New stove placement

zachary193
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Ds machine energy max 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Ds energy max 160
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak nut
Other Heating: Oil/electric

Post by zachary193 » Mon. Sep. 26, 2022 5:11 pm

When I place this stove in and hook up to the thimble . Obviously I need to cut the terra-cotta flush with the wall . I’d like to keep this stove off to the left to maintain center of the house . Also to give me some room for clean out area . So being I would need to 45 off the stove up to a 90 then strait back to the thimble . Or would it be best to just place the stove directly in front of the thimble strait up and 90 strait back to thimble ? I know every bend you get a discount in draft . I’m sure that I’m going to have to have a barometric damper some where in the pipe (due to open area and constant wind ). I really appreciate all of your advice and input there is a lot of knowledge in you old magic rock burners ! Thanks for all the help and advice ! :D

Attachments

34239737-674E-471C-9405-274114B4323C.jpeg

Ds energy max and thimble

Idlorah
Stoker Coal Boiler: Allen 700 stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Gibralter MCC
Coal Size/Type: Buck in the Allen and anything goes in the MCC, Anthracite
Other Heating: None, maybe some wood in the MCC in the shoulder season

Post by Idlorah » Mon. Sep. 26, 2022 7:31 pm

zachary193 wrote:
Mon. Sep. 26, 2022 5:11 pm
When I place this stove in and hook up to the thimble . Obviously I need to cut the terra-cotta flush with the wall . I’d like to keep this stove off to the left to maintain center of the house . Also to give me some room for clean out area . So being I would need to 45 off the stove up to a 90 then strait back to the thimble . Or would it be best to just place the stove directly in front of the thimble strait up and 90 strait back to thimble ? I know every bend you get a discount in draft . I’m sure that I’m going to have to have a barometric damper some where in the pipe (due to open area and constant wind ). I really appreciate all of your advice and input there is a lot of knowledge in you old magic rock burners ! Thanks for all the help and advice ! :D
I don't see any issues with running straight up to a 90* to the thimble. That is how i have my hand fired set up. you can look back at my posts if you like the post is tagged gibralter mcc.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Sep. 26, 2022 7:35 pm

Use two adjustable 90s. That will allow you to maintain good upward pitch in the pipe and still bring it in straight to the thimble.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Sep. 26, 2022 7:45 pm

A single 45* and 90* will be fine for draft...
One or both can be adjustable...

Hounds51
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 2 Legacy TLC 2000 one in the upper and 1 in the lower part of the house
Coal Size/Type: Wood and pea, nut ,stove and egg coal

Post by Hounds51 » Tue. Sep. 27, 2022 9:50 am

Since you have this in the basement, I can't see why you would need to cut the terra cotta. Also the least amount of bends, the better. If you can, make your pipe run at a slight angle, to facilitate a more positive draft.

zachary193
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Ds machine energy max 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Ds energy max 160
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak nut
Other Heating: Oil/electric

Post by zachary193 » Tue. Sep. 27, 2022 9:46 pm

Hounds51 wrote:
Tue. Sep. 27, 2022 9:50 am
Since you have this in the basement, I can't see why you would need to cut the terra cotta. Also the least amount of bends, the better. If you can, make your pipe run at a slight angle, to facilitate a more positive draft.
Good point with cutting it off , honestly I don’t need anymore dust . It looks like the cartel rolled a tractor trailer load of cocaine after cutting the hole in the block wall .

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”