Coal/Wood Stove Plans

sarge

Post by sarge » Mon. Dec. 06, 2010 10:43 pm

Hi Berlin we have talked before about bit coal and wilburt stoker.I would love to do the bit but here in wisconsin anthracite is coming more readily available so I have better availabilty.It is a bit spendy but all in all it outweighs a gas or oil bill wood is even get hard to find because everyone is burning it and loggers leave nothing no more.I to have built many stoves and I seen your comment about stainless being hard to work with.that is true but it does last longer and I am a stainless welder so I have the equip to make it easy.I have not mastered the anthracite in my owb yet but my new design should suceed.I am on to the making the grate and what you said about the grates sliding and not tilting is exactly what I was goin to try like fingers that slide in between an cut ash out of way.Qustion is you use bit coal will this work with the anthracite your input will help me before I fab them thanks

nortcan

Post by nortcan » Tue. Dec. 07, 2010 11:18 am

sarge wrote:Hi Berlin we have talked before about bit coal and wilburt stoker.I would love to do the bit but here in wisconsin anthracite is coming more readily available so I have better availabilty.It is a bit spendy but all in all it outweighs a gas or oil bill wood is even get hard to find because everyone is burning it and loggers leave nothing no more.I to have built many stoves and I seen your comment about stainless being hard to work with.that is true but it does last longer and I am a stainless welder so I have the equip to make it easy.I have not mastered the anthracite in my owb yet but my new design should suceed.I am on to the making the grate and what you said about the grates sliding and not tilting is exactly what I was goin to try like fingers that slide in between an cut ash out of way.Qustion is you use bit coal will this work with the anthracite your input will help me before I fab them thanks
Hi sarge. If you want to see a sliding grate syst. you can look at the beginning of my short video I made with my daughter to show the modifications I made on my Vigilant11. It's right on the beginning of the vid. At the first time I did have short steel bars welded over the grates to make them more agressive. After that I did have problems and decided to remove some but after a while I realised that the problems weren't from these steel fingers. With these raking fingers the shaking is really more easy and I will add more next Spring. Having these fingers of different lenght and welded with an angle position help. Good luck

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Tue. Dec. 07, 2010 12:19 pm

anthracite will work just fine in it.

sarge

Post by sarge » Tue. Dec. 07, 2010 7:29 pm

Thanks for the quick response it the info sure helps me not waste a lot of time with trial an error when I get everything done I will put up some pics of my new stove thanks guys

AKShadow
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 523
Coal Size/Type: Sub-bituminous, stove

Post by AKShadow » Tue. Aug. 16, 2011 1:30 am

Has anyone built one of these yet? Ive been really starting to think about this and I think I might give er a go. Berlin, if you're out there I left a message for you - hoping to hear back from you.

txplanebuilder

Post by txplanebuilder » Tue. Nov. 27, 2018 4:58 pm

I'm looking to build this as it reminds me of an old Haas& Sohn I once had. Question: where do you get your fire brick. Also, I'm thinkig of scaling it up a bit and using 1/2" CRS for the sides etc. 3/8 angle... in other words something that'll last decades.

Has anyone actually built one ad posted it?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”