Local to Me Anthracite History.

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Sun. Aug. 21, 2022 4:42 pm

Here's an old Coal bag from Leominster Ice Company in Leominster MA.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Mon. Aug. 22, 2022 1:20 am

That's great! Is that a heavy paper sack? Thanks for sharing. I believe that the "Blue Coal" brand was one of the largest Anthracite home heating coal companies. Processed at the famous Huber breaker in Luzerne County, PA. by Glen Alden coal co. They processed 7000 tons a day! I've read that they sponsored national radio shows and had billboards all over. Went under in 1976.

My first personal coal burning times were 19 years at an old 1810 tannery/mill building with a floor of living quarters upstairs. During a very long Anthracite labor strike in the late 70's or early 80's, I actually completely emptied a large rice coal bin that had been there forever. In the back corners were a couple of buckets of blue dyed coal. Alo a bit of red painted coal which had been a Reading Anthracite thing.
huber_elevation_drawing.jpg
.JPG | 54.2KB | huber_elevation_drawing.jpg
south_side_1954.jpg
.JPG | 44.4KB | south_side_1954.jpg
picking_floor_1955.jpg
.JPG | 61.8KB | picking_floor_1955.jpg

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Fri. Aug. 26, 2022 4:32 pm

hank2, are you talking about the strike there by Mount Carmel? Were they part of Gilberton Coal Company?

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Fri. Aug. 26, 2022 7:04 pm

gaw wrote:
Fri. Aug. 26, 2022 4:32 pm
hank2, are you talking about the strike there by Mount Carmel? Were they part of Gilberton Coal Company?
gaw, I only remember that my rice supplier back then, (early 80's?) couldn't get any coal for months. Blamed it on an extended Anthracite strike. I'm pretty sure that feed mill sold Reading. There were a number of coal yards and sellers in northern Berks back then. The ones I checked with were also out. At least for rice. My farmer neighbor eventually found a ton of Jeddo for me at a feed mill I didn't know of about 15 miles away. Luckily, I think it was Spring/ early Summer, so what I had just stretched until I got that single ton. Not sure how many breakers or mines were on strike. Some years after that I switched to Emil Rarick for coal and used mostly Greenwood breaker at that home and the next.

Return to “Anthracite Coal History in Northeastern Pennsylvania”