Harman TLC 2000 Glass Door Cracked

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Tue. Feb. 24, 2009 4:23 pm

BDHodosn wrote:Get a Hitzer. Way less expensive, no issues all winter (once I learned how to run anthracite in it), and loads of heat.

Must have been some real winner posts. Obviously some deletions. Some of what remain are still pretty disingenuous and out of line.

I only noticed this today and have to agree that most of what the OP mentions would be disconcerting to me if it were my heater. I wouldn't want to have to make mods to something that is s'posed to burn this fuel, especially broken glass and door hinges failing.

my 2 pennies worth
Other than warping the bottom ring on the 50-93 hopper (my fault), I've had no problems with either one of my HITZER's. I've been very happy with both stoves. That being said, I'm not going to put down other stove brands. Or say my stoves are better than yours. People should do the reserch, and decide for themselves.

JLF53
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line

Post by JLF53 » Tue. Feb. 24, 2009 4:30 pm

Devil505 wrote:
JLF53 wrote:And all the labor, mess, poor qorkmanship and issues associated with the hand fired stove would disappear, and I would have central steam coal fired heat.
I hear you Jane but..........for a little less convenience & allot less money....I'll stick with my $1400.00 Harman TLC2000. ;)

(You're always welcome to come over & warm up in the event that......... in your 26th year of home ownership, you lose power) :rimshot: :devil:

Edit: AA makes a great reliable boiler but I think you are underestimating the amount of work & expense involved. I would check with Freddy & see what he thinks.
Devil,

I can see your point at a price for this stove that does not exist in today's market. My stove has brass door, brass grills and a blower. full price with tax and delivery was $2400. Plus $500 for pipe. We did the installation.

We have owned this house for 26 years. Initially it had a 1000 gallon oil tank in the ground. We converted to natural gas 15 years ago. Neverless we have steam heat that requires professional service prior to each heating season. I would expect to service any boiler, regardless of fuel type.

I will pass on the generous and kind invitation on to my husband.

JLF53
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line

Post by JLF53 » Tue. Feb. 24, 2009 7:17 pm

coalkirk wrote:Everyone is an arm chair quarter back. My 2 cents, this stove was over fired.
ash door got left open or the like.
Also, Harman doesn't make the glass. It's Robax ceramic good to 1,400 degrees.
No not over fired, unless a stove over fires at 400-450. Have baro damper on and we were sitting right next to it for over two hours. Ash door closed. Slide at 1/2 position. So no it did not over fire.

channing
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III 21yrs
Coal Size/Type: Nut coal

Post by channing » Sun. Mar. 08, 2009 2:48 pm

I have been burning in my Harman Mark III fo ten years now and I will say the stove is fine probably becouse it's an early modle. I will say I am happy to hear that they went out of busness so they stop raping peaple for parts and ripping peaple off for new stoves that they never get or when they get don't work.

Harman's customer service number is usless. It sends you back to the jerk who sold you the stove.

Send them letters no answer

Send the preident a certified letter no answer
Good riddens to a rotton company

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Mon. Mar. 09, 2009 7:47 am

channing wrote:I have been burning in my Harman Mark III fo ten years now and I will say the stove is fine probably becouse it's an early modle. I will say I am happy to hear that they went out of busness so they stop raping peaple for parts and ripping peaple off for new stoves that they never get or when they get don't work.

Harman's customer service number is usless. It sends you back to the *censored* who sold you the stove.

Send them letters no answer

Send the preident a certified letter no answer
Good riddens to a rotton company
Am I reading this right: Who went out of business, Harman, or the dealer?

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Mar. 09, 2009 8:15 am

Harman got into money trouble and had to sell out to a bigger company to survive.

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Mon. Mar. 09, 2009 6:44 pm

From the vast majority of what I have read, Harman makes a good stove. I hope the new investers will make a move to provide good customer service. I also hope the new investers do NOT take manufacturing to %*^()@! China :!:

duck
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30 95

Post by duck » Mon. Mar. 09, 2009 8:30 pm

It appears a lot of the stove companies went through similar changes as Harmon. Vermont Castings was a much sought after stove in the late 70's people would drive to Vermont and pick them up, a lot got factory tours and met the owners. All Nighter built a brand new facility and closed down a few years later. Atlanta made some great stoves, Cubby, Fisher, Upland. Jotul's original owners operated out of Portland, ME and were very active in chimney sweepers guilds, very supportive, at meetings stated we are here for the long run - not today. When we bought our Severn 20 years ago the headquarters was in Vermont, sounded like they would be around awhile, nope.
I often wondered what the stories were behind all of the closings and changes.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Mar. 09, 2009 9:35 pm

Harman Stoves company to be sold
Posted by Tom Dochat September 25, 2007 15:32PM
Harman Stoves Co., the Halifax-based business started by its founder, Dane Harman, in his garage in 1979, is being sold for $29.75 million.
Hearth & Home Technologies Inc. announced today that it has entered into an agreement to buy Harman, which makes wood, pellet, coal and gas stoves and fireplace inserts.
Harman generates annual sales of more than $40 million.
The acquisition is expected to close in the fourth quarter.
http://blog.pennlive.com/business/2007/09/harman_ ... faxba.html

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”