Fired up the New Hitzer This Morning

sourbeer

Post by sourbeer » Fri. Oct. 16, 2009 10:08 am

Have had my new 50-93 for several months, but just got around to setting it up. I put in a Baro as well while I was putting in the new flue pipe. Was a little nervous about getting it lit, after reading all of the tales of woe regarding getting the coal lit. I bought lump charcoal, put some paper and cardboard on the grates wtih some of the lump charcoal across the grates and lit it. As the charcoal got going, I added a layer of coal. I was cautiously adding a layer at a time, still haven't gotten up to the hopper. My stove temp is just over 400F now, stove pipe above the baro reads 175F.

New stove stinks, looking forward to shutting the window and door so that it can actually start heating the house.

I also need to set the baro, I've got it set very conservatively right now since I have no way to measure draft at this point. I will leave it this way until I can figure out how to measure draft and set it accordingly.

thanks for all the help here, i'm up and burning with the dancing blue ladies.

bear creek burnout

Post by bear creek burnout » Fri. Oct. 16, 2009 10:12 am

New stove stinks, looking forward to shutting the window and door so that it can actually start heating the house.
Ahhhh that new stove scent......I don't miss that at all but it's over quickly and well worth the inconvenience once the heat radiates around you....
Good luck with your new stove....post some pics for us to enjoy.....

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Fri. Oct. 16, 2009 1:24 pm

Congrats on getting it going. :D There is/was a manometer loaner program here at one point that would allow you to borrow a manometer to measure your draft and set your baro. Or, you could head to the Grainger store up in New Castle (no sales tax) and buy one (~$40) to keep installed so you can tell if draft is changing due to ash build up or whatever.

I started a wood fire this morning for the first time this season. It's already up to 73* in here. Probably keep it going off and on through the weekend but since it is supposed to get to the mid-60's next week I'll let it die out then. Usually don't get going full bore with coal until sometime in Nov.

9mmruger

Post by 9mmruger » Fri. Oct. 16, 2009 1:48 pm

Congrats on getting the Hitzer running. You are going to love it. I am a newby at coal this year and I already love it. Very clean. Emptying ash out of my 30-95 is simple and no mess. Keep warm!

sourbeer

Post by sourbeer » Sat. Oct. 17, 2009 9:18 am

here she is, all fired up. it wasn't as hard to start as I had feared and I will probably let it go out when/if we get another warm spell. I was actually looking forward to the cold snap so I could spark it up. Nice and cozy, yet seems very controllable. So far so good.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”