Water Heater Coil

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Feb. 05, 2007 9:14 am

Jimmy, just for grins, try running the circulator continously. You may not get enough heat transfer to your snap-disc and the water is really hot in the loop above the fire, but can't transfer to the snapdisc. Once the snap disc brings on the circulator, the water cools the pipe and disc shutting down the circulator. So you get an on/off, wait on/off

If you circulate the water continously it will be constantly picking up some heat from the 1200* fire, and even a little over a period of several hours will net a lot of hot water.

Let us know if it works.

Greg L

wenchris

Post by wenchris » Mon. Feb. 05, 2007 2:17 pm

Greg, circulator has been running non-stop since last night. Do you think if the water was to pass through the coil slower that it would pick up more heat or is it all relative. Going to borrow my neighbors laser thermo and see what temps are at the various points in the system. Right now the stove is running at about 600* and I can keep my hand on the pipe that is coming out of the coil, its hot but its not burning my hand. Maybe I just loosing heat on the trip back to the tempering tank/kick heater, all the lines are insulated thou. (basement is about 60*) Air coming out of the kick-heater is 102.6*
Stay warm Jimmy
Last edited by wenchris on Mon. Feb. 05, 2007 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Mon. Feb. 05, 2007 4:07 pm

Slower water = hotter water.

rouxzy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut / Anthracite

Post by rouxzy » Mon. Feb. 05, 2007 9:48 pm

Jimmy,
You are putting out much more heat in your stove than I am and I'm getting plenty of heat out of my kick heaters. Let the circulator pump run continuously. Do your toe kick heaters have thermostats(not sure if that is the right terminology) on them where as they will automatically turn on and off by themselves? If so do not over ride that and run them continually. The toe kick heaters will act like the radiator in your car, where they will cool the water down. You need to let the system get a chance to heat the water first. I have a Taco 007 circ pump that runs constantly and my return pipes will get hot, needless to say the pipe coming from the coil gets extremely hot. This is before the fans kick on. After the fans kick on for a while the pipes do cool down to the point where I can grab the return and touch the supply lines. Good Luck.
Tom

wenchris

Post by wenchris » Wed. Feb. 07, 2007 11:42 am

I had rewired it so that the surface mount aquastat (thermostat) was not hooked up at all. Have it wired to the circulator right now. On all the time, probably cooling the water too much, like ya said. Worked a 24 and had car trouble on the way home. Have to take care of that first before I start fooling around with the heater. House is warm, I'm tired, it's cold out and the car needs attention. Tomorrow is an other day.
Stay warm, Jimmy

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”