Coal Chubby's May Be Back ?

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Tue. May. 19, 2009 5:56 am

DVC500 at last, you are right! I need an excuse to build a man cave! My boys and I would love having one. Another good idea! Well, a wish anyway.

When I took my trip to Plymouth, Massachusetts, my wife thought I was crazy for going all the way out there by myself. She had know idea that my true intentions were to bring home a Jr. Chubby. She told me, okay and go, just don't bring home one of those big Chubby's without me seeing it first. I agreed. Besides, I knew her real reason for letting me go, was to map out and for her to see how long it would take me to get there, because her aunt and uncle recently moved to Massachusetts, and she wants to go visit them with the family. Well, when I arrived home, everyone was asleep. For two months prior, I had placed a little black empty undercoating barrel on the fireplace hearth. I was using it to hold the old tack strips and scrap wood from some of the remodeling I've done. So, the black barrel was just the size of the Jr. Chubby. Everyone was used to it being there.

When I came home, I removed the barrel to the basement and place the Jr. Chubby in it's new home. It took her half the day for her to notice the new change. Boy, at first, she was a little upset. Then, when the family came over to visit, all they could do was compliment her on her new addition to her decor. They told her it was the cutest little stove they ever seen! All of a sudden, the little Chubby became accepted as her idea. Ah, isn't marriage fun! So, what I have learned is, that sometimes it is easier to obtain forgiveness, than it is to get approval and I lived up to my agreement, I didn't bring home one of those big Chubby's. :D Well, not yet anyway. Still working on that. I just have to figure out how to make it her idea again! :D DOUG

JB Sparks

Post by JB Sparks » Tue. May. 19, 2009 6:03 am

Pretty sneaky there Doug, But what ever works and what ever it takes. Sometimes yah gotta do what yah gotta do!! :lol:

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Wed. Sep. 30, 2009 9:39 pm

Hey guys,

I was doing some web surfing and noticed that the Chubby Stove website has been updated some.
**Broken Link(s) Removed**
I see that the Coal Chubby now has a blog site. How cool is that! http://wwwchubbystove.blogspot.com/

Good Job Chubby Stove! :idea: :D DOUG

JB Sparks

Post by JB Sparks » Wed. Sep. 30, 2009 10:04 pm

Hey Doug,
That is a cool website. The time is getting close to when I'll be going down to see Mr. trainer personally to get some parts for my Chubby.
JB

Pete69

Post by Pete69 » Wed. Sep. 30, 2009 10:11 pm

I need to build an addition on to my house so I have a spot to put one of those neat little stoves.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Thu. Oct. 01, 2009 7:10 am

Nice stove. I used one for 14 years in Ma. I never had a problem with anything except normal wear and tear like gaskets,etc. The grate was still in good shape when I sold it. THe new Harman I have has warped the center grate in it's first season and it costs $ 100.
The Cubby never jammed,caught most of it's ash,was easy to fix by a average guy. Shakeing down the ash was hard but Larry Trainer said he fixed that more so on later designs and that the new design can be retro fitted to older Chubbys..

eelhc

Post by eelhc » Thu. Oct. 01, 2009 9:14 am

The wife will never allow it to sit in the living room outside the fireplace like Larry has in his video. My fireplace is 33" high and 27" deep. If I could fir the the Chubby jr. ENTIRE INSIDE the fireplace including the damper, baro and the stovepipe I may be able to convince her.

On a similar note... Is there a small combination coal/wood stove that'll fit INSIDE a fireplace?

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Thu. Oct. 01, 2009 12:52 pm

Yes, the Jr. Chubby will fit just perfectly! The Jr. Chubby is 28" tall, 23" to the top of the flue, 14" in diameter, with a 5" flue collar. It can hold 15 to 20 lbs. of anthracite coal and it also has the new style shaker grate system. You will be very happy with a Jr. Chubby stove in your fireplace. :idea: :)

My fireplace opening is only 23 1/2" high X 18" wide. Here is what it looks like.
DSCF1938.JPG
.JPG | 156.2KB | DSCF1938.JPG
DSCF1796.JPG
.JPG | 172.1KB | DSCF1796.JPG
DSCF1797.JPG
.JPG | 175.5KB | DSCF1797.JPG

JB Sparks

Post by JB Sparks » Thu. Oct. 01, 2009 3:35 pm

Hey Doug, the Chubby looks good sitting there.

smokeyCityTeacher
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95

Post by smokeyCityTeacher » Mon. Jan. 18, 2010 5:24 pm

Duengeon master wrote:I used a chubby for three years. It was an excelent stove. A chubby is almost idiot proof and bullet proof. It has a three piece grate that kind of looks like the old three piece truck rims. It burned coal very efficiently and made tons of heat. :D The ONLY reason I sold it was because I needed a longer burn time for when I get home late and I don't have to save a dying fire. I will recomend a chubby to anyone who wants one. :cheers:
Are you saying that a chubby wont do an overnight burn ?
How long can you get out of a full hopper ?

jjs777_fzr
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Penn Coal Stove & Chubby
Other Heating: CFM Wood Stove & Englander 25-PDVC Pellet Stove

Post by jjs777_fzr » Wed. Jan. 27, 2010 9:32 pm

Can someone fire off a price one could expect from one of Larry's chubby refurbs? I think I'm already hooked on the chubby...I think a coal stove purchase is a personal one...everyones different...and I may have found a design to get excited about. I'd be interested in prices on both the jr and the std sized units.
Thx!

Pete69

Post by Pete69 » Thu. Jan. 28, 2010 12:26 am

**Broken Link(s) Removed**Prices are listed here.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Thu. Jan. 28, 2010 10:36 pm

smokeyCityTeacher wrote:
Duengeon master wrote:I used a chubby for three years. It was an excelent stove. A chubby is almost idiot proof and bullet proof. It has a three piece grate that kind of looks like the old three piece truck rims. It burned coal very efficiently and made tons of heat. :D The ONLY reason I sold it was because I needed a longer burn time for when I get home late and I don't have to save a dying fire. I will recomend a chubby to anyone who wants one. :cheers:
Are you saying that a chubby wont do an overnight burn ?
I burnt Nut for 14 years with a Chubby. I could make it go 3 days in mild temps on one load. 12 hr burns are guaranteed. Don't know why he couldn't keep it going or what he meant.

jjs777_fzr
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Penn Coal Stove & Chubby
Other Heating: CFM Wood Stove & Englander 25-PDVC Pellet Stove

Post by jjs777_fzr » Fri. Jan. 29, 2010 2:13 pm

Thx! my browser had frames disabled - NOW I see the site as it should be

I found a chubby on CL - I go to pick it up on Sunday!

I also bought a used PENN COAL stove yesterday for $50 - decent condition - painting it now. Found it on ebay.
Appears to be a similar design to the chubby.

brrr...it's 13 and very windy in the boston area - wind felt like it was gonna take down the house last night

Duengeon master
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harmon Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite pea and nut mix. Bituminous lump

Post by Duengeon master » Fri. Jan. 29, 2010 2:20 pm

captcaper wrote:
smokeyCityTeacher wrote: Are you saying that a chubby wont do an overnight burn ?
I burnt Nut for 14 years with a Chubby. I could make it go 3 days in mild temps on one load. 12 hr burns are guaranteed. Don't know why he couldn't keep it going or what he meant.
I was able to easily keep my Chubby lit for 12+ hrs. on a cold day. What I meant was I drive a truck for 12-18 hrs. a day, An even longer burn time was necessary. The Chubby is an excellent stove. I would recommend one to anybody who wants one. :D :)

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”