Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 11:21 am

X43 ! Call the Trainer !

Wood slave
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby stove
Coal Size/Type: Nut coal

Post by Wood slave » Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 12:14 pm

Ok all, I emailed Larry this morning and he responded really quick about the situation. I had just read his email and moments later he called me!! Wow, talk about customer service!!!!! We talked about it and told me to go ahead leave it as is and burn it for a wk or 2, and see what happens. He said everything should be great with it as he said this particular stove went together well and took paint very good. So we will see!!

Wood slave

Wood slave

Post by Wood slave » Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 12:27 pm

And....the chubby is burning the black rocks!!! AWESOME!!!!! Getting the coal started was tricky I will admit, but I got it going and has been burning for about 2 hrs at 400*, mpd was set at about 1/2 way closed, and air down below was at about an 1/8". Now I just closed mpd down to about 75% and stove jumped up to 450* and I just closed the air below down to about a sliver open. Gonna see what she does now. All this with no baro as of right now. Will be coming soon! Thx all

Wood slave

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 1:03 pm

Wood slave,
Good for you-yee-hah!!!
Now that you have talked to Larry: My 1979 model had a similar problem. Check the door gasket. I think it's suppose to be 1/2 inch. I cut out the latch side, plus an inch on the top and bottom, and glued in 5/8 inch gasket. Problem solved. True Value Hardware carries multiple size gasket kits for stoves- about $10.
"Ya gotta love a Chubby"
Cheers

joeq
Hand Fed Coal Stove: G111, Southard Robertson

Post by joeq » Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 4:27 pm

Nice to be up and running. So did Larry say after a few burns, the stove will take a shape, and the gaps will seal themselves?
(Bye the way, did anyone mention pics?) :)

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 5:28 pm

I got a feeling it ain't going seal itself when used. Things don't work that way. The stove is round so is the door.
Maybe the gasket on the tight side will flatten out allowing the other side to close tighter.. Still the door isn't set up right it seems.

windyhill4.2
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1960 EFM520 installed in truck box
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane 404 with variable blower
Coal Size/Type: 404-nut, 520 rice ,anthracite for both

Post by windyhill4.2 » Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 5:33 pm

captcaper wrote:
Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 5:28 pm
I got a feeling it ain't going seal itself when used. Things don't work that way. The stove is round so is the door.
Maybe the gasket on the tight side will flatten out allowing the other side to close tighter.. Still the door isn't set up right it seems.
It is extremely difficult to believe that the man who makes & rebuilds Chubby stoves would understand more about how that stove will work than those of us out here guessing what will happen.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Mon. Nov. 20, 2017 5:50 am

windyhill4.2 wrote:
Sun. Nov. 19, 2017 5:33 pm
It is extremely difficult to believe that the man who makes & rebuilds Chubby stoves would understand more about how that stove will work than those of us out here guessing what will happen.
I know Chubby stoves well. Owned 2 of them for 20 yrs. Do you? I can see how this happened. But the gasket will probably flatten on the inside sealing the outer side.

Wood slave

Post by Wood slave » Mon. Nov. 20, 2017 8:19 am

The gasket is pretty flat on the inside already, but I did a little "tweaking" to make the handle side a little tighter to my liking! Everything ran great last nite, the chubby idled at 300-325* all nite and the house was at 70* with outside temps at 20* and that was a 14 hr burn. So I'm a happy chubby owner now lol. Getting ready to do my first shake and floss on her now. Wish me luck!!

Wood slave

Logs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby
Coal Size/Type: Nut anthracite
Other Heating: Fireplace and wood burner

Post by Logs » Mon. Nov. 20, 2017 8:33 am

Happy to hear things are working out for you! Follow Larry’s advice. Another satisfied Cubby owner.

D-frost
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman MK ll
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Yukon Eagle I (multi-fuel oil, wood/coal)
Baseburners & Antiques: Herald 'fireside oak'
Coal Size/Type: nut/stove-Blaschak/Lehigh

Post by D-frost » Mon. Nov. 20, 2017 8:36 am

Captain & Wood,
I suggested modifying the gasket to take the stress off the hinge. I actually broke the hinge nub off on my 1979 model, because of binding. Wilson did his 'magic', and welded back together. I did not want to see that happen to a new install. Larry puts out a great little heater, but, like everything else, 's**t happens'.
Cheers

keegs
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby (main floor)
Coal Size/Type: nut

Post by keegs » Tue. Nov. 21, 2017 8:46 am

FWIW W s... I replaced the gaskets on my used '70's model chubby using the Chubby replacement gasket kit and it took a fire or two to flatten out the new gaskets around the doors.

At this point in your journey I was having trouble keeping the coal fire going through the morning shake and floss. I think it was due to me not having enough unburned coal left in the fire pot by morning. I started filling the fire pot to the top before turning in for bed and that problem was solved.

One more tidbit... Larry sells the pokers but they're about 10" long... not long enough to get all the way to the back of the grate . If you have one of these shorties, Lowes and/or HD have 3/8" diameter steel rod stock that goes for around $5. for a 3' section. It's pretty easy to fashion a poker out of this.

Wood slave

Post by Wood slave » Tue. Nov. 21, 2017 11:18 am

Alright my fellow coal burners, I'm on hr 15 on last nites load!! I set the stove to 1/8" open on air damper and that runs my chubby 475-500*. So let's say it was warm in the house when everyone woke up lol. If I leave the air shut or just a sliver open and I mean sliver, stove idles at 300-325*. I am very impressed with the chubby.

Oh yes, I have photos I'm gonna see if my wife will help me out on posting them soon!!

Wood slave

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Nov. 21, 2017 11:22 am

Sounds real good W. Colder temps will change all that.

warminmn
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Junior, Efel Nestor Martin, Riteway 37
Coal Size/Type: nut and stove anthracite, lignite
Other Heating: Wood and wear a wool shirt

Post by warminmn » Tue. Nov. 21, 2017 11:57 am

If your top door were leaking much air at all, your stove would not run that warm. So it did likely seal itself as Larry had you try.

Your stove temps with air damper setting sound very similar to what I get in my Jr. Mine is 4 feet from my chair so I dont run it over 500 and can feel my skin tanning on the side of my face near the stove :lol:

Return to “Hand Fired Coal Stoves & Furnaces Using Anthracite”