Fabricate Coal Grates for Shenandoah R77

dougunder

Post by dougunder » Mon. Oct. 05, 2009 9:51 am

Hi guys, (first post here)

I just got a Shenandoah R77 off craigslist I'd like to convert to coal. From my research it seems the only difference between this an the coal variant (r77c) is the grates. New ones are kind of a stupid price (more then I paid for the stove) and I'm a welder/fabricator with access to a water jet. So, any tips/tricks from this knowledgeable group here what to watch for and what would be the best design to go for.(cut from one plate or welded bar stock/round stock? stainless, mild steel or hardened? etc.) I'm kinda a newb with stoves in general. I'll post pictures when I get home today.

Thanks

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Mon. Oct. 05, 2009 12:46 pm

Welcome to the forum:

If you do a search on the forum you will find this topic has come up before. It has been suggested that the best would be to use thick stainless steel. It might warp just a little,however, it will last for many years. Others have made grates out of rebar. Other members who have experience with this will be a wealth of knowledge for your concerns and any problems you might encounter along the way.

The snowman.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Oct. 05, 2009 1:22 pm

dougunder wrote:New ones are kind of a stupid price (more then I paid for the stove)
They may well be worth the price when all is said and done. There are a few websites that supply coal grates, I would see if you could adapt something that is available to fit your needs. Cast is the industry standard for a reason. Not saying steels won't work, just that you will have a lot less grief in the long run.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”