Hitzer 50-93 AND woodburner

leward
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM520
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Hitzer 50-93 at camp
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354 double door woodburner

Post by leward » Sun. Oct. 18, 2020 7:55 pm

Need a few opinions. Here is our situation. We are going to build a new off grid camp 1000 ft2 in northern PA. We have a 50-93 and a woodburner. Several of the camp members want to build a double flue in the new camp and install both the Hitzer and the woodburner. The theory is to use the woodburner during the shoulder seasons when all you need is to knock off the chill ~ just a quick hot fire, rather than monkeying around building a coal fire. Several members however think this is redundant, and just want to go with one or the other stoves. What are your thoughts? double flue (masonry) and install both stoves or just one ? Firewood is all but free, only need labor and chainsaw . Thoughts?

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Sun. Oct. 18, 2020 8:26 pm

Leward as long as you can remove the hopper on your 5093 your fine with one stove. I think some of the older ones were not removable, don’t hold me to that. I have the 983 and 55 Hitzers and they burn wood great.

leward

Post by leward » Sun. Oct. 18, 2020 8:44 pm

Just bought the Hitzer, and unfortunately the "tag" is missing on the stove, so no idea of vintage. Looking in the top of the hopper, I do see four bolt heads. I presume these remove the hopper, but haven't wrenched on them yet to investigate.

Toddburn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983/ Hitzer 55
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite/pea
Other Heating: Heat pump/forced air

Post by Toddburn » Sun. Oct. 18, 2020 8:48 pm

Your good to go then. That stove will keep your camp good and warm with wood or cool. 1000sq ft is nothing for that stove. You’ll be opening windows!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Oct. 18, 2020 9:12 pm

If they're down closer to the fire box--they're for the hopper boot.

leward

Post by leward » Sun. Oct. 18, 2020 10:16 pm

I think they are down about 1/3 from top of hopper. Will check tomorrow

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Mon. Oct. 19, 2020 12:05 am

Before the EPA stuck their nose in everyone’s business the several Hitzer stoves were sold as a wood /coal stove...and can still be used as such as well as ordered with a single door or a double door.

Only need one chimney for the Hitzer 354, 983...assuming a viewing glass is important. If it’s not important the Hitzer 55/82 will work as well.

Hitzer 354

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Tue. Oct. 20, 2020 8:17 pm

leward wrote:
Sun. Oct. 18, 2020 8:44 pm
Just bought the Hitzer, and unfortunately the "tag" is missing on the stove, so no idea of vintage. Looking in the top of the hopper, I do see four bolt heads. I presume these remove the hopper, but haven't wrenched on them yet to investigate.
If removable hopper bottom, look in the front load door. You will see one bolt in the middle of hopper. Otherwise, as Fred says, The bolts are for holding on the hopper boot on the non-removable hoppers.

leward

Post by leward » Tue. Oct. 20, 2020 9:22 pm

OK. I checked, we have a Earlier version with non-removable hopper.
So back to step one, two stoves?
The Hitzer and a woodburner?
I'm not a big fan of wood - owned a logging business and I burned coal !
But you can get a quick hot fire in one and knock the chill off way quicker

LeoinRI
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Fonderies de Lion
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: J.S. Peckham Chicago #10, Weso, Our Glenwood 111, Sougland Excelsior 183

Post by LeoinRI » Wed. Oct. 21, 2020 4:57 am

We have a 640 sq ft off grid camp so space is a premium, particularly with the necessary stove offsets. My thought would be to keep an eye on craigslist and facebook marketplace for a hitzer with removeable hopper or other combination stove. Until you find an alternative, there is charcoal (~5x price for same BTU
:-(), and possibly compressed sawdust bricks for a short fire to chase off the chill.

coalder
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: harman sf 160
Other Heating: wood parlor stove

Post by coalder » Wed. Oct. 21, 2020 8:27 am

leward, this is a subject that I have given considerable thought to for quite some time; as my son owns a camp in Schoharie Co. NY & heats it with wood. Often I have thought that it would be great to install a small coal stove to replace the wood burner, however his camp is used so intermittently that I was very concerned about corrosion issues. So we just decided that for the amount the camp is used, we would just pool our resources & stick with wood. Just something to think about.
Jim

11ultra103
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, DS Comfortmax 75

Post by 11ultra103 » Wed. Oct. 21, 2020 9:12 am

I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing about my stove lol. But I bought a DS comfortmax for this exact reason. It burns wood great, and then all I have to do is remove the piece of metal I made to cover the grates and its ready for coal. But this stove has under fire air for the coal and over fire air for the wood.

You can still burn some wood in the Hitzer with the hopper in. I've done it with mine. Depends how much wood burning you plan on doing I guess. Every day for a month? Just a few nights you need a little heat and then switch to coal? Ive been burning wood in my Cmax almost every other day for the last month except now with this warm spell we're having in Pa.

The 50-93 is a great stove though, I run one in my garage and I'm very happy with it as well

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Oct. 21, 2020 9:15 am

A big +1 on all that Jim!!! :)
coalder wrote:
Wed. Oct. 21, 2020 8:27 am
leward, this is a subject that I have given considerable thought to for quite some time; as my son owns a camp in Schoharie Co. NY & heats it with wood. Often I have thought that it would be great to install a small coal stove to replace the wood burner, however his camp is used so intermittently that I was very concerned about corrosion issues. So we just decided that for the amount the camp is used, we would just pool our resources & stick with wood. Just something to think about.
Jim

leward

Post by leward » Wed. Oct. 21, 2020 8:18 pm

Well, just thought of a third option. I am going to look at what it would take to make the hopper removable in some fashion in this stove. Only have $400 in it, and it is near perfect and has the blower. Have plasma torch, welders, and angle grinder in my garage . Wouldn't be that big of a deal to cut the hopper off - down a couple inches from top, and then make a way to rehang. Weld a couple tabs on the bottom now removable piece, and figure some way to fasten. tap and thread some holes, weld in nuts. Pretty sure I can figure some way to make a project out of this.....

JohnB
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Mostly nut, some pea

Post by JohnB » Thu. Oct. 22, 2020 1:46 pm

leward wrote:
Wed. Oct. 21, 2020 8:18 pm
Well, just thought of a third option. I am going to look at what it would take to make the hopper removable in some fashion in this stove. Pretty sure I can figure some way to make a project out of this.....

I've got the later version of the 50-93 where the fixed upper section of the hopper hangs down 4.5" from the top. I've already had 8-10 of those quick, hot fires you describe so far this Fall. Works well to knock off the morning chill in our old Colonial.
The removable hopper section has a bracket/hook on each side that slides back on angle iron welded onto each side (inside) of the fixed section. There is a tab sticking up from the top front of the bottom section with a hole that mates with the hole in the upper section. 1 bolt locks it in place.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”