The marker is funded in memory of Beth and John Hanzely, D.Ed. It recognizes the site’s industrial and historical significance through the following text:
“Eckley Miners’ Village — Founded in 1854 as Fillmore, it was renamed for noted mining engineer Eckley Coxe. It was built to house anthracite coal miners and their families, many European immigrants. Coal patch towns like Eckley were common in northeast Pa. in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Colliery operations declined by the 1950s, but the site was restored for the 1970 film ‘The Molly Maguires.’ Subsequently it was converted to a state historic site operated by PHMC.
1 post • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 11923
- Joined: Thu. Mar. 13, 2008 10:29 am
- Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
- Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
- Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
- Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75
- Location: Linesville, Pa.
http://standardspeaker.com/news/eckley-miners-vil ... -1.1877136