Getting two Vigilant II coal stoves soon

TheTradesmanChannel

Post by TheTradesmanChannel » Wed. Jan. 10, 2018 10:32 pm

CDF_USAF wrote:
Wed. Jan. 10, 2018 10:23 pm
Sure am, giving you a hard time. Its cold up there, I understand. It really is a great place to learn.

-Craig
I know you now...good evening. I believe you recommended this site...your own darn fault!
I can't wait to go pick those stoves up. I'm ready for steady heat.

CDF_USAF
Stoker Coal Boiler: Formerly AA-130

Post by CDF_USAF » Wed. Jan. 10, 2018 10:58 pm

LOL, yea..I may have mentioned it once or twice. Didn't think I would lose my evening entertainment though...

TheTradesmanChannel

Post by TheTradesmanChannel » Wed. Jan. 10, 2018 11:07 pm

CDF_USAF wrote:
Wed. Jan. 10, 2018 10:58 pm
LOL, yea..I may have mentioned it once or twice. Didn't think I would lose my evening entertainment though...
Don't worry, I'm getting back into the swing of things. I had to catch up on sleep and recharge. I've been spending just about every night for the past 6 months filming, editing and so on until 1 or 2am then out the door for work early. My body was telling me to slow down a little. It happens every few months with me. Once I get recharged I feel like a new man. Switching to coal will save me a couple of weeks worth of work a year.

CDF_USAF
Stoker Coal Boiler: Formerly AA-130

Post by CDF_USAF » Wed. Jan. 10, 2018 11:21 pm

No worries. Its a good time to get rested up. Plus now there can be a coal bin build. It'll save you more than time hopefully. Looking forward to your stove videos.

Raven
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant II
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: Forced air furnace

Post by Raven » Sat. Jan. 13, 2018 7:04 pm

You'll love this group! I had plenty of learning to do in a short amount of time with my Vig 2310, these guys got us through it and now we are trying to figure out what to do with the wood pile lol

TheTradesmanChannel

Post by TheTradesmanChannel » Sun. Jan. 14, 2018 3:59 am

Raven wrote:
Sat. Jan. 13, 2018 7:04 pm
You'll love this group! I had plenty of learning to do in a short amount of time with my Vig 2310, these guys got us through it and now we are trying to figure out what to do with the wood pile lol
I can't wait. Hopefully I'll be making the drive in a week or so to go get them. Going to have to make my hearth bigger though. Time to do a nice one, I've looked at Durarock for 10 years.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Jan. 14, 2018 8:14 am

Dura-rock is a good base for tile if that's the route you're gonna take.

TheTradesmanChannel

Post by TheTradesmanChannel » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 12:41 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Sun. Jan. 14, 2018 8:14 am
Dura-rock is a good base for tile if that's the route you're gonna take.
That's the route I'm going with. I looked closer at the pics of the stoves I'm getting and one is the older style Vigilant and the other is the newer style with the ash pan door. Also noticed on the Vig 2 that one of the doors is solid cast while the other one has glass. Both doors on the old style have glass. Are the doors interchangeable between the two generations?

Rich W.
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Castings Vigilant Multi-Fuel (coal for me); Vermont Castings Vigilant 2310 in the shop
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: System 2000 Oil Burner; VC Resolute Woodstove (sold) Jotul 8 Woodstove (sold)

Post by Rich W. » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 1:19 pm

The “solid” door may just have a metal panel as a placeholder to the glass. I had a Resolute configured without glass, and that is how the doors were “solid.” It will be evident when you can inspect the actual stove, rather than photos. Also, my understanding is that the doors were fitted to the stove at the time of manufacturing, and that interchangeability is hit and miss. Hope this helps.

TheTradesmanChannel

Post by TheTradesmanChannel » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 1:54 pm

Rich W. wrote:
Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 1:19 pm
The “solid” door may just have a metal panel as a placeholder to the glass. I had a Resolute configured without glass, and that is how the doors were “solid.” It will be evident when you can inspect the actual stove, rather than photos. Also, my understanding is that the doors were fitted to the stove at the time of manufacturing, and that interchangeability is hit and miss. Hope this helps.
That is a help. It's not a big deal. I'm looking forward to going through the stoves. I've been reading through this forum, all the way back to the first post on everything covering these stoves. Good to know what you're looking for from day one.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 3:14 pm

Indeed T, you're good to your stove & she'll be good to you! :)

BigBarney

Post by BigBarney » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 5:27 pm

Lightning Said...

"It's not whole heartedly true that a coal fire is hotter than a wood fire. The difference is duration. Coal has more BTUs packed into it than wood and those BTUs can be released in a more controlled fashion. With better control of heat production the stove can manage absorbing those BTUs and radiating them to the house more efficiently instead of them going out the chimney. It's my thinking that a coal fire uses more of the available oxygen that it's presented with than a wood fire. This translates into a lot less heated air mass going up the chimney since 80% of the combustion air is nitrogen which does nothing other than soak up heat and go up the chimney."

Coal makes a hotter fire by a large amount , that is why you need coke to make iron , or you could

use charcoal , but you need a lot of it. Wood cannot generate enough heat to melt iron , mainly because of

water which limits the heat. Woods limit is about 1100* F and coal will reach 3500* F , so approximately 3x

as hot. Bituminous coal will burn over 2500* F and coke will get to 3600* F.

BigBarney

TheTradesmanChannel

Post by TheTradesmanChannel » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 9:09 pm

I forge some with anth., it's harder to get going but it makes some serious heat. That's why I figured it burned hotter. I know if the I get the forge cranking too much I can melt small stock pretty quickly.

Lightning
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Modified AA 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Size - Anthracite

Post by Lightning » Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 9:44 pm

A lot of wood burners that have tried coal say that they've always been able to get a hotter fire (more heat) with wood than with coal. But of course it's much shorter lived. I've never heard the opposite.

TheTradesmanChannel

Post by TheTradesmanChannel » Tue. Jan. 16, 2018 2:13 am

Lightning wrote:
Mon. Jan. 15, 2018 9:44 pm
A lot of wood burners that have tried coal say that they've always been able to get a hotter fire (more heat) with wood than with coal. But of course it's much shorter lived. I've never heard the opposite.
That's a curious thing. I was at the local coal supplier here this past week and his stove was running at 500...felt like I was standing in front of the sun. When my woodstove is running at 800 it doesn't feel that warm. Coal must distribute it's heat differently...or maybe it's so much of the heat goes up the chimney with wood.

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”