Family ramblings from days gone by.

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Mon. Dec. 25, 2017 11:29 pm

I thought I'd relate a few old ramblings about my Dad's side of the family. Involving Anthracite coal mining and living in Pa.

My Grandfather, son of a blacksmith, was a mine carpenter and other things with the Cornwall Iron mine in Lebanon co., Pa. Maybe 1910 to early 1920's. He relocated to the Hegin's valley, Schuylkill co., Pa. and built a nice Sears house. When general carpentry work became scarce during the great depression, he worked as a mine carpenter in coal mines near Sacramento and Hegins for some years. My Dad and his two brothers used to work an outcropping for coal somewhere, on a bootleg basis, a car trunk load at a time. That was their source of cooking and heat. The oldest brother once was a gofer for some moonshiners for a while, until they opened fire on him approaching the still site one day. Granddad took off for the shipyard job boom right after the start of WWII. He died before he ever got back home. I never got to meet him. My Dad and oldest brother were soon off to the Army in the Pacific theatre. Their two sisters had already left home. Remaining at home were my Grandma, my 17 tr. old youngest uncle and his young bride and baby. My young uncle took a job in mine, when work was to be had. He had the bad luck to get deeply buried in a culm pile collapse. A coworker performed nothing less than a miracle with a bulldozer and eventually got him out. My uncle related the experience a couple times to me, getting very emotional about it each time. He said that Lord Jesus appeared to him while buried and told him all would be well. By all accounts there was no rational reason for him to be alive when they dug him out. He lived to be 86.

The same youngest uncle eventually had 3 daughters. One of those cousins married a guy in about 1970,that was a miner for most of his life. Along with some farming, fabrication and everything else. They had 3 daughters as well. He developed blank lung or something similar and died about age 46. Salute to all that still do the work to bring us our black rocks. It's safer job today but maybe over regulated.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Tue. Dec. 26, 2017 1:33 am

Great share there hank2! Thank you for sharing that family history. I appreciate the history, especially since my wife's family has some interesting coal region history from that same era.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Tue. Dec. 26, 2017 6:41 am

Nice post H. Thank you. :)

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Tue. Dec. 26, 2017 8:27 am

Thanks Hank, always interesting to hear of how things were back in the days.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Tue. Dec. 26, 2017 9:09 am

Hank,Thank You and Merry Christmas To You and Yours'.... !

We need Guys like You and Jack to keep Us firmly planted on where the Coal Life comes from ! If We don't hear the Stories,We Lose !

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Fri. Dec. 29, 2017 12:04 pm

Hank wonderfull story .Im in Allentown atea maybe we could have breakfast lunch sometime .Jou have kids check out number 9 museum an mine tour its a great tour Not a Disney Land tour .P M me sometime jack

hank2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 1400 WH ciculator; 1880's small cannon in reserve
Other Heating: small New Yorker oil fired boiler; mostly used for domestic HW

Post by hank2 » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 12:30 am

Thanks, Den. I'll send ya a PM. I wish I had gone to the No. 9 tour when the forum guys went.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Dec. 30, 2017 5:10 am

Thanks for sharing a bit of your life. It wasn't easy back then but your family took it head on & did the best they could.

Hoytman
Location: swOH near a little town where the homes are mobile and the cars aren’t
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 354
Coal Size/Type: nut coal
Other Heating: electric, wood, oil

Post by Hoytman » Sun. Dec. 22, 2019 11:01 am

This is the type of story that makes a man’s nose burn and his eyes to water.
hank2 wrote:
Mon. Dec. 25, 2017 11:29 pm

My young uncle took a job in mine, when work was to be had. He had the bad luck to get deeply buried in a culm pile collapse. A coworker performed nothing less than a miracle with a bulldozer and eventually got him out. My uncle related the experience a couple times to me, getting very emotional about it each time. He said that Lord Jesus appeared to him while buried and told him all would be well. By all accounts there was no rational reason for him to be alive when they dug him out. He lived to be 86.
No rational reason? Oh yes there was! For him to be alive, relate what he seen to tell others in order for them to “believe” what and who he had seen while buried alive...that’s the reason. Wow! What a story...I mean a witness.

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sun. Dec. 22, 2019 6:42 pm

Nice Resurrection of Hank2's Tale of just how thin it can be at Christmas Time,let alone Year 'Round!! Alot of Folks would scratch there Noggins in disbelief,not believing the Amazing,Stone-Hard Family Smash It Out Types that Coal Country People were,and still are! Merry Christmas,Pilgrims!

11ultra103
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93, DS Comfortmax 75

Post by 11ultra103 » Sat. Feb. 15, 2020 9:52 pm

hank2 wrote:
Mon. Dec. 25, 2017 11:29 pm
I thought I'd relate a few old ramblings about my Dad's side of the family. Involving Anthracite coal mining and living in Pa.

My Grandfather, son of a blacksmith, was a mine carpenter and other things with the Cornwall Iron mine in Lebanon co., Pa. Maybe 1910 to early 1920's. He relocated to the Hegin's valley, Schuylkill co., Pa. and built a nice Sears house. When general carpentry work became scarce during the great depression, he worked as a mine carpenter in coal mines near Sacramento and Hegins for some years. My Dad and his two brothers used to work an outcropping for coal somewhere, on a bootleg basis, a car trunk load at a time. That was their source of cooking and heat. The oldest brother once was a gofer for some moonshiners for a while, until they opened fire on him approaching the still site one day. Granddad took off for the shipyard job boom right after the start of WWII. He died before he ever got back home. I never got to meet him. My Dad and oldest brother were soon off to the Army in the Pacific theatre. Their two sisters had already left home. Remaining at home were my Grandma, my 17 tr. old youngest uncle and his young bride and baby. My young uncle took a job in mine, when work was to be had. He had the bad luck to get deeply buried in a culm pile collapse. A coworker performed nothing less than a miracle with a bulldozer and eventually got him out. My uncle related the experience a couple times to me, getting very emotional about it each time. He said that Lord Jesus appeared to him while buried and told him all would be well. By all accounts there was no rational reason for him to be alive when they dug him out. He lived to be 86.

The same youngest uncle eventually had 3 daughters. One of those cousins married a guy in about 1970,that was a miner for most of his life. Along with some farming, fabrication and everything else. They had 3 daughters as well. He developed blank lung or something similar and died about age 46. Salute to all that still do the work to bring us our black rocks. It's safer job today but maybe over regulated.
Thanks for sharing! Its def over regulated today, but thanks to the men and women who have been doing it for hundreds of years and still are today!

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sun. Feb. 16, 2020 6:09 am

Nice this thread was revived--outstanding history lesson concerning coal & the families involved--thanx H, for the original post (& on Christmas day) & thanx U for bringin it back to life---can't remember if I saw it back when!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Return to “Anthracite Coal History in Northeastern Pennsylvania”