1 Boiler.

Currently it is disconnected from the system, and the Munchkin 199M is handling things. At one point the A.S. was converted to run on Natural Gas. I am looking to take it apart and inspect it. I am wanting to build an interchangeable lower door. The normal door so I can replace the grates in the bottom, and use wood. The second door so that I can mount a Kagi Waste Oil burner to it.

I like to be flexible. My desire is to primarily run on the waste oil in the winters, and summer utilizing a thermostat to control the burner. But, since I can't always keep a steady supply of waste oil ,I want to be able to easily trade doors, and start a fire in the behemoth. Letting the Natural Gas fired Munchkin fill in the low spots, like at night.

At this point, I must admit, I am a little new to the whole boiler thing. I am pretty good at reading and understanding technical information as far as piping and circulation specs go. I don't have any paperwork or instruction for the A.S. boiler. I feel a little lost. Does anyone know where I can get a reprint, or even just the general information to assist me in inspecting and putting it back into its own loop of the system?

Thanks for any help that you can provide.

Tyson

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Sep. 05, 2012 10:38 am

I think you are wanting an almost impossible situation. Converting from one to the other would be too involved.

I would convert to a waste oil burner that could also handle no. 2 fuel oil as well and use the fuel oil to supplement the waste oil. If only 10 percent or so was needed it would be the best solution.

A good oil burner installation requires a well insulated combustion chamber installed in the ash pit of that dry base boiler for cleanest and most efficient operation. Very doubtful if you could install anything else without disturbing that.

Paulsjob
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Severn
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Wood

Post by Paulsjob » Wed. Apr. 25, 2018 7:06 pm

Hi guys I am brand new to this for him and I hope I’m in the right place I noticed the picture of your boiler and I have acquired one myself I’m going to need great as well I should be able to tie this into my heating system can burn wood or am I just wasting my time

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sat. Apr. 28, 2018 11:38 am

Since these Severn's have a slider in loading door for 'over fire air' wood is doable.

Find grates at Curwensville as was posted here, but if it is used for only burning wood, you maybe could use something like 3/4"-1" reinforcing bars in a mesh pattern and just knock the lighter wood ash down by poking around top-side.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”