Hitzer 30-95 Door Question

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle » Tue. Mar. 10, 2009 1:25 pm

Grizzly2 ------ Thanks for all the information, I've been enjoying the thread. Keep us in the loop. baldeagle

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Tue. Mar. 10, 2009 2:50 pm

Grizz, I would change the door gasket too, Just-in-case. Since you hav the glass off, anyway. I'd even go up a size on the diameter, that will allow a little more cushion across that 1/8" 'warp'.

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Tue. Mar. 10, 2009 3:12 pm

DVC500,

The thicker window gasket would be a good idea but the glass came from Hitzer with the gasket already on it. The gasket is U channel shaped and the glass sets into the U of course. I looked at gaskets at an on-line retailer. They only offered one window gasket material, leading me to think that it only comes in one dimention. There probably is not a lot of difference in glass thickness used on any stove. I realy don't want to make a change from factory type installation just to get by. After all I do get a new door and window from Hitzer if this one cracks when installed in the orriginal way. So far no crack, but then I had been heating with the stove for a total of 3 months when the first one cracked. It will be next winter untill I have heated long enough and hot enough to have a true test.

Just now, sitting here typing, I heard the spalt of water dripping on my leather sofa. I went to the upstairs bathroom and it appears that the 5 gal. water heater under the sink is leaking. I shut the water to the bathroom off and have got to go check it out further :shock:

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Tue. Mar. 10, 2009 3:54 pm

grizzly2 wrote:Just now, sitting here typing, I heard the spalt of water dripping on my leather sofa. I went to the upstairs bathroom and it appears that the 5 gal. water heater under the sink is leaking. I shut the water to the bathroom off and have got to go check it out further :shock:
Don't you love Homeownership :D :bang: If its not one thing, its another.... :mad:

I did not know the glass came with the gasket installed. Yep, you have to use it.
OK, stoke 'er up to 500F 2nite, leave the windows open, and see if you can get that glass to :blowup:

rberq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1300 with hopper
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak Anthracite Nut
Other Heating: Oil hot water radiators (fuel oil); propane

Post by rberq » Tue. Mar. 10, 2009 6:11 pm

DVC500_at_last wrote:Don't you love Homeownership -- if its not one thing, its another....
It's usually both.

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Tue. Mar. 10, 2009 7:27 pm

OK, stoke 'er up to 500F 2nite, leave the windows open, and see if you can get that glass to :blowup:

Too late. I let the fire burn out today. I need to use up some kerosene so I can get rid of the space heater and the fuel tank. I miss my coal fire already. :cry:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”