Cement board thickness under stove

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 11:22 pm

OverKill never hurt no nobody...
LOL...
Sounds like a plan...
And keeps the other-half happy...

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Sep. 17, 2019 9:16 am

Buy, find, or build a container to sit your ash pan into to carry it outside. I just use a larger stoves ash pan to sit mine in. Its not just for falling hot ash. JR's ash pan is on the small side and it will save a little mess with cold ash too.

Overkill is good.

charlesosborne2002
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: natural gas central forced air

Post by charlesosborne2002 » Tue. Sep. 17, 2019 9:27 am

Freedom wrote:
Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 10:20 pm
All right boys ... since I can’t stop thinking about , I’m going simple and heavy duty . 1) a 4x4 foot square piece of heavy gauge sheet with one inch angle iron all around on the floor. 2) a 3x3 foot piece of cement board over that . 3) square stock hollow 4 inch about 6 pieces - about 5 inches apart laid over the cement board on the floor . 4) another 3x3 foot piece of cement on top of that through bolted together . A 3x3 foot cement sandwich held apart with plenty of airflow by the square stock pipe .... dropped on a 4x4 foot sheet plate with angle iron edge all around ..... give me a week or so & I’ll have er done and post the pictures .... I gotta go heavy duty over the carpet & Chinese non skid .... I know Freetown Fred .... rip it out and be done with it & I would but the my better half ain’t having it ..... I’ll get it done safe one way or the other
By the time you do all that, couldn't you just buy a ready made stove board to do the job and look nice? They come in all sizes. Some are way expensive, but some are not.
I wonder about the draft in a mobile home--cracking a window is fine, but most stoves need about 14 ft of chimney or pipe for adequate draft, preferably inside? Would a short chimney still work, but not as hot? (That might be a good thing in this case.)

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Sep. 17, 2019 11:31 am

I'm still in agreement with a piece of crete bd. on top of some well spaced 1X2's. No need for over-kill---just safety--you're not a fool--just be safe withit. My 50-93 is on 1x2's--crete bd. & tile--no problems in 10 yrs.

Attachments

004.JPG
.JPG | 59.3KB | 004.JPG

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Sep. 17, 2019 12:01 pm

charlesosborne2002 wrote:
Tue. Sep. 17, 2019 9:27 am
By the time you do all that, couldn't you just buy a ready made stove board to do the job and look nice? They come in all sizes. Some are way expensive, but some are not.
One of the not expensive type is what I got from Lowes to put under my Glenwood #6 Base heater, which gets hotter under it than non-base heater stoves. https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-Black-Stove-Board/3818607

3 foot by 4 foot and 1/2 inch thick fireproof board with a sheet metal covering.

Paul

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Tue. Sep. 17, 2019 12:40 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Tue. Sep. 17, 2019 12:01 pm
One of the not expensive type is what I got from Lowes to put under my Glenwood #6 Base heater, which gets hotter under it than non-base heater stoves. https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-Black-Stove-Board/3818607

3 foot by 4 foot and 1/2 inch thick fireproof board with a sheet metal covering.

Paul
Doesnt the fiberboard part get crushed from the stoves weight? I use these on walls and my low ceiling upstairs but any Ive seen under a stove are crushed. Granted the Jr probably only weighs 100 lbs or a little over.

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Tue. Sep. 17, 2019 1:18 pm

warminmn wrote:
Tue. Sep. 17, 2019 12:40 pm
Doesnt the fiberboard part get crushed from the stoves weight? I use these on walls and my low ceiling upstairs but any Ive seen under a stove are crushed. Granted the Jr probably only weighs 100 lbs or a little over.
Nope. With the one I bought from Lowes the fiberboard is dense enough to support the stove without the feet denting the sheet metal. And a GW#6 is no lightweight stove. With the magazine in mine, just the coal in it is about 70 pounds.

On that Lowes page I linked to, in the details it even states that it's not just "wallboard" and that it can be used under stoves. Now heading into it's third season and the board is still in good shape.

Paul

warminmn

Post by warminmn » Tue. Sep. 17, 2019 1:30 pm

hmm, its the same brand I have here. Good to know. Maybe the ones Ive seen crushed were a different brand. Ive seen 2 that way. Or maybe they dropped the stove onto the board and crushed it, its hard to say. With the weight of the OP's JR it shouldnt be a problem.

