Hand Feeding the Coal

keman

Post by keman » Fri. Nov. 17, 2006 10:41 am

My stove has a front door that I open and load with a big shovel full of coal. I have done this for years. I wish I had something I could load with other than a shovel, something to carry rather than lug, like a scoop of some sort. Anybody know of anything, or is the shovel the only way to load?

Gary in Pennsylvania

Post by Gary in Pennsylvania » Fri. Nov. 17, 2006 11:56 am

I have a Harman insert.

I just get a bucket full of coal and heave it in the opening. Gotta be careful to aim your throw though.....If the bucket catches the side of the opening......You'll be pickin' up pieces of coal from the floor!

keman

Post by keman » Fri. Nov. 17, 2006 12:04 pm

Thanks, I see they have these things called skuttles and hods. Like a bucket curved on one side. Anybody use one of these with a side door loading stove??

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Fri. Nov. 17, 2006 5:20 pm

Hello Keman, go to your local hardware, home depot, Lowes or whatever and buy a short, 18", or 24" long piece of 8" or 10" galvanized stove flue pipe and an end cap.

Cut the angle on the end of the pipe and cap the other end. Wrap a coat hanger around the middle and secure the coat hanger with a lap of duct tape to make a simple handle. Screw the end cap on with a few screws.

This will make a functional coal hod or coal scuttle. Should cost about $10-12. Not very pretty, but this will let you figure out if you want to buy a pretty one made of brass.

Beware!! the edges of the flue pipe are sharp!! Keep away from kids and currious pets.

Do a search on ebay for coal hod. coal scuttle or skuttle, or coal bucket. There are several for sale.

Hope this helps. Greg L

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”