Coal Chubby's May Be Back ?

tmegg

Post by tmegg » Tue. Feb. 24, 2009 8:36 am

After reading about all the issues with new Harmon's, Hitzer's and VC'S I'm considering going back to what I started with back in 1977. The Chubby I had (top vent w/ blower) was way easier to use than my Vigilant. I've looked at the Hitzer and Harman and I'm not impressed. A group of guys I worked with back in the 70's purchased about 20 Chubby's at a discount from Larry (owner) at the Plympton Ma. factory . A couple of freinds still use them or have them in the basement. They always looked good and burned coal in the round basket very efficiently. They are still available used and may be back in production if Oil spikes. Any other old Chubby burners on this forum? The only stove I can compare it to is my current VC Vig .

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Tue. Feb. 24, 2009 8:58 am

Cool site. I would try one if I wasn't switching to a stoker. I have seen some old round coal stoves around here but not very often.

Kevin

New Hope Engineer
Coal Size/Type: Nut pea

Post by New Hope Engineer » Tue. Feb. 24, 2009 9:05 am

Definately a nice little stove. :up:

milstencil
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93

Post by milstencil » Tue. Feb. 24, 2009 1:12 pm

Still have the one that I bought in 1980 and have used it up until this winter.
Replaced it with a hitzer ez flo.
The chubby heated my 1800 sq. ft. cellar real well.
Wouldn't go back to it.
So much easier with a hopper feed stove.
Good luck.
Rick

JB Sparks

Post by JB Sparks » Tue. Feb. 24, 2009 1:27 pm

Keep talking guys. I just bought one off of Craig's list. Have it the shop all taken apart and cleaned for an inspection. Besides a little surface rust here and there it appears to be in acceptional condition. A little stove black on the cast parts and a little hi temp paint on the steel should make it look like brand new. The ends of the gaskets are loose so need to take care of that as well. Won't be fireing it up this season as I need to make a chimney for it. I think this Chubby is going to do a good job heating my 700' approx. shop. What kind of burn times may I expect from this stove? Have any idea how much coal i'll use with it over a season?

wsherrick
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Glenwood Base Heater, Crawford Base Heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Crawford Base Heater, Glenwood, Stanley Argand
Coal Size/Type: Chestnut, Stove Size

Post by wsherrick » Tue. Feb. 24, 2009 4:20 pm

KLook wrote:Cool site. I would try one if I wasn't switching to a stoker. I have seen some old round coal stoves around here but not very often.

Kevin
There are a few of us who use antique round style stoves. I believe that the cylindrical design was discovered to be the best for coal burning long, long, long before we were born. The box is best for wood. I have had several styles of antique coal burners and they have always performed exceedingly well, been very easy to start and maintain, have standard grate sizes and are designed to be broken down and easily refurbished. The only drawback these old stoves have is that they(with exceptions of course) are not airtight.
If someone took some of these beautiful old patterns and modernized them with airtight doors, thermostats, et. al. They would give the box stove makers a run for their money.
I have been toying with the idea of doing just that. I just don't know anything about pouring cast iron, metal work or how one gets a new design tested and approved. Perhaps this will be a project for me in my retirement years.

milstencil
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93

Post by milstencil » Tue. Feb. 24, 2009 4:27 pm

JB,
When I had this stove in my insulated 900 sq. ft. garage(shop) we would tend it 3 times a day.
The kids would do it before they went to school, and when they got home from school. I would do it
just before I sacked out for the night. It burned 2 tons of nut coal for the season (not a MA season!).
When we moved and the stove was in the cellar of my house, we switched to pea, a more controlled
burn with the same tending times. Used about 2 tons of pea, and the cellar was averaging 68* all winter
here in Otis, MA (and we get cold here!). Great stove, built like a tank. After 29 years it still looks great.
Rick

tmegg

Post by tmegg » Tue. Feb. 24, 2009 4:59 pm

I find most coal stoves are twice a day feeds, the chubby was no different. I'm surprised that someone hasn't made a clone before.
They are very good stoves, but are not top loading and you can't burn logs in them like a Hitzer 30-95 or TLC2000.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Tue. Feb. 24, 2009 6:27 pm

....Plus the name gives on a sense of belonging to a club most men aspire to belong to.....often. I tend to my Chubby twice a day....has a warm feeling associated with it.

JB Sparks

Post by JB Sparks » Tue. Feb. 24, 2009 7:27 pm

milstencil, Thanks for the input, I was kinda thinking that little stove would work pretty much as you described. I'm looking forward to giving it a test run.

whistlenut
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA130's,260's, AHS130&260's,EFM900,GJ & V-Wert
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Franks,Itasca 415,Jensen, NYer 130,Van Wert
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska, EFM, Keystoker, Yellow Flame
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska, Keystoker-2,Leisure Line
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska, Gibraltar, Keystone,Vc Vigilant 2
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Ford, Jensen, NYer, Van Wert,
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwoods
Coal Size/Type: Barley, Buck, Rice ,Nut, Stove
Other Heating: Oil HWBB

Post by whistlenut » Tue. Feb. 24, 2009 7:32 pm

There are hundreds of these stoves still in service. Everyone loves them, and they work! My brother still uses his and won't consider replacing it. A rebuilt Chubby is as good as a new one, so find one for yourself. They are very well made, and cost effective....and parts are very economical and readily available.

Salemcoal

Post by Salemcoal » Tue. Feb. 24, 2009 8:15 pm

I burned a Chubby for two heating seasons. It did a great job and is built tough. It would use a five gallon bucket per day heating one end of the house with a cathedral ceiling. I burned pea coal in it. I find that my Gibraltar CFS requires less attention. Its still in my garage if needed to be called into service.

JB Sparks

Post by JB Sparks » Wed. Feb. 25, 2009 8:45 pm

Whistlenut, got one.
Salemcoal, Thanks for the input. I'm expecting a nice warm shop next winter.

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Wed. Feb. 25, 2009 10:52 pm

I went on the http://www.chubbystove.com website. It looks pretty neat. They have a free download of the manual and you can request to see Larry's video of how to operate your Coal Chubby. He also has some refurbished Coal Chubby's for sale. Boy after watching his video, I have to look into one. It seems a lot better than a potbelly stove. The new feed door he is offering, with the larger viewing window, is nice. :idea:

JB Sparks

Post by JB Sparks » Thu. Feb. 26, 2009 5:07 am

Hi Doug, Went out to the link you provided, Nice to know there is one stop shopping for anything I need for the Chubby. Really like the new see-thru door, but for a shop heater it maybe a little over the top...ehhhh one never knows, sure looks nice. Thanks for the link.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”