Blue Paint on Anthracite Coal? Paper Discs in Anthracite Coal?

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Sat. Oct. 30, 2010 10:57 am

Everybody seems to think the blue was paint. I still think it was blue chalk, like chalk-line chalk. Maybe they mixed it with water to spray it on like the photo shows. That would mean it was pigment ( blue chalk)and vehicle (water); as opposed to vehicle, pigment and binder ( anything from linseed oil to latex), which is what paint is defined as.

Meade

Post by Meade » Fri. Nov. 05, 2010 1:02 pm

Good day all.

I happened on a road side coal loading station, in the Swatara Gap area of NEPA last summer. Since we were four rock hounds out for a day of fossil collecting, we decided to have our photo's taken in front of the "antique" structure.

While exploring a bit (I collect odd and iridescent Anthracite) I happened on a "stripe" of bright, solidly iridescent blue coal. Clearly NOT paint, or applied, but through and through. It laid in the form of a "river", coming down from one corner of the structure of metal and wood, and widening as it descended some 3-4" to grade level. It seemed to only be the top/surface area, not the underlying, or nearby piles. I gathered as many samples as were to be had, eagerly, since this is the only time I've found it in blue.

I've read the thread, but am searching for scientific data on what causes iridescence, and any other colors. Also, I would love to have contact with those who might have other color samples to share.

Thanks in advance,
Meade

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Fri. Nov. 05, 2010 1:16 pm

Meade (I love the stuff and made a batch or two when I kept bees ;) )
Check your PMs -I sent you one

Return to “Anthracite Coal History in Northeastern Pennsylvania”