Freedom
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby jr.
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Freedom » Tue. Sep. 17, 2019 10:19 pm

Thanks men for all the great advice . Charlesosbore 2002 I’ve got plenty of drafts in here trust me & there is a outside small fresh air vent right behind the stove in back of the sheet metal . Also the stack is 3 - 40 inch pipe sections & 20 more on top for a total of 140 inches insulated double wall to keep it hot , always pulled like hell with the wood stove even when I had it burning slow as possible , I’ll confirm with a manometer soon . Freetown Fred i like the ide you have & it’s simple but I have the stuff here to make what I’m gonna try except the Crete board & that isn’t too expensive . If it sucks I’ll just go the 1x route ... sunny boy ... thanks for the info & like ya said if it can hold your beast of a stove the chubby jr would be no problem , but I’m gonna try this first . . Cape coaler & everyone else I can’t thank you all enough for the responses . I’m working a night job 3 days a week so if ya don’t hear back from me I didn’t abandon ship , by the weekend I’ll be back & building my idea & I greatly appreciate the feed back from the gang ....always hate reading a thread & you all help so much the ask the OP how things turned out .? & poof the son of a B disappears & we never find out LOL ... be well my friends

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Wed. Sep. 18, 2019 12:25 pm

FWIW.... I used 1/2" Durock over the wood subfloor then tiled over it. I screwed the Durock down and set the tile in thinset. I'm pretty sure I researched this combo for use as a hearth but you shouldn't take my word for it.

My Chubby still has the bottom heat shield. Just underneath, the hearth surface does get warm to the touch but not too.

The brick behind the stove is anchored to the wood floor and set 2" from the wall using mason ties paced about every 12 inches. I used 5/8" sheetrock over the studs and insulated those stud bays with mineral wool. Here's a pic of what it looks like.

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Wed. Sep. 18, 2019 8:40 pm

That looks awesome keegs

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Wed. Sep. 18, 2019 9:05 pm

I ran the stove last night down in lower 50’s ....woke up just barely crack bottom air vent less than a 16th MPD was shut it got into the low 70’s today . Came home from work thinking it would be out ? She was running about 180* so I opened the MPD then the bottom vents like Larry’s video said & about 15 minutes later the blue ladies were like two inches high looking through the mica window I couldn’t friggin believe it .... I dumped the ash pan then shook it scraped the grates from the bottom threw on a shovel full at a temp of 375 waited about 5 minutes & I loaded her up again ,closed the air on bottom to a 16th waist 5 minutes shut the MPD and she just cruised along a little under 200* . It’s 54 out now haven’t touched the stove 78 on the end where the stove is & 74 here 35 feet away . Only the second time I ever lit this coal stove & it’s the first one I ever had . I’m in awe how easy it was following Larry’s directions . I know I have a lot to learn & am totally green to coal , but right now it just seems too easy but it really was and is that simple . Only thing I did about 2 hours ago was open the air a crack more just to see if the temp would rise & half hour or so later I checked it & it went up to about 300* . Then I closed the air back to a 16th & 45 minutes later it is just staying at 200* . No layering coal or any other tricks I have been reading pages and pages of ... I piled the coal up like I said following the video and no blues on top at such a slow burn and even 200* temp just a slight glow through the cracked open air vents , never opened the load door after filling & never messed with it likeLarry told me . I doubt it’s beginners luck cause I’m not real lucky .... I know I’m just learning about this stove but it really is a testament to the design of the chubby jr . Thank you LT if you see this I could not be happier then the choice I made buying this stove

Freedom

Post by Freedom » Wed. Sep. 18, 2019 10:17 pm

Update , yea I got a lot to learn yet , it’s about an hour later since my post above 51* outside and slowly dropping stove was steady at 300* and thermostat in the stove room pegged at 99 other end of 5th wheel 35 feet away 94 , I shut her down to barley a crack agin on the bottom air vents & she’s slowly cooling off...... every widow in here ope wide & a door . JUST GOT MY FIRST LESSON IN AS YOU YA’LL SAY WINDOWSTATS .... think I’m gonna be real happy this winter . So far I’m loving the DARKSIDE !!

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Sep. 18, 2019 11:00 pm

Welcome...
LOL...
Just fired the 503 hitzer...
On Coal just for a few days to take the chill off...
It got to 70* in the house...
Too Cold...
LOL...

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Thu. Sep. 19, 2019 2:54 am

Overnight temps here next week will be in the high 40s low 50s. Daytime temps will be in the 60s. I'm still not that good at keeping a low burn so I've been leaning on wood for these shoulder months.....saves some money too. Don't get rid of the wood pile.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”