Easter Tradition to Take Basket to Church

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Sat. Apr. 04, 2015 7:49 am

Guys up home in the coal regions the Eastern European tradion is to take an Easter basket to the church to be blest by the priest .My mom would put in the basket home made bread called Paska along with a piece of butter shaped like a Lamb .Also some kielbasa salt boiled eggs an I think some ham .This was done I believe Thursday or Friday to honor Easter .Sadly do to population decrease 1 of 4 churches are closed .Anywayhave a nice Easter .jack

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Sat. Apr. 04, 2015 8:05 am

Thanx for the history Jack--you too my friend :)

blrman07

Post by blrman07 » Sat. Apr. 04, 2015 8:13 am

Den034071 wrote:Guys up home in the coal regions the Eastern European tradion is to take an Easter basket to the church to be blest by the priest .My mom would put in the basket home made bread called Paska along with a piece of butter shaped like a Lamb .Also some kielbasa salt boiled eggs an I think some ham .This was done I believe Thursday or Friday to honor Easter .Sadly do to population decrease 1 of 4 churches are closed .Anywayhave a nice Easter .jack
A good thing about living in the Southern Anthracite Coal Region is the FOOD!! You can really hurt yourself if your not careful. The Paska, kielbasa, and the eggs are still here and the diversity of churches really have the festivals and the FOOD!!!

Here's a photo of the Paska This is the most common design ....https://www.google.com/search?q=paska&source=lnms ... 272%3B2848

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Apr. 04, 2015 8:16 am

Jack,You are The Master of Memories here !

We did the same in my Childhood ! Always done,I remember it being called the "Blessing of The Basket". It was always done on a Saturday morning,and it was quite a relief! We used to have a tough time on Good Friday,as Ma would have us sit from noon to 3 PM. She had told us that Jesus hung on the Cross during that time,and we should think about what He went through to save Our Souls. Sometimes,She would tell stories of Easter Past,and She would try to relate the Concept that Jesus was a Regular Guy who went through a Terrible Mess :bang: ,just to help Us out........

Looking back now,it was Ma,more than any Priest,who gave Us an idea about the Loving,Unselfish One ! That Basket was always covered by a Linen Cloth,and everything in it was treated with Reverence ! You didn't dare drop any crumbs ! We were brought up with Love,and Ma and Dad did a pretty Good Job of Blunting the Hard Core Beat Downs,replacing them with a Love and True Understanding of just what a Simple Man that We never met,went through for Us ! :gee:

Thanx Again,Jack.....Ma's still with Us,and I will tell her today about You ! Happy Easter ! :angel: :up:

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Sat. Apr. 04, 2015 10:32 am

Yes sir, fond memories here as well I liked the Paska with raisins the best. There was also an egg cheese that was made for both Christmas & Easter.

Den034071
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer, 3095

Post by Den034071 » Sat. Apr. 04, 2015 11:17 am

Rev. an sam an bob you have a good memory .The egg thing was in a sort of stocking an called in Slavish Hutka .Mom also stood crying on the back porch shavind Horseradish root .Shaving the root to make pure horseradish .It would Blow your sinus out .Also our family was 5 of us .When we grew up an home 4 Easter mom baked 5 nut rolls for each kid an 5 poppyseed rolls for us .The Pasks my mom baked a large size like a basketball for the ms man of the house an the wife got a smaller size . Each child received a small paska like a grapefruit .Each paska had a cross on it . Pop was a miner an I could say we were Poor but did not know it .Mom kooked on the coal stove summer to winter an swore when my sister bought the electric stove it was not as good for cooking an baking .On another note pops beer man came to the house put a case of Columbia beer or Ballantine an put it in basement fridge just like the milk man .He left a slip on table .Also we Never locked the front door in the coal regions .Oh the beer wea 3 bucks .End of Coal Region history for today .Happy Easter all . jack

Hambden Bob
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 1998 Magnum Stoker
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Blower Model Coal Chubby 1982-Serial#0097
Coal Size/Type: Rice-A-Roni ! / Nut
Other Heating: Pro-Pain Forced Air

Post by Hambden Bob » Sat. Apr. 04, 2015 6:26 pm

Dynamite as usual,Jack ! You've stirred alot of Good Memories ! here's to the One's We've Loved and Lost ! :angel: :up:

urdahere

Post by urdahere » Sat. Apr. 04, 2015 8:00 pm

Coming from a Slovak family, a favorite of mine for Easter was Sirecz (or Easter Cheese made from eggs). Loved that stuff along with all of the other traditional foods.

Happy Easter to all of you.

Joe Urda

Return to “Anthracite Coal History in Northeastern Pennsylvania”