Semi-Anthracite Near Bernice, Mildred and Lopez, Pa

anthony7812
Stoker Coal Boiler: VanWert VA 400
Coal Size/Type: Buck/Anthracite

Post by anthony7812 » Sat. Jun. 18, 2011 11:45 pm

I don't know whats taking place at the old mines in mildred but thier is activity again up thier. Now hard to say its gas related or coal. But good to see some work back in the area. wouldnt it be nice to have a breaker close to home, oh well.

idigghx

Post by idigghx » Fri. Feb. 17, 2012 2:32 am

The deep mines were all located around the perimeter of the "hill" per se. I know of at least three openings, just because we used to explore a lot. I also know where you shouldn't explore, because that rain in the late summer opened some ground. The activity at the Falcon site isn't mining operations, it's a leased facility. They used it for parking construction equipment when 487 was being paved; and before that, Geokinetics used it to park and store equipment. It was also a recycling plant in the late 90's. They were well known for electrical fires.

If you're trying to research it, in DEP and etc; records, try "Connell Deep Mine Complex". Only the deep mines cut in the 20th century were mapped, and to what extent, who knows. The slopes go in every direction, toward Lopez, Murray, Ringdale, Bernice and under a large portion of the village of Mildred. Usually if the ground is warm, during the first snow fall, you can tell where the shallow sections are. There's one that goes from an old breaker site, almost in a straight line across the eastern part of Mildred. Just slow down by St. Francis cemetery, look off to the left for the caution tape. That's how far the underground mines stretch off the known complex.

There were also mines out on Dutch Mountain, and on, incidentally, Coal Mine Road; a loop road in Worlds End State Park. That would be under Loyalsock Coal Company. Shut down now, but it was operated by horse drawn sled and trucks, still a lot of evidence left if you look around. Watch your step though, wear boots that support your ankles, there are lots of things hidden under the pine needles.

Rufcar
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van wert
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Rufcar » Sun. Feb. 23, 2020 1:33 pm

Very old thread. Just drive through Mildred and Lopez around noon. Had the z06 out for a back country drive. Was surprised to see coal this far from Dauphin county and luzerne where I grew up. The place looked active. Huge piles of coal along the highway. Found this thread while having lunch in Sonestown. Never heard of semi anthracite. Learned alot today. Once home I'll see if i can track any additional activity in Mildred.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 23, 2020 2:20 pm

Nice R--ain't back country drives interesting. Waitin for update--:)

Rufcar

Post by Rufcar » Sun. Feb. 23, 2020 3:53 pm

Here is a google map: I passed this area around noon. Hart construction is on this site. Not sure if they are doing any coal or not. Seems to be much coal along the road but could just be older culum with high coal content. You can do the over head view as well. https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4743823,-76.37256 ... 6?hl=en-US

Rufcar

Post by Rufcar » Sun. Feb. 23, 2020 6:07 pm

I spoke to the owner today and he just rents the land as he is a pipeline construction co. business. He knows of no one in that area selling or mining coal. The end!

Rufcar

Post by Rufcar » Sun. Feb. 23, 2020 6:20 pm

I will add this picture of a Bernice breaker:
Connell01.jpg
.JPG | 5.6KB | Connell01.jpg

idigghx

Post by idigghx » Fri. Jul. 10, 2020 9:12 am

There’s no more mining, most openings have been closed off. The tailings are just left as a reminder of the past.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Sat. Jul. 11, 2020 1:52 am

I hunted in that general area for well over 50 years. Mostly in the Hillsgrove- Forksville-High knob-Sones pond areas, among many others. The Mildred or Bernice areas were still mining semi-Anthracite into the 80's. The Coal bed road loop not far from Worlds End was a bituminous operation according to some old coal field maps I have seen. Not sure that's correct but some old records showed operation until 1948. In the 60's, there was still a good bit of scrap around there. As another poster mentioned in this thread 8 years ago, there was some nasty sharp stuff hidden under leaves and dirt back there. I can vouch for that! My dad and I hunted out to a large abandoned farm towards the North head from Coal bed road in the early 60's. Still wide open then. He picked up an Ah-ugg-gah horn off of an old model T truck that was still serviceable. We went back to that farm about 40 years later and it was completely overgrown. Sure miss getting up there. A woman who was managing the motel south of Dushore several years ago, told me she recalled her Mildred school house often shaking from the blasting under the school.

Some info on Loyalsock colliery, listed as Forksville. http://www.northernfield.info/operationReport.php ... Operations

Return to “Anthracite Coal History in Northeastern Pennsylvania”