Advice on Stove Purchase

icarus1

Post by icarus1 » Fri. Oct. 02, 2009 10:23 pm

Hello, I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice on a stove purchase. I want to add a coal stove to my basement for radient heat and plan to burn anthracite. I'm looking to start small in size and cost to see how I like the process and if all goes well will upgrade to a bigger stove in a few years. I found an older Shenandoah R65 that has been refurbished. The stove is a round barrel-type with round grates including shaker. Interestingly, the access to the inside of the stove is from the top. I'm not sure of this design and how good or safe it is. It seems odd to open from the top. Any suggestions on the purchase. I've included a link to the company website. Thanks

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Fri. Oct. 02, 2009 10:35 pm

Welcome Icarus1! From your link, after reviewing the companies history and overview, I personally would seek a unit made by those folks in anthracite country. I am sure you will recieve many good answers to your question.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Oct. 03, 2009 6:49 am

As long as you can reach through the ash door with a poker to poke up under the grates you should be OK.

rebbelbiker
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by rebbelbiker » Sat. Oct. 03, 2009 7:57 am

icarus1 wrote:Hello, I'm new to the forum and looking for some advice on a stove purchase. I want to add a coal stove to my basement for radient heat and plan to burn anthracite. I'm looking to start small in size and cost to see how I like the process and if all goes well will upgrade to a bigger stove in a few years. I found an older Shenandoah R65 that has been refurbished. The stove is a round barrel-type with round grates including shaker. Interestingly, the access to the inside of the stove is from the top. I'm not sure of this design and how good or safe it is. It seems odd to open from the top. Any suggestions on the purchase. I've included a link to the company website. Thanks

**Broken Link(s) Removed**
The model R65 has doors. The model R60 does not have loading door and is loaded from the top. I don't know where you can get a R60 manual, go to Sierra website and you can download the R65 manual. Mark

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Sat. Oct. 03, 2009 1:29 pm

Icarua1:

Welcome to the forum. Once you burn coal you will not want to burn anything else. Read through the posts on the forum, there have been a lot of posts concerning the best coal stove to purchase, whether it be hand fed or stoker. Once you decide what way you would like to go, you can find a lot of good used and refurbished models for sale at reasonable prices. Don't be afraid to ask questions, someone on the forum will be able to help you with your question of problem. What kind of chimney would you be hooking your coal stove into (clay chimney or stainless steel)?

The snowman.

icarus1

Post by icarus1 » Sat. Oct. 03, 2009 7:19 pm

Thanks all for the feedback. I have an old stone house and chimney with a good clay liner. The chimney is a good 50 feet high. I think I will need to consider how much draft it draws. I imagine it could be too much draft.

Razzler
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Razzler » Sat. Oct. 03, 2009 7:49 pm

icarus1 wrote:I think I will need to consider how much draft it draws. I imagine it could be too much draft.
The way to solve that is with a barometric damper. ;)
http://www.fieldcontrols.com/draftcontrol.php

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”