Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105 - SOLD
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95 - Garage
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: HITZER 50-93 - HOUSE
Coal Size/Type: NUT
Other Heating: PROPANE FURNACE, ELECTIC BASE BOARD, AND WOOD FIRE PLACE

Post by DENNIS BAUER » Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 3:04 pm

Lightning wrote:
Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 2:41 pm
I agree with rberq, many new coal burners make the mistake of not properly clearing ash and after a few days the fuel bed becomes ash bound. I also agree that the fly ash settling on top of the coal is in no way causing a problem.

I think what Dennis is describing is not quite called "stirring" but more of an agitation to get ash to fall from the center of the fuel bed towards the grates. I use a similar technique I like to call "heaving" with a 4 foot section of heavy rebar.
Yeah, I like your terminology better. "heaving"

DENNIS BAUER

Post by DENNIS BAUER » Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 3:08 pm

windyhill4.2 wrote:
Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 2:49 pm
That is much more ash removal involvement than my stove requires....mine is not a Hitzer & the company is no more.

I thought the Hitzer stoves were supposed to be easy ???

I might play with my coal.... but never when the coal is hot...

Maybe my parents told me i could get burnt while playing with hot coals ?
The 50-93 I don't think needs that much involvement, the 30-95 however does. The slanted back bricks make for a terrible spot to get ash bound. I taught my self on the 30-95 and keeping that going in the shop the last two winters. The 50-93 in new to me this winter. I'm still learning the inns and outs.
Fire has been going not stop since the 2nd week of November so I don't think I'm doing anything Wrong per say but maybe not perfect. Like I tell 2 of my friends that switch from wood to coal this winter. Coal has a very STEEP learning curve. I think the same can be said when you get a new stove.
Don't be to hard on me, this is only my 4th winter with coal and I was a Stoker person before....

michaelanthony
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant 2310, gold marc box stove
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Gold Marc Independence
Baseburners & Antiques: Home Sparkle 12
Coal Size/Type: 'nut
Other Heating: Fujitsu mini split, FHA oil furnace

Post by michaelanthony » Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 3:55 pm

DENNIS BAUER : Don't be to hard on me, this is only my 4th winter with coal and I was a Stoker person before....

Welcome to the "be careful what you say" side ahem...I mean "hand fed" side ROTFLMOA!! :lol:

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 4:01 pm

You're right D, it doesn't. Ditto on that ROTFLMAO MA :clap: The only poking--OK Lee--heaving_ LOL--I do with the 50-93 is on the side edges (brick frame) every couple weeks. That doesn't effect the fire bed that much, just a good thing to do. This is a real user friendly stove--hardest for people coming from another type solid fuel--mine was wood for 45 yrs.--my first 2 yrs.were nothing but learning right here on the FORUM after being a coal idiot for a couple yrs on my own brilliance!!! LOL

DENNIS BAUER

Post by DENNIS BAUER » Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 4:12 pm

freetown fred wrote:
Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 4:01 pm
You're right D, it doesn't. Ditto on that ROTFLMAO MA :clap: The only poking--OK Lee--heaving_ LOL--I do with the 50-93 is on the side edges (brick frame) every couple weeks. That doesn't effect the fire bed that much, just a good thing to do. This is a real user friendly stove--hardest for people coming from another type solid fuel--mine was wood for 45 yrs.--my first 2 yrs.were nothing but learning right here on the FORUM after being a coal idiot for a couple yrs on my own brilliance!!! LOL
I grew up heating with wood, have a wood fire place in the livingroom on the house now. I don't have the time frame in that you do considering I'm I just turned 30 but I'll be staying with coal. I still cut and split 2 to 3 face cord for the fire place. Good enough for me!

jw157
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by jw157 » Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 6:06 pm

Thank you for all the suggestions. I just got home and plan to start it up and try again.

I am using “Bucks Premium Anthracite” has a dog on the front of the bag, marked Cornwall Coal, I was told it is picked up in bulk in PA, unknown exactly where, brought back and bagged in Cornwall NY (Hudson Valley).

I do have a hopper, it’s not in currently, but I have had this issue with it in and out.

