Federal Airtight FA264CCL Fireplace Insert

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sat. Feb. 10, 2024 7:09 pm

OOOPs delete.
Last edited by joeq on Sat. Feb. 10, 2024 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joeq

Post by joeq » Sat. Feb. 10, 2024 7:10 pm

I see a spinner on your door, and thought that's where you adjusted the primary air for coal burning. Don't see the intakes on the sides. And where does the air from above enter, for the wood burning?
(TOTP)

ShawnLiNy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Waterford
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by ShawnLiNy » Sat. Feb. 10, 2024 9:59 pm

graystork wrote:
Sat. Feb. 10, 2024 5:02 pm
IMG_1306.jpegIMG_1318.jpegPretty badly warped. So I'll get a replacement through Woodsman Parts. Now as to what caused it. I can't get the ash door to close. It has an L-shaped lug on the fireside of the handle but this doesn't seem to catch on the stove. Just hits the flange of the door and stops. I'll investigate further. But here are the pictures of the door and interior.
Try to turn the lug so it’s facing the opposite direction and see if that latches ,some latches /lugs have a wedge shape and will only work in one direction ( you can get most gaskets at TSC/or other home store ) measure the channel that’s the width you need )

graystork
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Federal Airtight 2261
Coal Size/Type: stove or nut
Other Heating: gas furnace - municipal hookup

Post by graystork » Sun. Feb. 11, 2024 4:39 pm

You are a genius Shawn. Now works beautifully. May you be able to solve all my other coal questions so easily. Just finished wrestling with it for the afternoon. It looks like it never has had a coal load. The front grate and the side plates for the coal basket look brand new. (Either that or they beat the hell out of the originals and ordered unused replacements). So the only structural problems found to date are:
1. Warped center shaker grate
2. Front door top hinge is free, need to find a new pin or whatever holds it in.
3. One front door latching lug on inside completely missing - turning screw looks short probably just broke off.
4. Doesn't appear to have shaker grate covers that are supposed to be used for wood fires. I don't think this is a big deal. The manual says these only increase wood fire efficiency by 2-3%. I'll probably just go without for wood fires.

Center grate and front door lug should be easy replacement fixes. Haven't been able to find any replacement pins for the front door yet. Looks like just a solid cast iron pin. Also came with an addition I haven't seen in any of the manuals. I have what look like two cast iron shutters that fit over the front door windows from the inside. I wonder if these are supposed to be used for coal fires which would be too hot for the glass? In any event, there is not even a mention as to their existence in the manual.

ShawnLiNy

Post by ShawnLiNy » Sun. Feb. 11, 2024 5:04 pm

Glad the suggestion helped , I believe a replacement latch will have to be fabricated ( unless you have a friend who can weld a bolt on the broken handle either in place or bring the door to them ) you wand to have whatever latch system you decide on working before you order the new grates , as for burning wood any steel plate will do just lay over grates . But you want all the components operational before the expense of paying for grates .

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Feb. 11, 2024 5:41 pm

graystork wrote:
Sun. Feb. 11, 2024 4:39 pm

I have what look like two cast iron shutters that fit over the front door windows from the inside. I wonder if these are supposed to be used for coal fires which would be too hot for the glass? In any event, there is not even a mention as to their existence in the manual.
I wouldn't expect to see any louvers "above" the coal bed. Maybe that's what's used for wood burning, seeing there are no other intakes for over fire air. I can't see them used because of too much heat, from anything. Maybe they're used to keep the glass clean from soot burning wood. :annoyed:

graystork

Post by graystork » Sun. Feb. 11, 2024 7:45 pm

No louvers Joe. Just a flat cast iron plate with holes in the same places as the glass frames.

graystork

Post by graystork » Sun. Feb. 11, 2024 8:57 pm

stove pic.jpeg
.JPEG | 108.9KB | stove pic.jpeg

joeq

Post by joeq » Mon. Feb. 12, 2024 5:49 pm

Well, now doesn't that diagram tell the story. Once you get all them pieces together and serviceable, you should be in good shape.

graystork

Post by graystork » Tue. Feb. 13, 2024 7:02 pm

IMG_1328.jpeg
.JPEG | 711.5KB | IMG_1328.jpeg
OK - Initial success then a stone wall. Managed to get both front doors off with copious amounts of WD-40, working the doors in and out, and gently tapping on the bottom of the door with a hammer. Felt so accomplished. Replacement hinge pin arrived today so I set to work removing the broken pin from the door and the stove hinge. Alas this seems to be a tougher nut than the door. Haven't budged the pin with 30 minutes of WD-40 and tapping on the underside of the door side hinge with a hammer and a nail set. So I'm looking for a Plan B. Here are the pics.

ShawnLiNy

Post by ShawnLiNy » Tue. Feb. 13, 2024 8:31 pm

graystork wrote:
Tue. Feb. 13, 2024 7:02 pm
IMG_1328.jpegOK - Initial success then a stone wall. Managed to get both front doors off with copious amounts of WD-40, working the doors in and out, and gently tapping on the bottom of the door with a hammer. Felt so accomplished. Replacement hinge pin arrived today so I set to work removing the broken pin from the door and the stove hinge. Alas this seems to be a tougher nut than the door. Haven't budged the pin with 30 minutes of WD-40 and tapping on the underside of the door side hinge with a hammer and a nail set. So I'm looking for a Plan B. Here are the pics.
. Use a vice grip on top of pin ( you only have 1-2 chances to get a tight bite on it ) have someone lightly tap nail set while you are slightly wiggling the pin use a heat gun / bernzomatic torch or hair dryer to warm the cast hinge tab . If that fails and head get too chewed up to grip drill the pin out . Go slow be patient and gentle ( you do want
To crack anything

graystork

Post by graystork » Fri. Feb. 16, 2024 3:16 pm

No amount of tapping and PB Blaster budged it. So it was the drill. Got it out but the hinge holes are a little bit wider now. Hopefully this won't cause problems when I latch the doors down.

On to replacing the stove rope and door latch. I think I'll just go with the iron doors for now and fix the windows later. Window frames look pretty wasted.

graystork

Post by graystork » Sun. Feb. 18, 2024 12:28 pm

New door lug in place. Thank you PB Blaster. Now it's time for stove rope and some serious rust removal.
IMG_1331.jpeg
.JPEG | 1.4MB | IMG_1331.jpeg

joeq

Post by joeq » Sun. Feb. 18, 2024 1:38 pm

Moving right along. Good work. Love the before/after pics. Hoping you can keep the viewing windows operational.

graystork

Post by graystork » Sun. Feb. 18, 2024 5:07 pm

Just got them out Joe. Frames are pretty wasted but I have a source for replacement. Managed to break off two of six lag screws holding the two frames in. Got a favorite screw extractor that works? I'm now in the market for one.

Also I'm seeing some sites recommending wiping the stove down with a white vinegar/water solution after wire brushing. Anybody have any experience with this? Sounds like an old wive's tale.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”