I Am Official Ready!!!

dtzackus
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar LCC

Post by dtzackus » Wed. Sep. 23, 2009 5:34 pm

Got the stove pipe on, new firebrick cut and installed (still cannot believe that I cut two 1 1/2 inches wide to make both sides totally complete), brand new ash pan fits like a glove and sitting on over 4 tons of UAE nut coal.

Life is good, bring on the cold weather!!!

Dan

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Wed. Sep. 23, 2009 6:01 pm

It's OK to wait a few weeks, we will be wishing for a 40 degree day before you know it. Did you screw the stove pipe section together? 3 in each section? :o :D :roll:

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Thu. Sep. 24, 2009 2:19 am

dtzackus wrote:Got the stove pipe on, new firebrick cut and installed (still cannot believe that I cut two 1 1/2 inches wide to make both sides totally complete), brand new ash pan fits like a glove and sitting on over 4 tons of UAE nut coal.

Life is good, bring on the cold weather!!!

Dan
I can't believe you cut the bricks either your stove takes 12 full size standard firebricks why did you cut bricks
look on page 15 it shows the brick layout in your stove
GibraltorManual[1].pdf
.PDF | 1.1MB | GibraltorManual[1].pdf

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Thu. Sep. 24, 2009 5:28 am

Congrats on being ready. Make sure to gaurd that match. I knew one guy that accidently used *the* match to light a bonfire and then froze that winter 'cause he couldn't light the coal stove. ;)

Mountainman37

Post by Mountainman37 » Thu. Sep. 24, 2009 6:51 am

Freddy, I love your "guard the match" quip for the one match types....never thought I'd join the club but with help from this group I found I could light a coal fire and run it 24/7 for the entire season!

I'm almost ready. The stove is about set, I am adding a draft gauge this year to watch my efficiency a little closer and the supplier has contacted me that my 2 1/2 tons of stove size is now in waiting to be picked up.

dtzackus

Post by dtzackus » Thu. Sep. 24, 2009 8:01 am

Mine holds five firebricks in the rear, the very last one, I could not get in, so instead of trying to force it, I just barely cut 1/8" or even 1/16" off with my wet saw. On both sides, it takes 3, but I had 1 1/2" gap, so I figured since I had the wet saw out already, I might as well cut those pieces. Now it is ready for some dancing blue ladies.

Yes, 3 screws in each connection of the stove pipe, I had a good teacher come help set me up last year. Again, a big thanks to Coal Berner aka J.C.

Dan

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. Sep. 24, 2009 8:10 am

sitting on over 4 tons of UAE nut coal.
UAE's coal is excellent. I had some for the hand-fed in the past, burning it now in the stoker.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post by coal berner » Thu. Sep. 24, 2009 3:11 pm

dtzackus wrote:Mine holds five firebricks in the rear, the very last one, I could not get in, so instead of trying to force it, I just barely cut 1/8" or even 1/16" off with my wet saw. On both sides, it takes 3, but I had 1 1/2" gap, so I figured since I had the wet saw out already, I might as well cut those pieces. Now it is ready for some dancing blue ladies.

Yes, 3 screws in each connection of the stove pipe, I had a good teacher come help set me up last year. Again, a big thanks to Coal Berner aka J.C.

Dan
Yes your LCC takes 5 across the back and 4 on each side Like the DDI insert 13 brick toltal .
You have to put the sides in first from back to front of the stove then put in the 5 arcoss the back the last side bricks in the rear kind of overlaps the the two end rear bricks trust me there should be no gaps and you should not have to cut any bricks if you put them in the correct way ;)

dtzackus

Post by dtzackus » Thu. Sep. 24, 2009 6:58 pm

J.C., maybe mine has a modification done to it. On the very back, there is a brace on both sides exactly where the firebrick go ( I removed a brick from the side and I took a picture, the pen shows this), in front there is another bracket, but that is where the two coal banking bars connect. For whatever reason, they only allow five bricks in the back, and 3 plus 1 1/2" brick. There is no other way of doing it, maybe the previous owner had added those back brackets for whatever reason. Also, I have a rear brick retainer for the top, that is aftermarket or a "home-mader".

Must we forget that this stove came from Stoves N Stuff....lol
back brace.JPG
.JPG | 15.6KB | back brace.JPG
This picture show that brace on the side, it only is where the firebricks are, why I have no idea...
coal banking bar support.JPG
.JPG | 15.7KB | coal banking bar support.JPG
This pictures show the support bar for the two coal banking bars.
bricks in.JPG
.JPG | 15.7KB | bricks in.JPG
This is a picture of all the bricks in.

Dan

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Thu. Sep. 24, 2009 11:18 pm

dtzackus wrote:J.C., maybe mine has a modification done to it. On the very back, there is a brace on both sides exactly where the firebrick go ( I removed a brick from the side and I took a picture, the pen shows this), in front there is another bracket, but that is where the two coal banking bars connect. For whatever reason, they only allow five bricks in the back, and 3 plus 1 1/2" brick. There is no other way of doing it, maybe the previous owner had added those back brackets for whatever reason. Also, I have a rear brick retainer for the top, that is aftermarket or a "home-mader".

The attachment back brace.JPG is no longer available
This picture show that brace on the side, it only is where the firebricks are, why I have no idea...
The attachment coal banking bar support.JPG is no longer available
The attachment bricks in.JPG is no longer available

Dan
Yes I see it I will come over and look at it Remember I had to take the whole inside out last year when you got the stove because the experts up there and the firebricks and the retaining bars in wrong they had them like a V shaped firebox There should be no space in the front corner where the coal banking bar is the brick should fit against the front of the stove next to the front grate yoke past the coal banking bar if it is up that far then there will be enough room for the 4 bricks to fit in on the sides have you looked at the manual on pages 4 & 15 it shows the inside of your stove and the layout of the firebox
GibraltorManual[1].pdf
.PDF | 1.1MB | GibraltorManual[1].pdf

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Fri. Sep. 25, 2009 6:52 pm

dtzackus wrote:J.C., maybe mine has a modification done to it. On the very back, there is a brace on both sides exactly where the firebrick go ( I removed a brick from the side and I took a picture, the pen shows this), in front there is another bracket, but that is where the two coal banking bars connect. For whatever reason, they only allow five bricks in the back, and 3 plus 1 1/2" brick. There is no other way of doing it, maybe the previous owner had added those back brackets for whatever reason. Also, I have a rear brick retainer for the top, that is aftermarket or a "home-mader".

back brace.JPG
coal banking bar support.JPG
bricks in.JPG

Dan
Dan that brace is the Support Angles for the grate Side Retainers they go on top of it should be one in each corner then
the rear grate yoke goes in with the higher part with the lip facing the grates with the side retainers in place on the support angles the bricks will be above clearing the angles You now will have enough of room to put the 4 full bricks in on the sides along with the 5 across the back look at your pics the rear bricks are lower then the sides they should be level all the way around the firbox Try again take everthing out and start over you will have to buy some more bricks being you cut a few up trying to fit them in the wrong way . Look on page 15 of the Manual read A B & C lines it tells you how to put the grates firebricks and supports back together.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”