Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Sun. Aug. 07, 2022 2:58 pm

Wow I like it.

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Sun. Aug. 07, 2022 5:15 pm

Yeah, looked at them pretty closely a while back & their specs seemed to match the Hitzer 3/16" stove body, 1/4" steel on the hopper & real deep firebox. They also had an adjustable idle air port located on the primary air flap which I really liked. All in all they appear to be a real nice unit. Just appears that that little company isn't into marketing at all. Just selling locally, & staying in business all those years.......gotta have something going for it.
Jim

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Aug. 07, 2022 8:44 pm

Yeah, Lee, Jim,
Some on here in the past have called these knock-off Hitzer’s and I don’t think that’s quite a fair statement, but that is only my opinion.

That said, there seems to be basic similarities between their stoves…Hitzer EZ, DS Machine, Schrock/Ashland Coal EZ, with Mullet being the outlier of the group. There may even be other Amish made stoves not mentioned here.

The tops of the Coal EZ and the Mullet are very similar. Two of them have similar idle air ports on the main air intake flap.

Grates on these Coal EZ stoves seem much heavier built than Hitzer it DS and remind me of Gibraltar grates they’re so thick.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Aug. 07, 2022 8:54 pm

The stove in the link below has the side heat shields and is very nice looking.

https://coalohio.com/

The price is awesome. I’ve been looking at these since before forum members Nick was gracious enough to send me pictures to post in the forum and before he joined us as a member here.

Some had said in the past these were thinner and The just sort of went along with what they said, but after reading the specs I find these stoves are as heavily built as Hitzer’s and DS…as far as steel thickness is concerned.

If you do a forum search you will find some more detailed pictures that I posted that Nick had sent to me back a couple years ago. I thought about buying one at that time but then I found my Hitzer used.

I wonder if we have any members near Ashland that would be willing to stop in and do some more detective work for us on these stoves at Schrock Stove Shop?

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Aug. 07, 2022 8:56 pm

Here’s a link to another thread in these. I will link them together.

Coal EZ Hopper Stoves

Greenleaf
Stoker Coal Boiler: No
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: No
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: No
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: No
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Yes
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: No
Baseburners & Antiques: Yes
Other Heating: Wood

Post by Greenleaf » Sun. Jan. 21, 2024 4:34 pm

Just down the road from me. Super helpful fellow. Full stove shop. Everything you need. They build coal heaters, wood heaters and solid fuel kitchen stoves.

waytomany?s
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark II
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Looking
Baseburners & Antiques: Looking
Other Heating: newmac wood/coal combo furnace

Post by waytomany?s » Sun. Jan. 21, 2024 5:27 pm

Greenleaf wrote:
Sun. Jan. 21, 2024 4:34 pm
Just down the road from me. Super helpful fellow. Full stove shop. Everything you need. They build coal heaters, wood heaters and solid fuel kitchen stoves.
Tell them to update their prices and any links here. And to check in occasionally and answer questions.

Greenleaf

Post by Greenleaf » Sun. Jan. 21, 2024 5:33 pm

???
It's an Amish business. I realize they own automobiles and cell phones, but typically not kept at the home or business. He's on this site?
The model 50 hopper coal heater ( from what I gathered three days ago) is $1,550 w/o the ( optional) cabinet. Blaschak is 8.50 bagged.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Jan. 21, 2024 5:45 pm

Greenleaf wrote:
Sun. Jan. 21, 2024 4:34 pm
You talking about, Nick?
Nick has participated in this thread. I think that is who waytomany?s is referring to.

Yes, would be nice if he updated links, pricing, did some video walk arounds.

