Locke 460C Warm Morning

Tunapop

Post by Tunapop » Mon. Nov. 09, 2009 10:34 pm

I've been thinking about burning coal for some time now. This was the place I went to for info. At my wifes family reunion I was talking to her cousin who said he had a coal stove for 15 years in his shed...it was in his way. So being the nice guy that I am, moved it out of his shed and into my house. Turns out the stove is brand new... never been fired. Checking around on coal prices and picking peoples minds I started burning nut coal. I thought that the nut was a little too small because I was having a hard time shaking down. The peices would get stuck in the grate and jam it. So yesterday I start using stove size and it's acting a little better. It's warm out tonight so it's not as aggressive as I've seen it. I kow that this is a Bit stove and I'm burning Antracite, is that OK? My real question is on the back of the stove there is a 9.25" round hole cut out of the sheet metal backing. There are (4) 3/8" what appear to be mounting holes evenly spaced around the 9" cut-out. Does anyone know if this a receiver for some sort of blower to draw hot air off of the cast jacket? Aside from the size, are there any different charecteristics between nut and stove?
So Locke is out of business and I have one of their stoves brand new.. no instruction manual. If anybody has one of these stoves and can provide some useful insights to it's operation I would certainly appreciate it. By and large I'm happy with it. It throws off some serious heat. I made one mistake so far, I should have burned the first load outside. The factory coating on the stove burned off once I got it really going and gave off a stink that nearly ran me out of the house. My bride wasn't happy about that :cry:

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Mon. Nov. 09, 2009 10:51 pm

Sounds like it might have been setup like a warm air furnace. A blower must have bolted up to those 4 holes, & then connected to duct work.

The biggest difference in burning nut or stove is that the larger stove chunks will allow more air to pass through the burning coal, resulting in a faster, "hotter" burn ... and smaller pea-sized would restrict the airflow for a longer burn.

Good score on that one! Price was right, sounds like... 8-)

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Mon. Nov. 09, 2009 11:06 pm

Welcome to the Coal Forum. I've been using a Locke Warm Morning 617-A. I burn anthracite, wood, bituminous, channel coal, rice (it was old and didn't taste right anymore), trash, well just about anything that burns. Anthracite is hands down the best fuel. I have found, against all good advice, that the anthracite burns better if I block the passages built into the firebrick with course ash. The stove will burn much hotter that way cuz all the air is going through the burning coal instead of by-passing it and up the chinmey. If I'm burning bit or wood I leave the passages open. Bit and wood like mostly secondary air, anthracite wants almost all primary air from under the fire. I started a tread over a year ago about it. Search 617-A and you should find it. If I burn pea coal I keep the bed shallow and feed it more often. The pea coal with smother itself if I make it too deep. Nut coal is a good all around size and by far the most common in my area. I love stove coal when I can get it. It is counter intuitive but the larger sizes burn hotter and faster. That's nice when you really need the heat. You really have to watch how much air you give it. I NEVER leave the house or sleep with the draft open more than a finger. If I did the stove would be glowing and that it dangerous. In my humble opinion bit is good if it is free. It requires more fiddling around than anthracite. Flares up in the beginning, make lots of soot and smoke and it fuses together. When it settles down it burns a long time but doesn't put out as much heat. When I need serious STEADY heat I burn the anthracite.

envisage
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Werner Foundry 350a
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 400, Fire Boss Wood/Coal Hyrbrid
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat, Pea, Chestnut and Stove

Post by envisage » Tue. Nov. 10, 2009 4:22 am

Were you joking about burning rice in the Warm Morning? I have the Model 400, and rice would fall right through the grates into the ash pan below. Do you put a layer onto a nice bed of nut or stove?

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Tue. Nov. 10, 2009 5:24 am

Cograts on the good find! Nice!

The next best thing to an owners manual is to post a few pics. Front, back, & grates. People here can look at the size and shape and give all kinds of good help.....or bad news if that be the case, but, it sounds like you have a pretty good unit. One tip...if you do not have one, get a CO detector. Today. Ohhh, OK... two tips....The next one is about draft. It's important to know it and control it. If you don't you can send a lot of heat up the chimney.

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Tue. Nov. 10, 2009 7:03 am

No the rice did not fall through the grates. I started with a coal fire and added the bagged rice on top of it. It formed a crust that loosely held it together. I had puchased 1020 lbs (not a type-O) back durring Desert STORM. We ate about 2/3 of it before it didn't taste right. It was on sale at 10 cents a pound at the time so I figure I didn't loose anything.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Tue. Nov. 10, 2009 2:32 pm

The particular coal can make a great deal of difference as to ease of shaking. Some do not want to break up easily and tend to jam the grate. Try some from a different supplier.

The circular shows the fan that was available.

\Richard

Attachments

Warm Morning.jpg
.JPG | 138.4KB | Warm Morning.jpg

Tunapop

Post by Tunapop » Wed. Dec. 02, 2009 8:41 pm

These are pics of a homemade heatilator I managed to install on my stove. Any thoughts?

Attachments

IMG_1682.JPG
.JPG | 96.8KB | IMG_1682.JPG
IMG_1683.JPG
.JPG | 70.9KB | IMG_1683.JPG
IMG_1684.JPG
.JPG | 121KB | IMG_1684.JPG
IMG_1687.JPG
.JPG | 104.9KB | IMG_1687.JPG

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Wed. Dec. 02, 2009 8:47 pm

I don't see it installed in the photos you posted but I do see it in your avatar..? Does it work good..vibrate much?

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Wed. Dec. 02, 2009 9:29 pm

envisage wrote:Were you joking about burning rice in the Warm Morning?
cokehead wrote:No the rice did not fall through the grates. I started with a coal fire and added the bagged rice on top of it. It formed a crust that loosely held it together. I had puchased 1020 lbs (not a type-O) back durring Desert STORM. We ate about 2/3 of it before it didn't taste right. It was on sale at 10 cents a pound at the time so I figure I didn't loose anything.
Now wait a minute! You are saying you burned honest-to-goodness edible rice? Not rice COAL, but the stuff that grows in rice paddies? Not that I'm surprised it would burn, but I think everybody reading your initial post assumed it was rice coal....or maybe just me....

cokehead

Post by cokehead » Wed. Dec. 02, 2009 9:34 pm

That is what I'm saying rice, the kind you eat. It was old.

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Wed. Dec. 02, 2009 9:34 pm

He said"(it was old and didn't taste right anymore)", I couldn't Believe it when I read it the first time :shock: :D

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Dec. 02, 2009 10:05 pm

Tunapop wrote:These are pics of a homemade heatilator I managed to install on my stove. Any thoughts?
Beautiful installation and a nice neat job on the heat recovery unit. I hate to say it but that type of unit works best on a wood stove where massive amounts of gases are released when the wood is heated. Stack temps. go sky high and a unit such as yours can capture that wasted heat. A coal stove does not have that problem so stack temp. is low, at least when firing at normal rates. It would be much better if you could adapt that fan to the opening in the stove intended for it, where it will increase the efficiency of the heat absorbing area of the stove itself.

Richard

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. Dec. 03, 2009 2:33 am

nice stove! I have one too....got it free, works great when I need extra heat in the garage

jersey
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warmmorning 400
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by jersey » Thu. Dec. 03, 2009 7:32 pm

Hi,the hole is for a fan it was an option a the time of purchase I have had a 460b and two 400 ,00 means 100lb 60 means 60lb they are great stoves . they made a414,617,523, they came with out the cover and 460, 400. ihave some paper work they all came with a baro when shipped enjoy they are a hard find you can call the stove manufacturers 18008740791 for parts.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”