Can't Wait...

dtzackus
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibraltar LCC

Post by dtzackus » Thu. Aug. 06, 2009 8:04 pm

Sitting on 3 fresh tons of UAE coal and probably at least another 1 ton from last year. Stove is all cleaned up, awiating a phone call from the local metal shop with my new ash pan and I am ready to turn the Central Air off and start the 1st fire.

Been kinda slow in here lately, I guess no sense checking a coal forum if you are not burning...lol

Dan

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Thu. Aug. 06, 2009 8:07 pm

Turn the AC on high & fire that bad boy coal device up!

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Thu. Aug. 06, 2009 8:30 pm

dtzackus wrote:Sitting on 3 fresh tons of UAE coal and probably at least another 1 ton from last year. Stove is all cleaned up, awiating a phone call from the local metal shop with my new ash pan and I am ready to turn the Central Air off and start the 1st fire.

Been kinda slow in here lately, I guess no sense checking a coal forum if you are not burning...lol

Dan
You did not get the Pan back Yet. Ed must be bussy Putting roofs on.
Do you want me to Put a bug in his ear for you let me know.

Skinsfan

Post by Skinsfan » Thu. Aug. 06, 2009 8:32 pm

It looks like you don't live far from me, so our winters are similar. This will be my first year burning coal and I'm trying to get an idea of how much coal I will use. I have a new Mark III, my house is a six year old bi-level with the stove in the basement. I have about 2200 sq. feet to heat. Is your set up at all similar? Can you give me a guesstimate? Thanks!

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.

Post by coal berner » Thu. Aug. 06, 2009 8:38 pm

Skinsfan wrote:It looks like you don't live far from me, so our winters are similar. This will be my first year burning coal and I'm trying to get an idea of how much coal I will use. I have a new Mark III, my house is a six year old bi-level with the stove in the basement. I have about 2200 sq. feet to heat. Is your set up at all similar? Can you give me a guesstimate? Thanks!
3.5 to 4.5 tons depening on the winter could be more or less 4 tons to start with would be good it does not go bad.

Skinsfan

Post by Skinsfan » Thu. Aug. 06, 2009 8:53 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. My bin will only hold a little under 3 tons. I was planning on burning some wood through November and maybe even into December depending on temps. Maybe 1 full bin will get me through. We'll see...

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Thu. Aug. 06, 2009 9:20 pm

Some of us are (on the forum and still burning coal).

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Fri. Aug. 07, 2009 8:04 am

Some of us are not burning coal but shopping for a new coal stove while on a road trip to PA!
I want to get some samples of the good stuff while I am down there...
Superior/UAE/Summmit/LC&N/?...
200 to 400 lbs of each, any place besides the breakers that would have some?
Hate to be a PIA at the breakers for small quantities.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Fri. Aug. 07, 2009 8:09 am

Skinsfan wrote:It looks like you don't live far from me, so our winters are similar. This will be my first year burning coal and I'm trying to get an idea of how much coal I will use. I have a new Mark III, my house is a six year old bi-level with the stove in the basement. I have about 2200 sq. feet to heat. Is your set up at all similar? Can you give me a guesstimate? Thanks!
I have a 2k sq ft cape that's new. burn't 4 ton here in Northern NH. The main thing is to get the heat from basement up stairs. I put in a flex ducting network which works great. I got 2 aluminum gutter elbows and cut them to catch the blower air from Mark III into dryer flex pipeing to metal 8in. pipe to sealing to flex ducting to vents in floor I made. One in the kitchen one in the livingroom.
It gets hot so no flex duct until well away from stove. Even then it comes out hot at grates. Enough to melt plastic shutters in grate. I took that out and just use the metal scrolled grates. HomeDepot had everything.

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Fri. Aug. 07, 2009 8:12 am

dtzackus wrote:Been kinda slow in here lately, I guess no sense checking a coal forum if you are not burning
Still some vituperative political discussion going on. Thank goodness Richard has a "News, Politics and Current Events" forum. If we posted under "Thoughtful and Intelligent Debates" it would be considered fraud.

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Fri. Aug. 07, 2009 8:28 am

Skip LC&N.

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Fri. Aug. 07, 2009 3:06 pm

CapeCoaler wrote:Some of us are not burning coal but shopping for a new coal stove while on a road trip to PA!
200 to 400 lbs of each, any place besides the breakers that would have some?
Hate to be a PIA at the breakers for small quantities.
Do not waste your time or money going to LC&N Stick with UAE Harmony mine Superior coal Calvin V Lenig coal Summit Anthracite. Sherman coal co. Some of these breakers will be hard to load Just a few hundred lbs being they are using chute's and the scale is not right there where they are loading the coal at . The scale is either aross the street from the breaker or at the end of it. Alot of work and time going back and forth when you have other people in line getting coal . Superior Summit & Sherman would be the breakers set up like this if you goto these breakers I would ask for a 1/4 to a 1/2 ton load . UAE uses a bob cat frontend loader the buckets holds 500 lbs one scoop then you will have to drive onto
the scale. But the weight will be with in 40 to 80lbs of the 500lb bucket load . Calvin V. Lenig will use a hopper with a

scale right on it they use a big loader to fill the hopper very easy to get the weight you want . Remember not all of these breakers are open on a Saturday yet some will not open until after labor day . Calvin V. lenig is open until noon on Saturday 3 or 4 pm during the week . Summit is open until 2pm on a Saturday 4pm during the week . Superior is closed
on Saturdays until after labor day then open until 12 noon . 3pm during the week . Sherman until 3pm during the week
not sure on Saturdays yet was ntil 12 noon. I would call before you go to any of them to make sure .
If you do decide to goto LC&N the chutes at their breaker are real high off the ground made for loading big high trucks
the coal will be falling fast and hard about 25 to 30ft above you little truck bed hope you have good tires shocks & springs on it. It will squat & bounce the truck. Have fun & enjoy your the coal run .

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Fri. Aug. 07, 2009 5:44 pm

I was thinking of shoveling the coal into 45 gallon barrels...
They hold about 350 lbs each...
3-4 barrels, each a different breaker...
and a stove at 600# should be about the limit.
I'll drop LC&N from the list.
Do the other breakers allow you to hand shovel from the piles?
would only take nine 5 gallon buckets to fill the barrel.

I would be there on a Friday morning.

coal berner

Post by coal berner » Fri. Aug. 07, 2009 8:25 pm

CapeCoaler wrote:I was thinking of shoveling the coal into 45 gallon barrels...
They hold about 350 lbs each...
3-4 barrels, each a different breaker...
and a stove at 600# should be about the limit.
I'll drop LC&N from the list.
Do the other breakers allow you to hand shovel from the piles?
would only take nine 5 gallon buckets to fill the barrel.

I would be there on a Friday morning.
Yea you can shovel off the piles. But at Calvin V. Lenig you can pull under the hopper to load right into the barrel .
Summit you will have to get it from the chute . Check your PM's

CoalHeat

Post by CoalHeat » Sat. Aug. 08, 2009 8:33 am

Having burned coal from Superior, Harmony, & Lenig's I can tell you that you don't need to get any samples to try out first, unless you want to compare the different brands and pick out the one you like the best. I'm currently burning Lenig's in the stoker.

I also have burned Blaschak, Reading, Kimmels, and several different flavors of unbranded strip coal from various sources. Blaschak and Kimmels burned the best of the group followed by Reading. The no-name stuff ranged from from fair to unburnable. None of them burned as well as Superior, Harmony or Lenig's.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”