Around Christmas my brother and I (both local history/anthracite history buffs) took a trip around the 'Coal Region" of NEPA to check out some history.
We started in White Haven, went through Jeddo, Lattimer, Eckley, Weatherly to Jim Thorpe to Pottsville to Centralia, Mt Carmel, Mahanoy, Shendo, then back home. Of course with a quick stop in Hazleton for Jimmy Dogs.
Very interesting little trip and a nice way to spend a day with my brother and out of the house. I know this is a lot of people's lives and not a roadside attraction but it was still a good time. Never knew all those active mining companies were down there.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 2382
- Joined: Mon. Sep. 27, 2010 3:39 pm
- Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Bucket a Day
- Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vigilant Casting 2310
- Coal Size/Type: Pea/Nut/Wood in the VC and anything that will fit in the Bucket a Day. It's not fussy.
- Location: Girardville Pa.
If I had known you were coming I could have met you at the Donut Shop in Ashland. Hope you enjoyed the trip!!!