Tempcoal Stoves Anyone?

ChipontheCape

Post by ChipontheCape » Sun. Aug. 30, 2009 10:58 am

I just bought a used Tempcoal stove. It is a similar design as a Crane Cooker - a stove I used and loved, back in the 1980's. The company stopped building stoves in the late '80's. Does anyone have any experience with one of these? Thanks.

EasyRay
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Pea,Nut or Stove

Post by EasyRay » Sun. Aug. 30, 2009 2:16 pm

This is a picture of a TempCoal ll I used for many years. (About 30 years) The only thing I didn't like about it was that you had to open the ash door to shake the grates. Other than that a great stove.It was a top loader and easy to use.

Attachments

DSC_8403.JPG
.JPG | 52.5KB | DSC_8403.JPG

ChipontheCape

Post by ChipontheCape » Sun. Aug. 30, 2009 8:42 pm

Thanks for the great review Ray! Ash shouldn't be a big issue, since it will be in the unfinished basement. The grates are in good condition, firebrick has a couple of minor cracks, and the previous owner only burned wood in it. Best part was I found it on Craig's List advertised for $100, and almost didn't bother answering the ad.

EasyRay
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman TLC 2000
Coal Size/Type: Pea,Nut or Stove

Post by EasyRay » Fri. Sep. 11, 2009 10:03 am

I use to leave the top air or secondary air open between 1/8 and 1/4 of an inch and about 1" for the primary on the bottom. The heat output was always adjusted with the primary air.
Of course all this is an average and will depend on the kind of draft you can get with your chimney.
The one I had used an external two speed blower on the back with a jacket on the stove.
I think I replaced the motor three times in the years I had it. I didn't always use the blower.
If there are any holes in the bricks I would replace it. Cracks should not be a problem.
If it is in good shape you will get some good use from that stove.

loghouse

Post by loghouse » Sun. Sep. 27, 2009 6:01 pm

I have been using a Tempcoal for 7 years now, it came with the house we bought, alas, without a manual. I had burned wood for 20 years, and I like coal. An excellent source of help was the Iron House in Hyannis, the family owners sold many a Tempcoal in the 80's + 90's. I replaced the grates but now need to replace the firebricks and don't see a way to get them out. I was wondering if you have a manual? I can tell you about my experience with this stove if you like. :)

ChipontheCape

Post by ChipontheCape » Mon. Nov. 02, 2009 7:18 pm

Thank you, both Ray and Loghouse! Sorry for the delay in response. I only got it installed last Friday afternoon. It only took an hour or so to get some Blaschak cooking well. I don't have an owner's manual for my Tempcoal - just a one pager from the manufacturer, giving the basic specs, that I found on Google. Thanks also for the heads-up on Iron House. I don't live that far away at all. When I was first inspecting the stove, it didn't look like it would be difficult to unbolt the upper clamps that hold the firebrick in place. I thought that I'd save it for next spring, when I clean the stove. For now, I'll just fool around with some flexible ducting to move some of the heat around the house. Thanks again guys.

Chip

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Nov. 02, 2009 9:26 pm

Iron House great people...
Bulk coal you can pickup in any quantity you want...
It is busy now so you would be best served to just drop by...
Between the Ford dealer and Macys...

oldpaddy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mohawk Industries Temp Coal II

Post by oldpaddy » Sat. Nov. 07, 2009 2:33 pm

loghouse wrote:I have been using a Tempcoal for 7 years now, it came with the house we bought, alas, without a manual. I had burned wood for 20 years, and I like coal. An excellent source of help was the Iron House in Hyannis, the family owners sold many a Tempcoal in the 80's + 90's. I replaced the grates but now need to replace the firebricks and don't see a way to get them out. I was wondering if you have a manual? I can tell you about my experience with this stove if you like. :)
Is everyone here from the Cape?! Truro here.
In order to replace the firebrick you have to take the outside cover off and you'll see the nuts or bolt head on the sides. FYI it can be a wicked pain in the ass to get the cover off and even harder to get it back on.

I love this stove. I bought mine used off craigs list about 5 years ago in falmouth. Do you guys use the top draft? I've never used it, when I've tried it screws with the draft.
What are you guys paying for a ton of nut delivered? I think stove place 2 in Harwich quoted me $650 for two tons delivered, but I may be off by $20-40.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”