What Would You Buy and Why?

oros35
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Cozeburn OWB burning Bit
Baseburners & Antiques: 1912 Smith & Anthony Hub Heater #215

Post by oros35 » Fri. Sep. 04, 2009 10:34 pm

What would you buy and why for a hand fired stove?

Why do you choose the brand you do?

I like the alaska kodiak but would like someone to convince me otherwise. Just for comparison sake.

I stopped in at Thompson Brothers Coal today and looked at one. I really liked it, but that is the only type they have. So for comparison sake I'd like to hear why I should or shouldn't buy something else. And for comparison price too, say the Kodiak is about $2000 Mid range equiped (Hopper, no blower, not fancied up)

And also like to say it was very pleasant talking to Thompson Brothers, I used to go there with my grandfather 20 years ago, first time I have been back. Still great people and nice to do business with.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Fri. Sep. 04, 2009 11:59 pm

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sat. Sep. 05, 2009 3:38 am

For starters, I'm not familiar with the alaskan kodiak. I chose the HITZER E-Z Flow due to the very well engineering; flat grates, finned heat exchanger, gravity hopper, fan, 3 sided ash pan, auto & manual draft settings, price(about $1450.00-$1550.00), local dealer, and over-all simplicity. I've been around many different stoves most all my life. Never have I seen a stove perform like the HITZER. I was so happy with the performance of the HITZER, the following year, I bought a second one for the shop. Very Good Stoves!

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Sat. Sep. 05, 2009 8:28 am

How about one of these?
**Broken Link(s) Removed**
**Broken Link(s) Removed** I really like the look of the Chubby and it is easy to operate. Check out this Video. http://vimeo.com/3060371 The Chubby has been around for thirty years and puts out some serious heat with nice long burn times. You can get it with a rear or top 6" vent and an optional blower fan. For the price, you can't beat it. I have a Jr. Chubby in front of my family room fireplace. I liked it so much that I ordered another Jr. Chubby for my living room fireplace. I also ordered a larger Chubby for my shop room in the basement of the house.

The other stoves mentioned are nice too, but I like the look and function of the simple old Chubby. The Chubby is plain but fancy. The design is simple, very easy to operate, and just plain works! I bought some of the reconditioned Chubbys and if I wasn't told that they were reconditioned, you would think that they were just built yesterday, the workmanship is that good.

I give the Chubby an AAA++++++!!! :idea: :D DOUG

sharkman8810
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 82 ul
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by sharkman8810 » Sat. Sep. 05, 2009 9:49 am

I try and get the right style for the job. Basement hand fired furnace type, the hitze 82 or ds machine is good. If you want something for a den, then you can maybe go Harman mark series or hitzer 50-93 or 354. I am not real famiar with the alaska models, but I hear they are good stoves. It is as much right style then seeing who has what will work for you.

jpd989
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hand Fed Coal Stove: D.S. Machine Basement Stove #3
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat and Chestnut

Post by jpd989 » Sat. Sep. 05, 2009 8:36 pm

I just bought the D.S Basement #3 stove. I like the way it looks. I like the sheet metal sides already on it to convey the warm air up into the hood I have to duct the air to the upstairs. And I think the price was very fair.

Perky
Location: NEPA - Poconos "the higher elevations" where we have are own weather!

Post by Perky » Sat. Sep. 05, 2009 9:49 pm

Finally decided on an Alaska Kodiak. Been burning a France Belge for 24 years. (non-electric, gravity fed hopper). Looked at Harmons, nice stoves, but you have to hand feed, shovel by shovel, in through the front. Also liked the Hitzer 50-93, but it only holds 50 lbs. The Kodiak holds up to 120 and has a round grate set up similar to the Franco. Need it to heat the whole house. Read good things about it. Hope it does the job.
If you do decide on the Kodiak, let me know - we can compare notes.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sat. Sep. 05, 2009 9:57 pm

All of these stoves that were mention are good it will all depend on what you like. Alaska Hitzer & Harman have been around for over 30 years that should tell you that there doing something right . You also might want to look at Keystoker
keystoker has been around since 1947 . Baker stoves is another old Co. D.S. Stoves would be the newest kid on the block looks like a nice unit . If you want a Stoker stove then Leisure line Stove would be the one to buy .

http://www.leisurelinestoves.com/index.html
**Broken Link(s) Removed**opened in 1946

http://www.hitzer.com/products/
opened in 1975
**Broken Link(s) Removed**opend in 1977

http://www.bakerstoves.com/
opened 1977
**Broken Link(s) Removed**opened 1979
**Broken Link(s) Removed**D.S. Stoves late 2007 early 2008

http://www.rtstoves.com/

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Sun. Sep. 06, 2009 2:54 am

I like antique stoves. Not only are they beautiful, they are easy to use and maintain. They were built when coal was a part of every one's life and their design reflects that. I just bought a Glenwood Baseburner which was made around 1905. It holds up to 50 pounds of coal and will easily hold a fire up to 30 or more hours. It has new grates, new firepot and a new jacket so it is good for decades more of reliable use. I also have my little Stanley Argand Parlor stove which was made in 1891. If you look in the how to start a fire thread you can see some videos of how to start it. I wouldn't consider buying a modern stove unless it was a Coal Chubby. The Chubby has the same care put into it that the stoves of yesteryear have and again parts are easily had if it needs repair. There are many choices out there, both old and new. Each has it's own advantages and drawbacks. Choose what works best for you.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Sep. 06, 2009 7:44 am

As far as new stoves go...I agree with JC.

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Sun. Sep. 06, 2009 7:53 am

My DVC500 is not too style-ish (black box syndrome) but its VERY functional and robust. I'll take functionality over style every time.

oros35

Post by oros35 » Tue. Sep. 08, 2009 11:05 am

Thanks!

Lots of good info to think about.

Now I have a new one to look into! Didn't know about the DS stoves.

Wish I knew more about the older ones. This is my first time going the coal/wood route (have only owned my own house for 2 1/2 years and used oil growing up) Pretty much just reading as much as I can here and learn as I go. I was hoping buying new would be a bit more user

Kinda funny, I go to talk to the dealers around here, I start asking questions they refer me to the manufacturers website, which I went to and thought they were pretty lacking, and thus the reason I went to the dealer.... They pretty much say 'looks like you've done your research' and sorry can't really tell you any more other than what the website says.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Tue. Sep. 08, 2009 7:10 pm

I too agree with JC.

oros35

Post by oros35 » Wed. Oct. 14, 2009 7:29 pm

Bought a 1912 #215 Hub Heater!! From Barnstable. I'll have some pics of it installed soon!

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Wed. Oct. 14, 2009 8:45 pm

oros35 wrote:I go to talk to the dealers around here, I start asking questions they refer me to the manufacturers website
The dealer may not know much except that a particular franchise was the only one available to him when he decided to add coal stoves to his lineup. And his sales staff may know even less.

JC provided a good list of newer stoves. My preference would be one of those. They are generally welded steel, no joints to worry about like on old cast iron units. No worry about getting parts. Plenty of people on this forum already using them, who can provide help if you should need it.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”