Max. Burn Time on a Hitzer 30-95?

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Thu. Nov. 05, 2009 6:01 pm

I just got back home after being away for 34 1/2 hours. I had the thermostat set fairly low. There was about 1/4 of a hopper of coal left and the fire bed was glowing a nice deep red. I shook it down and did not get a lot of ash. I opened the draft up and the fire came back up to a good bright red and started pumping out more heat in about an hour. The stove temp. was 175* when I got home. Can I get up to 58 hours out of a burn:?: Then I could be away an additional day. :)

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Thu. Nov. 05, 2009 8:24 pm

To answer your question of a 58 hour burn, I'm going to say NO! I think your 34 hour burn is pushing it, as far as getting any kind of heat from the stove. I will say one thing about the little 30-95, it's a super good little stove. It will crank the heat when it needs to. At the same time, it can be run low for many hours. As far as just keeping the fire going, it has amazed me. I have had times I thought I'd let it burn out on it's own, and two days later, I'd walk into the shop, and it would still be going. Going good enough, that if I wanted to tend the stove, and kick the fire up, I could.

duck
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30 95

Post by duck » Thu. Nov. 05, 2009 10:34 pm

Grizzly,
Last Wednesday evening Ioaded our Hitzer, figured we'd find it out Friday, not so was still heating on Saturday. It finally gave up sometime during Saturday night, never touched it from Wednesday on. It is unbelieveable how low your can set these little jewels and keep the fire going. Sure glad we purchased it as a replacement this Spring.

9mmruger

Post by 9mmruger » Fri. Nov. 06, 2009 9:29 am

This is a great thread to read. I am planning a trip that will cover about 3 and 1/2 days to go to Missouri to see the Andy Williams Christmas show. Leaving on a Saturday afternoon and getting back Wednesday morning. I plan to stoke the 30-95 just before I walk out the door, pile some extra around the sides and turn it down to about 3. I will light the propane furnace and set the temp at 55. I am hoping that the furnace will only have to run for about 24 hours at the max. This thread gives me hope! I will report back after the trip. Have a Happy Thanksgiving all!

kim

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Fri. Nov. 06, 2009 10:48 am

That is what I did last year when we went away on trips...
The Mark II was usually recoverable...
the gas furnace never kicked on...

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Sat. Nov. 07, 2009 5:01 pm

Thanks All
At least I can expect to leave very early one day and arrive back home late the next day and expect to have a fire going. I don't care if my kerosene heater comes on to supplement the low output of the Hitzer while I am away. I just don't want to make a new fire from scratch. I am operating on the one match plan. :D

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Sat. Nov. 07, 2009 7:50 pm

grizzly2 wrote:Can I get up to 58 hours out of a burn?
My Harman Mark I is about the same size as the 30-95, but without the benefit of a hopper. When I set it for about 175 degree surface temps, it runs 48 hours without being touched, with enough coal left to be easily revived. So I bet you can do it.

Paperboy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak; Atlanta Homesteader

Post by Paperboy » Sat. Nov. 07, 2009 10:26 pm

We recently went away over a long weekend. I filled the Kodiak hopper Friday morning before we left. We didn't return home until Monday.
Sunday evening, our son had stopped by the house, called and wanted to know if he should add coal and shake the ashes. That was about 56 hours, and he was able to revive the fire so it was going when we got home Monday afternoon.
I'm not sure how much coal your Hitzer will hold compared to the Alaska, but you might be able to get a few more hours than you did, if you have a real low fire.

duck
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30 95

Post by duck » Sat. Nov. 07, 2009 10:48 pm

Grizzly,
You mentioned a kerosene heater, what do you have that automatic?

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle » Sun. Nov. 08, 2009 8:34 pm

SAY Grizz - - We have a Hitzer 503 and regularly leave Fridays for weekends @ the "rancho" - 4P Friday to 2-3P Sunday
is no problem with the air at minimum setting ( no auto draft regulators on the inserts - our 354 has this but there
-just is no place for it on an insert) We do not shake the fire immediately - but open the air slots/or ash door to get
the fire really burning ................ a couple times we shook immediately and then really had to play with the fire to get a full bed of "coals" again. WE cannot go three (3) days! Good Luck! baldeagle

9mmruger

Post by 9mmruger » Mon. Nov. 23, 2009 12:25 pm

Okay, so here is my results for the 30-95. I shook it down, and loaded it up on Saturday afternoon around 3 p.m.. I got back on Tuesday evening at 9 p.m. Stove was just slightly warm to the touch. No fire evident. House temp was 58 degrees. When I cleaned it out to restart fresh there were two hot coals left in the ash, but lots of unburned coal so I am guessing that the lack of shaking down the ashes smothered the fire due to lack of updraft. The draft door was open at 3.5 on the dial.

Running nicely now.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”