Beginner in need of guidance

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Dec. 04, 2019 9:19 am

The fans can be disassembled, cleaned and lubed...
They are not inexpensive to replace with new ones...
If you still have the old one...
Experiment on that one...
You may end up with a working spare...

Daveychirico
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503

Post by Daveychirico » Mon. Dec. 09, 2019 7:20 pm

Hello coal burners, as an update to this thread, I got my new baffle plate in today, bought it directly from Hitzer. Although it doesn’t look like what others have posted, I’m not sure if it’s the right part or something they just made after getting off the phone with me. Anyway I’m in the process of taking apart the stove and seeing if it will fit

Attachments

11ultra103
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, DS Comfortmax 75
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by 11ultra103 » Mon. Dec. 09, 2019 11:17 pm

Daveychirico wrote:
Sat. Nov. 30, 2019 7:10 pm
Thanks guys for the responses, after doing some inspection just now I found this leak in the exhaust pipe. So I know I’m losing some heat there. Also the previous owner said he always burned nut coal without any issues but he had tenants living in the house for the past 4 years and he wasn’t aware of what coal they used. The Hitzer manual says pea or nut coal but I think I’m gonna pick up some nut size coal tomorrow. I still have 2300 lbs of bagged pea coal that I will have to use up.

FrancoB hit the nail on the head. Thanks again
First thing I would do is call a certified chimney sweep and have them inspect that liner. The liner may have a hole in it or be improperly installed. Always remember safety first and this is your house! I'm burning nut coal in my Hitzer 50-93 and it is burning well. Someone had told me to use pea in fall and spring when its warmer out because it will put out less heat so I'm sticking with nut. Sounds to me like you are shaking the ash too much, you should only have to shake it twice a day 12 hours apart. But definitely get that adapter collar replaced, that is not safe, and don't burn the stove with the ash door open that is not safe either! Have that chimney inspected, maybe its blocked and not allowing the stove to draft. Never know if a bird got in there or something!

11ultra103
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, DS Comfortmax 75
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by 11ultra103 » Mon. Dec. 09, 2019 11:25 pm

Daveychirico wrote:
Mon. Dec. 09, 2019 7:20 pm
Hello coal burners, as an update to this thread, I got my new baffle plate in today, bought it directly from Hitzer. Although it doesn’t look like what others have posted, I’m not sure if it’s the right part or something they just made after getting off the phone with me. Anyway I’m in the process of taking apart the stove and seeing if it will fit
Somehow missed the rest of this thread, but seems like you are going in the right direction! Keep us updated on how it does with the new baffle

CapeCoaler

Post by CapeCoaler » Tue. Dec. 10, 2019 7:04 am

Looks like a baffle with the restrictor welded on...
Did they give you install instructions...

Daveychirico

Post by Daveychirico » Wed. Dec. 11, 2019 6:10 am

So the instal went ok. They didn’t give me any instructions, and I noticed one of the brackets the plate sits on is half rotted away. I installed it with the restrictor in use. I also replaced the stove collar with the correct one. I am burning nut coal now for the past 36 hours. The house has cooled down 3 degrees in that time. Here are some pictures I also bought some thermometers to see how hit the stove is running. With this pile of nut coal these are my temps. I also have been leaving my draft pretty much wide open most of the time in hopes to get the stove running around 400-600 range and I can’t seem to get past 200-300. Honestly it still doesn’t seem right to me, but I’m not sure what else I can replace. Or what else my be the issue.

Attachments

5724E275-336D-4038-B6E1-DCE13806C762.jpeg
.JPEG | 474KB | 5724E275-336D-4038-B6E1-DCE13806C762.jpeg
image.jpg
.JPG | 713.9KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 718.3KB | image.jpg
image.jpg
.JPG | 598.8KB | image.jpg

CapeCoaler

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Dec. 11, 2019 9:36 am

Thermo locations are on the air chamber side...
Stove top center front...
Directly above glass door stove front...
Will give a better read...
Cut the draft on ash door to pencil size...
Gaskets new or checked...
over fire air shut...
Just below glass door latch...
Pushed to left side closed...
Good fire should be pushing the heat...
Fan blades cleaned/checked for buildup...
Just a bit of crust will slow down air flow...

