Cookin' With Coal

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Wed. Sep. 11, 2019 6:47 am

I heat about 1500 sf of the back of my uninsulated old house with the range. And it's the smaller, if not smallest, size range that Glenwood made. The Glenwood Models F and N are about the same size - 18 wide oven, which has been big enough to easily fit a roasting pan with a 20 lb turkey.

If you combine a couple of the choices allowed in the National Fire Codes, you can get a range's rear clearance down to 9 inches from what the codes call "combustibles". For a small range such as my Sunny Glenwood or a model F, It doesn't come out as far from the back wall as my GW #6 has to, even with a wall-mounted heat shield. The range is only 30 inches from the back side to the front edge of the oven shelf. My GW #6 is 37 inches from the back of the pipe elbow to the front edge of the nickeled skirt.

The range is in a corner of the kitchen. From the left hand wall by the hearth end to the other end of the range is 75 inches. That's longer than most because my range has the water reservoir tank on the end which adds about 6 inches more than with just the same range having an end shelf. Pic of position below.

I made a simple sheet metal box that covers the rear of the range and hangs from the back edge of the cooktop by the two mantel shelf screws. I filled it with two layers of one inch thick rock wool sheets. That also helped reduce heat loss through the back of the range to an outside wall and it increased oven temps without having to push the firebed as hard and use more coal.

The hearth end of the range will need more clearance, not just because it can't be shielded but to be able to tend the fire and ashes safely.

Paul

Attachments

DSC_0012.JPG
.JPG | 432.8KB | DSC_0012.JPG

D.lapan
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: newmac wood,coal,oil como
Baseburners & Antiques: 20th century laurel, glenwood hickory,crawford fairy
Coal Size/Type: nut, stove

Post by D.lapan » Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 7:31 pm

Well I haven’t started using coal yet but I have been having a fire in the evenings to take the chill out, and of course been doing some minor cooking.
Here is a picture of the 508E I just finished for a woman in southern New Hampshire. Hopefully she will be joining the forum this fall to learn the ways..
Dana

Attachments

EEF5ED09-26DE-4D0D-B6AC-BDC02F9E8FCE.jpeg
.JPEG | 731KB | EEF5ED09-26DE-4D0D-B6AC-BDC02F9E8FCE.jpeg

Visit Hitzer Stoves

Sunny Boy
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Anthracite Industrial, domestic hot water heater
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood range 208, # 6 base heater, 2 Modern Oak 118.
Coal Size/Type: Nuts !
Other Heating: Oil &electric plenum furnace

Post by Sunny Boy » Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 9:38 pm

Great job, Dana. I hope she does join and enjoys using the range as much as we do.
Love that double shelf mantel ! That lower shelf is one of the type with the swing-out trivets ?

Paul

D.lapan
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: newmac wood,coal,oil como
Baseburners & Antiques: 20th century laurel, glenwood hickory,crawford fairy
Coal Size/Type: nut, stove

Post by D.lapan » Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 9:43 pm

Sunny Boy wrote:
Mon. Sep. 16, 2019 9:38 pm
Great job, Dana. I hope she does join and enjoys using the range as much as we do.
Love that double shelf mantel ! That lower shelf is one of the type with the swing-out trivets ?

Paul
Thanks,
No they don’t swing out, they actually have a set screw in the center to told them in place, I’ll take some close ups tomorrow it seems to be a less common mantle than a standard E

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”