Greenleaf

Post by Greenleaf » Sun. Jan. 21, 2024 5:53 pm

Hoytman wrote:
Sun. Jan. 21, 2024 5:45 pm
You talking about, Nick?
Nick has participated in this thread. I think
I don't know anyone there personally. I have lived here only 27 years. That takes time. I originally planned to burn coal in one of their heaters.....upon building this home. But got a old pot belly from Lehmans hardware, Kidron OH. Used it some. Then put that in basement. Bought a new wood burner and used that some. Was not happy and bought another wood burner. Never trusted coal because everyone said how hot it gets. And exercise never hurt me so sticked with mostly wood all these years. I went to see them a couple days ago. Because I'm burning coal now in granddad's coal heater. If I like it.....I'll upgrade to one of his.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Jan. 21, 2024 5:53 pm

The one main plus (there are a few more) that I like about that stove is the dial location.

My 354 sits 10” from my hearth wall making it a somewhat precarious to see the dial setting (I have to use a small inspection mirror) and to change the dial setting without getting burned. Not a big deal for me, but I wish it were easier for the wife and son.

That stove has the dial right where it should be in my opinion. Of course, it’s easier for kids to fiddle with in that location also. Pros and Cons to everything in life.

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Jan. 21, 2024 6:09 pm

I felt the same as you when I first started.

No reason for you to fear coal at all in a stove with a bi-metal thermostat. The only way it can over fire is by leaving the ash door open, or by leaving the manual controls open too far and leaving the stove.

The beauty of these Amish stoves isn’t the stoves themselves, rather it the bi-metal regulator. The beauty of the regulator is that by design they will not allow the stove to over fire because as they reach the temperature setting you set on the dial the spring inside won’t allow it to go too far above that setting before it closes.

They work the same way, on Vermont Castings stove, or similar. Their design is a tad different from what you see on these Amish coal stoves where the door closes downward via gravity. There have been cases of Vermont Castings Flexburn stoves with a catalyst over heating, but I believe that was more to do with the catalyst itself although I’m not positive how (direction) the air intake door closes on the VC stove.

The Blaze King wood stove bi-metal regulator functions the same but in a differing way and it will also close on its own should temps get too hot. However, there’s a hole on the regulator door that won’t allow the BK stove to be entirely snuffed out, unlike these coal stoves…that will die out if you turn the dial all the way to zero and close the manual ash door dampers.

I won’t go as far as to say it’s impossible for an Amish coal stove to over fire, but if it has the regulator on it, then I highly doubt it.

Greenleaf

Post by Greenleaf » Sun. Jan. 21, 2024 6:44 pm

I admit to removing the one on my Vermont Castings. Felt beter with a manual control so I engineered a manual control for that air intake damper.
My coal heater is simply pot belly style engineered. Full manual. Once I get it set, it performs quite well. But unlike the wood appliances, it takes air into three locations and I'm still figiting with these controls. Experiments if you will.
Ordered the Mag gauge for it but apparently 🙃 there was a "snow storm" which has prevented delivery. Been waiting over a week now. I connected a brake line to the outlet of the heater so all ready to hang it. I haven't any manual for this Atlanta brand heater. No idea what will be normal settings per the magnehelic gauge. But I have dialed-in the settings to my best guess and its pouring out the heat!

Hoytman

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Jan. 21, 2024 6:59 pm

Wait! What? Pouring out the heat? Are you kidding?

In the thread yesterday you seemed very underwhelmed by coal and that coal stove.

Pay no attention to me. Just giving you a hard time. No offense intended. We all have learning curves.

Greenleaf

Post by Greenleaf » Sun. Jan. 21, 2024 7:37 pm

I had to turn it up. The heat., aka air flow. Shut down my wood burner and trying out the coal heater solo style. I was warned it was too hot at my lower settings. But I realized nobody has a heater like this and it wasn't damaged yet. Taking into account the basement is unfinished, the older style cast iron potbelly used to heat this entire house alone (from the basement) and nobody knew what the operating temperature should be ( no offense intended), I opened up the ash door air flow "damper" to one inch. Closed the MPD and its literally cooking. Still fully experimental here.
Sure wish it had a manual for nominal settings. I dont know what to expect.
There should be a mathematical calculation to determine the fire pot size/stove size ( etc) to what square footage this is intended to heat. That would get me into the correct zip code.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”