Hitzer 50-93 Top Door/Hopper Gasket

gleneaston

Post by gleneaston » Sat. Feb. 14, 2009 7:30 pm

Hi,

I need to replace the top/hopper door gasket on my Hitzer 50-93. Does anybody know the correct thickness of this gasket si I can get the proper replacement size?

Thanks,

Glen

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle » Sat. Feb. 14, 2009 9:18 pm

I have a friend on the hill above my farm with a 30-95 - he lost the gasket --- we didn't think there was time to dot all the
I'ss went to the local hardware store,bought what they had (+/-$8) cemented it in -- now on third year.

baldeagle

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sun. Feb. 15, 2009 10:22 am

I've replaced my coal hopper gasket at least 2 times now. I went to my HITZER dealer without measuring the radious of the groove the gasket sets into. I assumed he would know, and he did. But, when he handed it to me, it looked a little big. He insisted that was the right size. It was tight going into the groove on the hopper lid, but it worked great. Last fall, I replaced the gasket again. This time I measured the radious of the hopper lid groove. It measured 3/8 of an inch. Went to local stove shop (closer than HITZER dealer)and bought 3/8 round gasket. The 3/8 gasket fit like a glove, and it too works great. So, for gasket size, I would say anything from 3/8 - 1/2 inch. If they make a 7/16 gasket material, I think that would be ferfect. It would easily slide in the groove, yet have a little extra for wear.

gleneaston

Post by gleneaston » Sun. Feb. 15, 2009 3:00 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the responses.

I bought both 3/8'' and 1/2'' gaskets; the 3/8'' looked a little small so I installed the 1/2''. The 1/2'' fit fine but was not thick enough to make a seal against the stove top, and allowed smoke to escape. In addition, the latch was not even close to engaging the stop which secures the top door closed so it seals tight.

It would seem that the situation requires a much thicker gasket. I will try to contact Hitzer on Monday and see what they suggest.

Glen

oliver power
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Sun. Feb. 15, 2009 5:08 pm

gleneaston wrote:Hi,

Thanks for the responses.

I bought both 3/8'' and 1/2'' gaskets; the 3/8'' looked a little small so I installed the 1/2''. The 1/2'' fit fine but was not thick enough to make a seal against the stove top, and allowed smoke to escape. In addition, the latch was not even close to engaging the stop which secures the top door closed so it seals tight.

It would seem that the situation requires a much thicker gasket. I will try to contact Hitzer on Monday and see what they suggest.

Glen
How wore is the hopper door latch (the part on the door). It may need to be replaced. You can also ajust the stationary part of the latch by tapping it with a hammer. I replaced the one on my hopper door a year or so ago. Works great. Never touched the stationary side of the latch.

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Sun. Feb. 15, 2009 5:22 pm

I have seen a difference in the densities of gaskets. Some are so loosely woven that they flatten out too much and with very little force of the door latch.

gleneaston

Post by gleneaston » Mon. Feb. 16, 2009 4:27 pm

Hi,

I finally replaced the top/hopper door with a 5/8'' gasket. Seems to make good contact with the stove top and form a tight seal.

Thanks again for the responses.

Glen

oliver power

Post by oliver power » Mon. Feb. 16, 2009 4:47 pm

gleneaston wrote:Hi,

I finally replaced the top/hopper door with a 5/8'' gasket. Seems to make good contact with the stove top and form a tight seal.

Thanks again for the responses.

Glen
WOW!........5/8? Ya know, my 50-93 is getting a little age on it. And I've noticed HITZER has made little changes to the stoves. Just wondering if they changed the size of the groove that the gasket fits into. Did you happen to measure the groove in the hopper lid/door? Just curious to know if they changed the size.

Don_t_Say

Post by Don_t_Say » Mon. Feb. 16, 2009 5:46 pm

They made two different doors. Mine is a flat piece of metal without a latch, but I've seen some that were cast with a much thicker gasket and a latch!

P.S. No doubt each uses a different gasket material.

gleneaston

Post by gleneaston » Mon. Feb. 16, 2009 10:08 pm

Glen[/quote]
WOW!........5/8? Ya know, my 50-93 is getting a little age on it. And I've noticed HITZER has made little changes to the stoves. Just wondering if they changed the size of the groove that the gasket fits into. Did you happen to measure the groove in the hopper lid/door? Just curious to know if they changed the size.[/quote]

Hi,

Sorry, I didn't measure the groove, and can't do it now as the new gasket is already in place. However, I did test fit a piece of 3/8'' and 1/2'' gasket and they both fit in the groove but didn't extend out far enuf to form a tight seal against the stove top. The 5/8'' fits easily in the groove and extend out enuf to make a tight seal.

Hope that helps.

Glen

gleneaston

Post by gleneaston » Mon. Feb. 16, 2009 10:12 pm

Don_t_Say wrote:They made two different doors. Mine is a flat piece of metal without a latch, but I've seen some that were cast with a much thicker gasket and a latch!

Hi,

Haven't seen the style door you have. Does it have a gasket, and with no latch mech, how does it seal against the stove top?

See that you are in WV-I'm near Moundsville- wonder where you get your coal, and what price range is?

Glen

Don_t_Say

Post by Don_t_Say » Tue. Feb. 17, 2009 12:26 am

Glen: Yes, mine has a gasket, it's just a thin flat gasket about half inch wide. The weight of the door makes for a tight seal. I don't know which door is the newer one, but I think the one I have is the best. The other ones I've seen were loose and wobbley.

I'm near Buckhannon, there's a dealer there and one in Grafton. I think maybe there's one in Kingwood. Prices vary from $375 to $275 per ton of "bagged nut".
How about your "neck of the woods"? :(

gleneaston

Post by gleneaston » Tue. Feb. 17, 2009 6:54 pm

Don_t_Say wrote:Glen: Yes, mine has a gasket, it's just a thin flat gasket about half inch wide. The weight of the door makes for a tight seal. I don't know which door is the newer one, but I think the one I have is the best. The other ones I've seen were loose and wobbley.

I'm near Buckhannon, there's a dealer there and one in Grafton. I think maybe there's one in Kingwood. Prices vary from $375 to $275 per ton of "bagged nut".
How about your "neck of the woods"? :(
Hi,

Closest source that I have found near me is Heet, Inc. in Washington, PA. They have both bulk and bagged nut coal; bagged is $275.00 per ton. I'm thinking about getting 1 more ton as i'm running low. Haven't decided yet and may try to get by with what I have on hand, combined with propane and electric heaters.

Glen

Rex

Post by Rex » Fri. Feb. 20, 2009 3:11 am

Don_t_Say wrote:They made two different doors. Mine is a flat piece of metal without a latch, but I've seen some that were cast with a much thicker gasket and a latch!

My 50-93 has the flat gasket and the door is flat without the latch. The older units are like this with the newer models using the round gasket with latch. I currently ordered the newer style "latch door" and hope to weld into place this summer. I did replace my flat gasket this year. Called Hitzer and they mailed me the correct length.

gleneaston

Post by gleneaston » Sat. Feb. 21, 2009 7:29 pm

Rex wrote:

My 50-93 has the flat gasket and the door is flat without the latch. The older units are like this with the newer models using the round gasket with latch. I currently ordered the newer style "latch door" and hope to weld into place this summer. I did replace my flat gasket this year. Called Hitzer and they mailed me the correct length.
Hi,

I've found Hitzer to be very responsive to customer questions, in addition to making great products.

Glen

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”