Federal Airtight Stove

dsteinel

Post by dsteinel » Sun. Feb. 15, 2009 8:53 am

Has anyone any experience with a Federal Airtight stove? Supposedly burns coal and wood. Will it burn anthracite?

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sun. Feb. 15, 2009 9:34 am

I used to own a Dutchwest FEDERAL model stove, but it was hardly air tight. Ity was a cast iron stove with many leaky seems but could burn wood or coal. Do you have any more info on the stove...or pics?

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Sun. Feb. 15, 2009 6:00 pm

I read some reviews of the Federal when I was researching stoves before I bought mine. The reviews were not overall favorable, though I don't remember the specifics. :|

mehawk

Post by mehawk » Wed. Feb. 18, 2009 1:18 pm

I have an A-plus Consolidated Dutchwest that I have been burning coal in for the past 8-10 years. Stove has been great considering the age. I have only replaced the side and back grates.

MK

grobinson2
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy, and EFM 520 round door
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coalbrookdale Darby, Harman Mark III, Stratford SC100, DutchWest 288 (With Coal Insert), Coalbrookdale Severn, Hitzer 50/93, Hitzer 354 Double Door, FrancoBelge La Normandie, DS Machine Anthramax
Coal Size/Type: Rice, Buck, Pea, Nut, and Stove
Other Heating: Vermont Castings Defiant 1975 FlexBurn, Fisher Grandpa Bear, Vermont Castings DutchWest 224, Vermont Castings Defiant 1945, Ravelli RV-100 Classic, Progress Hybrid, Glenwood Wood Chip Boiler

Post by grobinson2 » Wed. Apr. 07, 2010 12:20 am

Hey guys,
I just picked up a 1990 Dutch West model 224 for $3.00 at a fire company auction. Stove is in great shape and came with new grates and the whole kit. Anyway I had heard all these bad things about these stoves but I have to say that I just love the look of it and mine is built like a tank. I don't see any seems or gaps and it is one heavy stove. Anyway, I am already searching for the largest model that they made which I beleave is the 228?? I plan on burning some wood and mostly coal in the air tight and am looking for one or two guys that have and use these stoves for coal to get the pros and cons. I have been trying to find reviews but most of them have been from people that don't seem to know a thing about wood stoves let alone burning coal. Thanks again guys,
Glenn

Terry1

Post by Terry1 » Sun. Oct. 23, 2011 10:42 am

dsteinel wrote:Has anyone any experience with a Federal Airtight stove? Supposedly burns coal and wood. Will it burn anthracite?
Yes it will burn coal as long as you have the wood coal type stove is it a good stove I have one that I got dirt cheep I would not pay full price for one my self there is better stuff out there.
TERRY

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Oct. 23, 2011 10:44 am

Terry, are you burning anthracite or bituminous coal in yours?

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”