New Install Old Crane

coalvet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane Model 404, Harman MK I
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: NG Boiler

Post by coalvet » Sun. Feb. 15, 2009 10:39 am

Hello, just finished installing this Crane 404 after removing my Crane 44. Had been using the 44 for almost 28yrs. There was nothing wrong with the original I just happened to find the 404 on Craigslist and couldn't resist. So after all these years I'm going to have learn the burning characteristics of a new stove. What sold me on this 1982 Crane was the shape it was in. I bought it from the original owner who only used it for 2 seasons.

Rich

Attachments

Crane 404.JPG

Here is a pic of the new one.

.JPG | 1.2MB | Crane 404.JPG

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Sun. Feb. 15, 2009 12:14 pm

Nice stove! Con grats.

the snowman.

Joe in NH

Post by Joe in NH » Sun. Feb. 15, 2009 3:11 pm

Super stove. Have had a Crane 44 but not the 404. Always thought the 404 was a great looking stove and liked the fact that it was designed specifically for coal. I think I remember that the two spinner version (like yours) is a later model of the original 404. I used to have an original Crane booklet, but it has been gone for awhile and I can't remember if it was a later version of the same stove or a different model. Joe

coalvet

Post by coalvet » Sun. Feb. 15, 2009 4:54 pm

Joe thanks, this model was the latest of the 404 line, it actually has a removable cast iron firepot to enlarge the inside for wood burning. The model 202 I think was the single spinner model with a refractory firebox. I have the original owners manual for the 404 and a brochure for the 202.

Rich

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Sun. Feb. 15, 2009 5:06 pm

I love that new old Crane. :up: That is the appearnce that I was looking for when I first started looking at coal stoves. Any Idea what the BTU output of the Crane will be? I see it has screen behind the glass. What kind of metal is the screen made of? Do you know if that screen material is available. I want to install a screen in my stove before I replace the cracked glass. :)

beemerboy

Post by beemerboy » Sun. Feb. 15, 2009 7:43 pm

Last fall I bought an old crane 404 for my mother's house. The stove was in pretty sad looking shape, it had been in a barn for about ten years and it was a pile of rust. It's cast iron fire box liner was so warped I had to break it to remove it.

I cleaned up the stove and built a new fire box using angle iron and fire brick. The stove actually came out looking good and the new firebox worked out quite well. I do have to say, I'm less than impressed with the shaking mechanism for the grate. I ended up taking a piece of bar stock and bending it to make a poker.

I had the screen pieces for the windows but I decided not to use them because I thought the screens would make harder to clean the glass.

coalvet

Post by coalvet » Sun. Feb. 15, 2009 11:24 pm

greezly2
beemerboy,

The stove is rated at 60,000btu but I get the feeling it will do even better than that. The screen on the glass is a thin flat metal which is on the outside of the glass. I just saw another Crane on craigslist which is very similar to the 404, it's a model 202.
Here is the link.
**Broken Link(s) Removed**Rich

kozel

Post by kozel » Mon. Feb. 16, 2009 10:04 am

One of my 2 stoves is a Crane 404 (dual spinner). It was the first stove we bought. The shaker handle broke early on and we had a beefier one welded with angle iron. What really keeps that stove going well is shaking and then poking the fire from below. I have a harder time keeping my Harman clear and burning well.

1mwaehler

Post by 1mwaehler » Wed. Apr. 01, 2009 2:49 pm

I just got my Crane 404 put in yesterday - However, it's missing some internals - could you take a few pictures of how it is set up inside so I can know whats missing - mine has no grates or ash pan.

Thanks,
Marcus

coalvet

Post by coalvet » Thu. Apr. 02, 2009 6:39 am

Marcus, congrats on the new stove. When I get the chance I will take some pics of the inside of my 404 and post them for you. Here is a link for the inside parts of the 404, everything except the baffle and the ash pan are available. You will have to fabricate your own ash pan and baffle. If you have any other questions let me know.

Rich

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Thu. Apr. 02, 2009 7:51 am

Cool looking stove. Thanks for showing us.

I wonder how big a building it would take to hold one of each coal stove ever made.

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Thu. Apr. 02, 2009 7:11 pm

Freddy wrote:Cool looking stove. Thanks for showing us.

I wonder how big a building it would take to hold one of each coal stove ever made.
Good question Freddy, and it got me wondering if there are any museums with large displays of old coal stoves. I would like to see the evolution of coal stoves from the earliest on.

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Thu. Apr. 02, 2009 8:18 pm

grizzly2 wrote: I would like to see the evolution of coal stoves from the earliest on.
Grizz, theres the topic for a new book! :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
Ok, whos up to it.....
:D :D :D

1mwaehler

Post by 1mwaehler » Tue. Apr. 07, 2009 3:13 am

Coalvet -

Thanks for the link - if you have an opportunity, pictures would help a lot. It's basically a cast iron frame and soapstone - everything else has been removed. As we have much more wood than coal in my area of Alaska, I'll be burning wood but, nonetheless, I want to see how the stove is properly equipped and fabricate from there. Thanks for the help.

Marcus

Joe in NH

Post by Joe in NH » Thu. Apr. 23, 2009 12:43 pm

Wow! Get a load of this: newlondon.craigslist.org/grd/1136284778.html Wish I still had my van. Joe

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”