Daveychirico

Post by Daveychirico » Wed. Dec. 11, 2019 1:27 pm

I'll move the stove thermometers later tonight. This morning ( 6am) i loaded the stove up to most of the hopper and bumped the draft on the ash pan to 75%. Ill check and see what the temp is when i get home at 430 but i just cant picture the stove putting out enough heat with the draft down to the size of a pencil. My room still wont get above 75 degrees. I plan to venture up on the roof today and look down the chimney, not sure what im looking for but maybe i will see a blockage of some sort ? even though that seems unlikely given how strong my draft was before.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Dec. 11, 2019 1:43 pm

Look at the fire after 3 or 4 hours and judge if it is putting out well. Should be mostly red with some yellow. Put one of the thermometers on the exhaust.

That stove is mostly double wall, so use CapeCoaler's advice on thermometer placement.

Careful on the roof breathing toxic fumes too long. Bring a powerful flashlight.

KingCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: 1 comforter stove works all iron coal box stove, seventies.
Baseburners & Antiques: 2014 DTS C17 Base Burner, GW #6, GW 113 formerly Sir Williams, maybe others at Pauliewog’s I’ve forgotten about
Coal Size/Type: Nut Anth.
Other Heating: none

Post by KingCoal » Wed. Dec. 11, 2019 2:00 pm

did you stuff insulation or some thing else in between the flex pipe and that reducer ?

from the pic it still looks like a pretty loose fit.

could the reducer be flipped over going outside the stove collar and the flex over the smaller side and clamped ?

???
steve

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Wed. Dec. 11, 2019 2:34 pm

Where are you located? If you are close to one of our members, it's possible they may be able to take a look at it.

Paulie

Daveychirico

Post by Daveychirico » Wed. Dec. 11, 2019 6:24 pm

Hey guys, thanks again for the responses. I am in upstate N.Y. just south of Syracuse. So tonight, I moved one of the thermometers to just above the door. That seems to be giving a more accurate temp reading now. I can’t put a thermometer on the exhaust because of the metal panel that blocks it. When I had the whole thing apart I did look at the flue liner and it was packed with insulation the chimney walls. The flex pipe (ss flue liner) and the stove collar fit together quite snug. The clamp tightened it down a lot and I did a smoke test before I put it back together so I know I didn't have Any leaks there. I also added a little extra rock wool around the flex pipe just to be certain I wasn’t losing any heat up the chimney. I didn’t make it up to the roof today. A little to snowy and icy. my home stayed at 66 all day which is pretty good considering it was 25-30 out. I’d like to be able to maintain 70-72 degrees but then I’m sure I’d need to burn more coal. I just used the last of the 10 bags of nut size that I got a couple weeks ago. Although the stove wasn’t running for a majority of that time. I’m gonna start burning pea coal until I can get another 500-600 lbs of nut size

Attachments

image.jpg
.JPG | 687.6KB | image.jpg

LouNY
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer fireplace insert
Coal Size/Type: nut
Other Heating: oil

Post by LouNY » Wed. Dec. 11, 2019 7:31 pm

I've never burnt pea in mine so I can't say what you will see.
Everything I have heard is you will get a bit less heat out of your stove.
It may seem counter intuitive but put more coal in your stove, fill the hopper
and then reach in with a poker and push some towards the rear of the stove and refill the hopper.
You should be able to cut the air down to a round hole the size of a pencil with nut coal,
and the stove full and the hopper full.
Lou

Daveychirico

Post by Daveychirico » Wed. Dec. 11, 2019 7:36 pm

Just finished loading it to the brim with pea coal, I accidentally left the ash pan door open while I was preparing dinner and came down to see the coal glowing red. The stove temp in the new location is at 600 degrees. A new record for me lol I think I might be coming to the end of my coal journey.

CapeCoaler

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Dec. 11, 2019 7:38 pm

You will not get any heat out of pea if you are not getting it with nut...
If you don't fill the hopper...
Be careful the pea can fuse and bridge if you leave that ash door open...
The flue liner and stove collar look fine...
The hopper does not look full...
Looking closer at your other pics of the fire you need more coal...
Fill the hopper...
With nut...

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”