D.S. Machine Stoves

RickGuinan

Post by RickGuinan » Wed. Oct. 28, 2009 10:22 am

How are these stoves compared to other brands? I had a guy who sells Harman tell me they were not very good and a guy who sells DS tell me they were great. Of course each will say that. Looking for some unbiased opinions by anyone experienced.
Stove to be used part time in a cabin.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Oct. 28, 2009 10:35 am

The forum has a search function in the top panel. Below is what I found for you. A few members have the DS and like it. They both appear to be robust units, Harman has been around a long time and was recently sold to a larger corporation. I'm not sure how that will play out in the long run, but their dealer network is lacking "talent" and their customer service IIRC is non-existant. It is a great stove though. Check out what the members have to say about their DS stoves.

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

RickGuinan

Post by RickGuinan » Wed. Oct. 28, 2009 2:27 pm

Thank you for your reply. I will read these. I am also new to using a forum like this, so forgive my mistakes.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Oct. 28, 2009 2:33 pm

RickGuinan wrote:I am also new to using a forum like this, so forgive my mistakes.
We were all new at this at one time or another and I'm pretty sure the only mistake you can make around here is burning something other than coal. :lol:

jpd989
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D.S. Machine Basement Stove #3
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat and Chestnut

Post by jpd989 » Wed. Oct. 28, 2009 4:09 pm

I am burning a basement model #3 right now. I believe I made a very good decision in buying it. It heats like a bear, the bi-metallic air inlet control is simple to use. And works. I believe what I paid for mine was less than half of a what they charge for any of the Harmans. And it has a higher BTU rating than the mark3. I have 105,000 BTU the mark 3 is I believe only 92 or 93,000 btu's. The shaker grate system is very similar the the Harmans and the ash pan is a good size and easy to get at. I am happy. John

RickGuinan

Post by RickGuinan » Wed. Oct. 28, 2009 7:56 pm

I am looking to use it to heat a cabin in Tioga County, Pa. Not a full time residence, used for hunting, getting away. There is a local dealer who can sell and install a 96,000 BTU unit. I like the idea of not being electricity dependent but I am concerned about ease of use, start up and shut down, like going there for a weekend concerns me. Will it be a wise choice in terms of heating the structure relatively quickly and shutting down and then leaving it sit maybe for a few weeks until I can get back. The cabin is 20 x34 with 2nd floor loft. Getting the coal will not be a problem. I am leaning towards purchasing this unit, but wanted some opinions outside of the guy who wants to sell it.

NosmoKng

Post by NosmoKng » Fri. Oct. 30, 2009 2:11 pm

My Newstyle Champion, which you can search and find here is awesome. If you want to heat quick build a wood fire. I did initially to burn the paint in and it really heated up fast. I did it the second time and then threw the coal in. When you put the coal in it will cool off for a while till it gets going. Anthro takes a while to build up.. You could try putting less on and let it get realy hot then add more. I like a coal stove for wood because the draft is really well controll from the bottom and you can get it going like a flamethrower. DS are good stoves.

Homer+1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D S Machine, Harman
Coal Size/Type: Stove & Nut

Post by Homer+1 » Tue. Nov. 10, 2009 8:23 pm

I have a basement stove #4 with hopper my first coal stove. It has been set at the first mark above low since Oct 2,running about 225-250 surface temp. No problems at all real happy here. :D Jim

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”