New Hitzer 30-95

Post by 03281 » Fri. Feb. 20, 2009 7:54 pm

I have been running a 50-93 for 3 years now. When I purchased it new, the magnet was set so it makes contact with the draft door. The dealer told me that this is normal, as it creates a deadband similar to a wall thermostat. The stove temp only needs to drop 50-75 degrees to re-open the draft door. That way the stove isn't constantly calling for heat as soon as the box temp drops a few degrees. I have set up three 50-93s the same way, and each of them work flawlessly. Most likely saves a little on coal usage.

Rex

Post by Rex » Sat. Feb. 21, 2009 5:21 am

rberq wrote:
Rex wrote:removed the magnet and place two small paper clips on either side of the air flap
Clever! I remember that ting-ting-ting from my old Wonder Wood circulator stove, when the flap was almost closed and draft fluctuations clanked it shut over and over again. It sounds like the paperclips also keep the flap ever so slightly open to help the stove idle, especially where you have the front inlet closed.
Not only are the front inlets closed, but filled with black heat mortar and painted over with black stove paint. I wanted the tightest air heat box possible, giving all control to the back air inlet with my current setup. Again, this provided even more control when set for very low burn temperature settings. My temperature readings never move and is very consistant because of the sensitive back airlet.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”