50th Anniversary of the Knox Mine Disaster

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Thu. Jan. 22, 2015 9:03 pm

Just a reminder 56yrs

Pauliewog
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Alaska 140 Dual Paddle Feed
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Chesnut, Pea, Rice / Anthracite

Post by Pauliewog » Thu. Jan. 22, 2015 11:30 pm

Richard S. wrote:I live just about 2 miles upriver from where that happened.
Theres a drainage tunnel (Jeddo tunnel) in the valley that drains flooded undergrond coal mines in the Hazleton area
You're lucky it's only mine waste. If there wasn't houses in the way you could see the Butler mine tunnel from my porch. Some Jackass had a garage about 2 or 3 miles from the river and they were dumping all kinds of toxic waste into a borehole on the property. they got caught and it was only a short time later that waste made it's way into the river discharged from the tunnel. That was back in the late 70's early 80's. Hasn't been any major events in a decade or two that I'm aware of but they still monitor it 24/7.
Hi neighbor! I'm less than 500 yards from the Knox and it seems like yesterday I was standing on on the 8th street bridge with my mom and dad watching the rail cars being sucked into that whirlpool. Some sights stay with you forever.
On the upside.............. Unlike me, your a bit above the Butler but I'm downstream.

Richard , are you up near Dick Woods?

Paulie

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Jan. 23, 2015 8:32 am

Pauliewog wrote:
Richard , are you up near Dick Woods?

Paulie
Doesn't sound familiar, in any event my house burned back in early 2010. I'm in Harding now at the top of Apple Tree.

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Sat. Mar. 21, 2015 9:49 pm

Funny I grew up in Port Griffith. We used to play on the old coal car that was upside down on the riverbank. Not much left to it now. I still buzz the area on the jet ski once in a while.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Mar. 22, 2015 1:19 pm

Most of the links are broken...here are some that still work:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=knox ... e+disaster

Pauliewog
Baseburners & Antiques: Fame Rosemont #20, Home Stove Works #25, Glenwood #6, Happy Thought Oak, Merry Bride #214, Sunnyside, Worlds Argand #114, New Golden Sun , & About 30 others.

Post by Pauliewog » Sun. Mar. 22, 2015 6:24 pm

Flyer5 wrote:Funny I grew up in Port Griffith. We used to play on the old coal car that was upside down on the riverbank. Not much left to it now. I still buzz the area on the jet ski once in a while.
Where about in Port Griffith did you live?

Paulie

Flyer5

Post by Flyer5 » Mon. Mar. 23, 2015 2:53 pm

Pauliewog wrote:
Flyer5 wrote:Funny I grew up in Port Griffith. We used to play on the old coal car that was upside down on the riverbank. Not much left to it now. I still buzz the area on the jet ski once in a while.
Where about in Port Griffith did you live?

Paulie
Friend st

Belgianburner
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Surdiac Gotha 713
Other Heating: heat pump (electric backup)

Post by Belgianburner » Sat. Jan. 23, 2016 11:20 am

If any of you can get PCN-TV, they are airing two programs this afternoon: The Knox Mine Disaster (interview/lecture with authors), and "Anthracite Miners & their Hollowed Ground". These will be periodically rebroadcast and are available for purchase

Pauliewog

Post by Pauliewog » Sat. Jan. 23, 2016 1:11 pm

Belgianburner wrote:If any of you can get PCN-TV, they are airing two programs this afternoon: The Knox Mine Disaster (interview/lecture with authors), and "Anthracite Miners & their Hollowed Ground". These will be periodically rebroadcast and are available for purchase
Thanks for posting !

I don't get PCN-TV but I was able to see this in time enough to call my son who is recording all three of them now.

I live less than 1/4 mile from the Knox site, and still vividly recall standing on the Wyoming Bridge with my parents for hours watching the rail cars being swallowed up by the raging whirlpool, in an attempt to plug the hole.

Paulie

oldbill

Post by oldbill » Sun. Feb. 14, 2016 6:23 pm

That incident had far reaching consequences.
Du Pont had a black powder manufacturing facility at Moosic. In 1972 the facility and business was sold to Gearhart-Owens. GOEX normally used Moosic municipal water to manufacture their black powder. Each 100 pounds of powder going into a wheel mill required 10 pounds of water added to wet the mixture at the start of the milling cycle. In times of drought GOEX was not permitted to use the municipal water in the powder manufacturing process. Then then took water from an on-site well. Water badly contaminated with mine waste water, Highly acidic, rich in water-soluble iron and sulfur oxidizing bacteria. The result of adding sulfur loving bacteria to a composition containing elemental sulfur had serious results in the finished powder. By 1974 the U.S. military was having serious problems with large caliber artillery that used black powder as an intermediate primer in the loads. Drought period black powder production had chemical stability problems. This gave erratic ignition in the artillery. The U.S. Army blew up a 155mm howitzer in a cold weather exercise. The Navy had problems with "breech blows" in 5 inch and 7 inch naval guns. Aberdeen Proving Ground spent 10 years redesigning loadings around the problem and never really grasped what the problem was in the powder.

Return to “Anthracite Coal History in Northeastern Pennsylvania”