The Problem With Hand Fired Units

Mahanoy Boy

Post by Mahanoy Boy » Thu. Mar. 27, 2014 10:18 pm

Hi Koko,

OK, I just got done measuring. The person who gave you the 23" inside measurement was pretty much on the money. My fireplace, like most I guess, narrows toward the back so I only have maybe a half inch or so between the blower housing (left side) and the brick. It gets plenty of air through the vent holes in the back plate. I have about an inch on the right side but I have no idea whether or not the stove would warp if it's right up against the brick. Is there a dealer near you?

Good luck!

Mahanoy Boy

Koko
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Morso
Other Heating: Oil

Post by Koko » Thu. Mar. 27, 2014 11:40 pm

Mahanoy Boy,
Ok. Yes, but the dealer seems to think that the 21" is the total width of the insert. So I contacted Keystoker and told them exactly what I told you. Brochure say 21" and users measurement is approximately 23". So let's see what they come back with. Possibly the new version of the insert is actually 21". Thank you so much for your assistance. Users seems to be much more accurate than the local dealers. Kevin.

Koko

Post by Koko » Thu. Mar. 27, 2014 11:43 pm

Carbon 12,
The Hitzer insert 503 requires a 24 1/2" fireplace firebox, I have 23 3/4" fireplace firebox, so I will check with Keystoker to get an exact width requirement for their insert. Appreciate your help.

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Thu. Mar. 27, 2014 11:47 pm

Shazbot! :mad: so close.

Mahanoy Boy

Post by Mahanoy Boy » Thu. Mar. 27, 2014 11:52 pm

Kevin,
I think the 21" is just the stove, not including the blower or shaker handle. There may be a new version but my experience has been that Keystoker doesn't update existing products very often. Too bad you're so far away. A friend of mine is a dealer so we went to the factory and picked mine up. They gave us a tour and let me check it out before I bought it.

Mahanoy Boy

Koko

Post by Koko » Fri. Mar. 28, 2014 6:48 am

Mahanoy Boy,
Yep, the 23" is the correct measurement. Just received an e-mail from Don at Keystoker who confirmed the total width of the insert at 23". The actual stove measurement is 21" + 2" for the blower motor & shaker handle (both on the left side wall of insert). Thanks again. Kevin

Carbon12

Post by Carbon12 » Fri. Mar. 28, 2014 8:43 am

Would a Chubby fit?

Koko

Post by Koko » Fri. Mar. 28, 2014 2:54 pm

Carbon 12,
No, my hearth is only 12" and the decorator would probably object. You know I was reading some forum threads last night about blower fans ( I was laughing like hell with all the responses). But it got me thinking, I have a cast iron stove which is a "radiant" stove. I actually placed it into my fireplace firebox (stove is 15"W x 17"D x 23 1/2"H includes 6" legs). So if I place a blower fan under the stove wouldn't this change the stove to a "convection" status ? One of the things I have noticed is the fireplace firebrick gets very hot from the stove, there is a 4 1/2" clearance from stove to firebrick. Just wondering if the blower fan would circulate that heat out of the fireplace box. I would not go with a high volume blower, maybe 150-200 CFM. Funny thing when I was reading all those threads on blower fans I thought to myself, if you pull an insert outside of a fireplace, shut of the blower fan you have a radiant stove. Make sense ? BTW, I may be able to modify my fireplace firebox by a few inches so the insert would probably fit. The left side of this insert has the blower motor & shaker handle which would provide about 2 1/2" from the insert to the firebrick. While the right side would only provide about 3/4" from the insert to the firebrick, which is a concern if the steel wall of the stove overheats will that cause warping. Anyway that for your help. Kevin.

Carbon12

Post by Carbon12 » Fri. Mar. 28, 2014 4:09 pm

Don't know if this will help but the Hitzer 983 has a leg option and can be a free standing stove.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”