How Many Clinkers Do You Get?

Squeaks

Post by Squeaks » Sat. Nov. 07, 2009 7:26 pm

I got about 2 sandwich bag fulls of clinkers. It seems to be an excessive number since I cleaned out the ash tray on Thursday. I probably threw in 10 shovel fulls since Thursday.
Thanks...

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sat. Nov. 07, 2009 10:14 pm

You might be running it on the hot side. The definition of "on the hot side" differs with the quality and burning characteristics of the coal you're using. Here's a few thing I've learned to control clinkering:
  • Try backing down on the amount of air feed.
  • If you liven the fire before recharging, watch how hot you get the fire before adding the new charge.

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Sat. Nov. 07, 2009 10:41 pm

I have to agree with VigIIPeaBurner. How hot are you running the stove? I remember when I was a newbie I was so unsure about the strength of my fire that I was running hot 24/7 and had a lot of clinkers. Now I know that just because there aren't any blue ladies dancing doesn't mean the fire is out or even anywhere new going out. I run my stove cooler and I am no longer being chased from the room by the overwhelming heat and I don't have any clinkers to speak of. Coal will burn for a long time without flames before going out. The fact that it burns from the bottom up makes it hard to see embers or flames at times. I suggest turning your air input down so that your stove burns cooler, more evenly. Watch your thermometers, if your stove top or pipe temperatures start to move below what you need to heat your room to the desired temperature then you need to adjust the air intake. Finding this balance may take time but you will be more comfortable in the room and you shouldn't have clinkers. Lisa

jpete
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mk II
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut, Pea
Other Heating: Dino juice

Post by jpete » Sat. Nov. 07, 2009 11:22 pm

Yeah, my first few years I got a lot. Now that I'm a few years in, I am getting baby powder. :D

I don't know if it's me or the coal but I'm impressed with myself so far this year. ;)

9mmruger

Post by 9mmruger » Thu. Nov. 12, 2009 2:36 pm

New this year to coal as well. Have not had a clinker in my 30-95. Using Blashak nut.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”