Paper or Aluminum Discs in Anthracite Coal Identifying the Coal Company

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Sun. Oct. 24, 2010 9:11 pm

Richard S. wrote:Forget the name of them at the moment but they also had little hard paper discs they would throw in the coal. The discs would identify the source.
They used to do the same thing here. These are about the size of a quarter and are metal, aluminum I think because they're not magnetic.
Currently using one for avatar.

Attachments

100_2368.JPG
.JPG | 107.9KB | 100_2368.JPG

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Sun. Oct. 04, 2015 7:27 pm

tdemps wrote:Coal company trademarked their coal by adding color. Glen Alden breakers tinted their coal blue, Reading Anthracite speckled their coal red. Lots of other companies used little paper disks or rectangles mixed in with the coal. These were called "scatter tags".
One scatter tag that comes to mind was used at the Glen Burn Colliery in Shamokin. They were shaped like little red baseballs with the legend "Glen Burn, Ball of Fire". Some of these old tags turn up on ebay once in a while.
I was in Easton PA this afternoon and decided to wander through an antique store. I remembered reading this post from a few years ago and picked up a couple after bargaining with the shopkeeper.

Attachments

WP_20151004_19_04_56_Pro.jpg

I might go back and pick up a few tan Glen Burn tags. I have them in a display case next to my blue painted coal.

.JPG | 92.5KB | WP_20151004_19_04_56_Pro.jpg
WP_20151004_15_00_49_Pro.jpg
.JPG | 86.4KB | WP_20151004_15_00_49_Pro.jpg

Return to “Anthracite Coal History in Northeastern Pennsylvania”