Gibraltar Coal and Wood Stove

ISCHANT

Post by ISCHANT » Mon. Nov. 06, 2006 12:20 pm

Hello,
I cannot find any information about the Gibraltar wood or coal stove. I bought a house and at first the insurance company said it was far enough away from the wall because of the stove companies requirements. Now they are saying they aren't and i need some proof from the company, but i have no manual and have been looking on the internet for a week and can't find anything. Can someone help me??? Thank you

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Mon. Nov. 06, 2006 7:34 pm

I'm not familiar with a Gibralter stove. If it is a radiant stove, it probably requires 36" to combustibles including a wall. If it has a heat sheild, it may only need 18" of clearance. Can you post some pictures of the stove?
Also, if the stove is UL approved, it should have a metal plate attached with the clearances listed.

ISCHANT

Post by ISCHANT » Thu. Dec. 07, 2006 10:37 am

Thank you for your reply, it does have a heat shield on the back. And it use to have a plate on the back that gave the specifications of how far it had to be, but for some reason the insurance inspector went to inspect the house and now the plate is mysteriously gone!! The stove is 23 inches away from the wall and they are saying it has to be 36 inches, but I remember the plate said it only had to be 18 inches. I'm not to familiar with stoves but what do you mean by radiant heat? It is both a coal and wood stove. Thank you for your reply.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Thu. Dec. 07, 2006 12:28 pm

A radiant stove would be one without any fans or blowers moving air around the outside surface of the stove.

If there is a fan or blower, it usually blows air inside a metal jacket surrounding the stove, picking up heat and blowing it out vents in the front of the stove.

Greg L

scatback

Post by scatback » Sun. Jan. 06, 2008 3:52 pm

I have a copy of the Gibraltar manual for our coal/wood freestanding stove that we purchased new in 1986. Still works fine. I can easily scan and email you a copy if you will just send me your email address. We have the model CFS and it has saved us many thousands of dollars over the last twenty years.
Paul

scatback

Post by scatback » Tue. Jan. 08, 2008 12:34 pm

I can't seem to figure out how to post a copy of the Gibraltar Manual to this site so if anyone wants a copy, just let me know and I can email or tell me how to post.
Thanks
Paul

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Jan. 08, 2008 1:59 pm

Posting for Scatback

Attachments

Gilbraltar_Manual.pdf
.PDF | 4.9MB | Gilbraltar_Manual.pdf

tstove

Post by tstove » Tue. Jan. 08, 2008 10:00 pm

Maybe this will help also

Attachments

GibraltorManual.pdf
.PDF | 1.1MB | GibraltorManual.pdf

mjc

Post by mjc » Sat. Feb. 08, 2020 2:42 pm

thank you very much scatback for the Gibraltar manual.i happen to need a banking plate for mine.

11ultra103
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, DS Comfortmax 75
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by 11ultra103 » Sun. Feb. 09, 2020 10:14 am

ISCHANT wrote:
Thu. Dec. 07, 2006 10:37 am
Thank you for your reply, it does have a heat shield on the back. And it use to have a plate on the back that gave the specifications of how far it had to be, but for some reason the insurance inspector went to inspect the house and now the plate is mysteriously gone!! The stove is 23 inches away from the wall and they are saying it has to be 36 inches, but I remember the plate said it only had to be 18 inches. I'm not to familiar with stoves but what do you mean by radiant heat? It is both a coal and wood stove. Thank you for your reply.
If there are no manufacture specifications the insurance has to go by the NFPA code 211 for solid fuel burning appliances. And within that code are regulations to reduce clearances to combustibles. I'll see if I can send a link to the code.

https://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-standards/all-code ... l?code=211

Click the free access button, start around page 47 for clearance requirements. A couple pages after will show how to bulid a properly spaced non combustible wall for behind the stove.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Feb. 09, 2020 1:35 pm

11ultra103 wrote:
Sun. Feb. 09, 2020 10:14 am
If there are no manufacture specifications the insurance has to go by the NFPA code 211 for solid fuel burning appliances. And within that code are regulations to reduce clearances to combustibles. I'll see if I can send a link to the code.

https://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-standards/all-code ... l?code=211

Click the free access button, start around page 47 for clearance requirements. A couple pages after will show how to bulid a properly spaced non combustible wall for behind the stove.
I may be mistaken, but I believe that if a current inspection is being done, the current NFP codes and regulations will trump any listed “label” clearances on an old stove. This is to bring the stove placement to current safety codes. I could be wrong on that. Their may be a “Grandfather” clause on an old installation, but I think all new codes and reg’s apply to new installs, even new installs of an old stove if you installed yourself. Some sweeps/installers will not install an old stove. At least some local to me will not.

More than likely for any older stove to pass an inspection there either has to be a shield in place and even still there will be a required distance from combustibles, or with no shield the clearance to combustibles is automatically 36 inches. This to satisfy an inspection and current codes and only if you’re wanting to pass an inspection. It is safer for you and your family to comply, helps with re-sale of the home as a selling point and relieves the seller of any liability.

My stove placement is not to code. I’m 10” away from my rock and concrete hearth which was built to comply with code in the late 70’s. It would not pass a new inspection. It also never gets above 115F directly behind the stove. A simple shield would comply if I was worried about it. Being able to place my hand on the wall and leave it there as long as I want to...I am not worried about it and a shield can quickly be put in place if I need it. I actually want my hearth warm to radiate heat. That’s why it was built the way it was...to help heat the home.

ohabanero
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Efel Arden giant 084-65
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: modified Gibraltar LCC double door model
Coal Size/Type: Stove nut and pea
Other Heating: Burnham boiler #2 fuel oil

Post by ohabanero » Sun. Feb. 09, 2020 2:05 pm

Interesting that this thread starter claims the back info plate disappeared after the insurance company showed up. I would call that theft . Since this thread is 14 years old I doubt it's a solvable issue but if that happened to me I would have been down at the insurance office demanding answers the next day. That's bs

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”