Hitzer 50-93 in basement try to heat upstairs

craig1980

Post by craig1980 » Wed. Dec. 12, 2018 9:15 pm

Looking for some help and suggestions. I lit my Hitzer 50-93 for the first time four days ago. I currently have the dial set on number 10 and the front air vent open about 1/4". The stack temp is about 200 degrees and the stove top around 420 degrees. My dilemma is I was trying to use this as my primary heat source. The stove sits in my finished basement with a 7 foot drop ceiling. It is just at the bottom of a small staircase. My hope was that I could leave the door at the top of the stairs open and the heat would find its way up. Problem is its not working. My basement is about 70 degrees but my house is 58 degrees. Basement included my house is 2000 square feet. I tried using a fan midway up the stairs to blow the heat up but that had no effect. Not sure what do to at this point. Crank the stove to a higher heat setting? Remove some of the ceiling tiles and insulation? Cut in registers? I can get pictures or anything else that may help. Thank you in advanced!

KLook
Other Heating: Wishing it was cold enough for coal here....not really

Post by KLook » Wed. Dec. 12, 2018 9:20 pm

Your problem is getting air down, not up. If you put a return vent in at some distance from the stairway, and even put a fan in it, you will create a return flow allowing for an upward flow. This subject has been debated many times in this forum. Do a search and you will find tons of reading and suggestions on the subject.

Kevin

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Wed. Dec. 12, 2018 9:32 pm

You'll need a cold air return. check with the local building department on what is allowed. Also they can give you some good advice.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Dec. 12, 2018 9:42 pm

Listen to Klook. A hot air system even if ductless, must provide for return air. There should be a strong current of air going down the lower part of your stairway. Set that fan blowing down and you will see enough difference to prove the point.

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Wed. Dec. 12, 2018 11:13 pm

Lots of past discussions on how to move the heat...
Usually is a non pathway for cold air return issue...
Use the search upper right corner...
Ya need the full circle to move the air...
then the heat will follow the path...

craig1980

Post by craig1980 » Wed. Dec. 12, 2018 11:35 pm

Wow. I knew I was missing something! This makes perfect sense to me. I will do some reading on the forum and hopefully find an easy way. I would like to get this done asap. Really happy and impressed with this stove btw. I absolutely love it so far. Cant wait to make it even better.

BlackBetty06
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Stockton Nut
Other Heating: Jotul 118b woodstove, dual fuel heat pump/condensing propane furnace

Post by BlackBetty06 » Sun. Dec. 16, 2018 9:07 pm

I heat just a little more square footage than you (2400) with the same stove also in the basement but on opposite end as the steps. As said above don’t try and move the heat, a mistake I made for a few years. Push that low lying cold air towards the stove. It will displace the warm air which will roll out the top of your steps. To check, I separated a two ply tissue into two small strips and place one at the top and bottom of the doorway at the top of my steps. Top one stands out and bottom one is pulled in showing the air current. I also have a 12x12 floor register. My house is a rancher. Unless it’s in the teens or lower with a strong wind, the stove heats my house exclusively

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Dec. 17, 2018 11:00 am

I agree with the others about moving the heat around, but I don't think that is the only issue. If all of the heat was staying in the basement, it should be a lot warmer than 70 down there. Either your basement walls are absorbing a lot of the heat, or the Hitzer has a lot of output you are not taking advantage of.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Dec. 17, 2018 4:25 pm

I'd have to agree with Rob. Crank it up!

gardener

Post by gardener » Tue. Dec. 18, 2018 8:11 am

(assuming you have ductwork) look in your basement drop ceiling where the main floor registers are, you might be able to disconnect the ductwork at or near some of the registers and leave the drop ceiling panels off for the season; if your ductwork is sealed that may not be an option

alternatively if you do have ductwork, you could take a section out that is more convenient than at the registers, let it work passively or you could also use an inline ductwork fan at that spot to inject warm air in, or use those register booster fans to draw air out of the basement to the mainfloor, your stairwell would then become the return air

our heat pump has ductwork enveloping the cold air return register, it is in a side of the basement that is not finished or closeted off so I am able to just remove a panel from that ductwork to expose the cold air return, leave the basement door open, its not ideal but a draft can be felt when the panel is off -- it is option for me to take this panel off and cover up the cold air return, then turn the heat pump's circulation fan on so it would draw the air in from the basement and push it out of the main floor registers

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Tue. Dec. 18, 2018 8:30 am

Can anyone advise how to size the fan? I have two small registers (5"x10") upstairs on the opposite side of the house from the stairs.

Bubbalowe
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II 2310
Baseburners & Antiques: Grodin Petite
Other Heating: electric radiators until used boiler hook up

Post by Bubbalowe » Tue. Dec. 18, 2018 9:54 am

craig1980 wrote:
Wed. Dec. 12, 2018 9:15 pm
Looking for some help and suggestions. I lit my Hitzer 50-93 for the first time four days ago. I currently have the dial set on number 10 and the front air vent open about 1/4". The stack temp is about 200 degrees and the stove top around 420 degrees. My dilemma is I was trying to use this as my primary heat source. The stove sits in my finished basement with a 7 foot drop ceiling. It is just at the bottom of a small staircase. My hope was that I could leave the door at the top of the stairs open and the heat would find its way up. Problem is its not working. My basement is about 70 degrees but my house is 58 degrees. Basement included my house is 2000 square feet. I tried using a fan midway up the stairs to blow the heat up but that had no effect. Not sure what do to at this point. Crank the stove to a higher heat setting? Remove some of the ceiling tiles and insulation? Cut in registers? I can get pictures or anything else that may help. Thank you in advanced!
Blower or radiant?

CapeCoaler
Stoker Coal Boiler: want AA130
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine BS#4, Harman MKII, Hitzer 503,...
Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Stove

Post by CapeCoaler » Tue. Dec. 18, 2018 11:29 am

http://www.fantech.net/products/fans--accessories ... nline-fan/
EC fan, 500 cfm, speed controllable and under $250...

Serge
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Blaschak nuts

Post by Serge » Thu. Dec. 27, 2018 8:52 am

20181227_085156.jpg
.JPG | 349.4KB | 20181227_085156.jpg
If you have an air exchanger, run it 24 hours a day, you will shortly see a difference. I also use 2 floor grill 16 x16 on the main floor above the stove and a similar floor grill on the hallway at the other end of the house on the sleeping area where we want it cooler. The temperature is the same in the hallways upstairs and downstairs about 72 to 74°. My house is 28 x48 with finished basement

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”