Identify a Miner

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sun. Oct. 27, 2019 4:42 pm

On Wednesday October 23, 2019 this picture was unveiled during a ceremony at St Luke’s Miner’s Memorial Hospital, Coaldale, PA. I had the pleasure to attend and see the portrait in person and meet the people involved in making this happen. I know this thread went dormant for a while but connections were made and things were happening in private to protect people’s privacy and not to throw speculation out there for all to see. In the end Doctor Balshi was able to find the identity of the miner with absolute certainty. He is Joe “Portis” Maluski, now deceased and was from Minersville, PA. His son is also deceased but his daughter in law and granddaughters and a great grandson were on hand for the unveiling.

Dr Balshi was a great guy to meet in person, another great guy to meet Frank Schramm, the photographer of the portrait was there. Dr Balshi gave credit and praise to coalpail.com for helping him put a name on the miner. This portrait turned out absolutely stunning. The photographer still had the negative to make the large portrait with incredible detail. If anyone ever gets past St. Luke’s it would be worth your while to just walk in the main entrance and take a look, it is just right of the receptionist’s desk.

This is a link to St. Luke’s announcing the dedication on their web site.
https://www.slhn.org/news/2019/new-art-installati ... -community
This is a link to a news story covering the event.
https://www.tnonline.com/new-art-miners-campus-ho ... oal-region
Please read the linked articles, they are not long and they tell the story better than I can.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Oct. 27, 2019 8:29 pm

good stuff!

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Mon. Oct. 28, 2019 1:06 am

Thanx for the Update! I graduated in '78,so this must mean I'm getting old! I remember when Coal was still on a roll in the very early 70's in Southern Ohio-Belmont&Guernsey Counties by Piedmont Lake. A Miner,whether Bit or Anth sure as Hell is an Unbelievable Breed! Hat's off to the Doc for what he did to put a name with that face!

11ultra103
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, DS Comfortmax 75
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by 11ultra103 » Mon. Feb. 10, 2020 9:13 pm

Pauliewog wrote:
Thu. Apr. 25, 2019 3:16 pm
At first I thought it might be, but the picture posted was from 1979.

Here is a more recent picture of Dave.
Screenshot_2019-04-25-15-08-47-1.png

Paulie
Do you know if they still do the picnic?

11ultra103
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, DS Comfortmax 75
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by 11ultra103 » Mon. Feb. 10, 2020 9:18 pm

gaw wrote:
Sun. Oct. 27, 2019 4:42 pm
On Wednesday October 23, 2019 this picture was unveiled during a ceremony at St Luke’s Miner’s Memorial Hospital, Coaldale, PA. I had the pleasure to attend and see the portrait in person and meet the people involved in making this happen. I know this thread went dormant for a while but connections were made and things were happening in private to protect people’s privacy and not to throw speculation out there for all to see. In the end Doctor Balshi was able to find the identity of the miner with absolute certainty. He is Joe “Portis” Maluski, now deceased and was from Minersville, PA. His son is also deceased but his daughter in law and granddaughters and a great grandson were on hand for the unveiling.

Dr Balshi was a great guy to meet in person, another great guy to meet Frank Schramm, the photographer of the portrait was there. Dr Balshi gave credit and praise to coalpail.com for helping him put a name on the miner. This portrait turned out absolutely stunning. The photographer still had the negative to make the large portrait with incredible detail. If anyone ever gets past St. Luke’s it would be worth your while to just walk in the main entrance and take a look, it is just right of the receptionist’s desk.

This is a link to St. Luke’s announcing the dedication on their web site.
https://www.slhn.org/news/2019/new-art-installati ... -community
This is a link to a news story covering the event.
https://www.tnonline.com/new-art-miners-campus-ho ... oal-region
Please read the linked articles, they are not long and they tell the story better than I can.

Thanks for the update, glad someone figured out who the miner is! Very sorry to hear of David A and his wifes passing. I learned of him from the bootleggers youtube movie

Return to “Anthracite Coal History in Northeastern Pennsylvania”