My ash doors I leave at 1/8 moon and the back dial is set at 8. I do not have a manual damper.

This time around I will try clearing some ash from below first, then crack the glass door before I shake and see show that works out. I really appreciate all the suggestions.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Wed. Dec. 13, 2017 9:06 pm

Open the door a lot more than a crack.

By letting the hopper go empty or not using it, you lose the advantage of feeding hot coal which starts the blue flames quickly, and nas far less concern for puffback.

The advantage of the thermostat is that as the fire ashes up it opens more. That means when you shake down and get rid of the ash, the air flap is automatically open more to revive the fire with the hot coal from the hopper, and will close down to set temperature by itself. Leave it set at one point and don't touch it unless you want more or less temperature on the stove. There should not be a need to open the ash door air inlets, or to open the ash door except to remove the pan.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 5:14 am

x2 on the hopper, I would put it back in.

Make sure you shake the grates until you start to see orange embers dropping into the ash pan. Some coal creates a very fluffy white ash, and it takes a little more effort to get it out. If you continue to have problems, I would try some different coal.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 7:48 am

Well, I read through your post. I'd say your problem is ash build up.

1.) Poke/fluff the 50-93 as Fred said; Along the two sides. Leave the middle alone. You need to shake more.

2.) Shake till you see an even glow across the ash pan, not just a few little embers.

3.) Shaking with the load door open will lessen fly ash build up on glass.

4.) Keep the hopper topped off.

5.) I agree with your 30-95 tending, and doing a thorough cleaning about once a week.

6.) You may have coal with excessive ash.

7.) Personally; I'd pull all dampers out of HITZER Easy - Flow stoves. In the beginning, I put manual dampers in for safety purposes. I have good strong drafting chimneys, and ended up pulling my dampers out. The HITZER 30-95, and 50-93 run just fine without dampers. Back when I bought my HITZERS, they were not to have ANY obstructions in the stove pipe.

8.) ..........and for the most part, everyone who replied to your post made good points. Put them all together. That HITZER will run like a Swiss Watch. :)

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 9:12 am

very well put put op good to hear from you !!

jw157
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by jw157 » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 7:34 pm

I put the hopper back in today, I now have a thin metal rod that I can slide under the grates and clear some ash out through the ash pan area. I will shake a lot more then I was before, with the glass door open. I am leaving for Georgia Saturday morning so I will have to wait until I return next week to test out all the suggestions.

franco b
Site Moderator
Hand Fed Coal Stove: V ermont Castings 2310, Franco Belge 262
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114
Coal Size/Type: nut and pea

Post by franco b » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 8:40 pm

Poking from the ash area you want the glass door closed to suck in the fly ash.

With the ash door closed you can open the upper door when shaking.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 9:15 pm

franco b wrote:
Thu. Dec. 14, 2017 8:40 pm
Poking from the ash area you want the glass door closed to suck in the fly ash.

With the ash door closed you can open the upper door when shaking.
Yes, and no need to poke from below. Do as Fred said; Fluff along the sides through the front door, and shake. Don't make us get Fred after you!!! :lol:

coalfan
Hand Fed Coal Stove: ds circultor1500 \chubby coal stove
Coal Size/Type: nut/ pea ant.some bit.
Other Heating: kerosene\cold nat. gas

Post by coalfan » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 9:17 am

:lol: :clap: ohh no dont get fred started ! listen to him for the sake of us all !!!!!!!!!!!!!

coalmaster
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: hitzer 50-93 2800sqft
Coal Size/Type: nut anthricite

Post by coalmaster » Fri. Dec. 15, 2017 9:21 pm

This is my tool. 3/16 stainless rod that I bent in the vice. Fill the hopper, use the rod to push coal from the hopper to fill the corners, crack the ash door so that the fly ash doesn't build on the coal bed while I shake (8 times) last I spend 5 or so minutes poking with the rod until I have a glow evenly across the bottom. Once a week I slide the rod along the side and front. Tending only takes 10 minutes tops for me

Attachments

15133905110691764770023.jpg
.JPG | 334.8KB | 15133905110691764770023.jpg

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”