An Anthracite Homecoming - MAR 9 2008

Post by Guest » Sun. Feb. 24, 2008 2:31 pm

COMMONWEALTH OF PENNSYLVANIA
PENNSYLVANIA ANTHRACITE HERITAGE MUSEUM
R.R.1, Bald Mountain Road, McDade Park
Scranton, PA 18504
(570) 963-4804

Anthracite Heritage focus for Charter Day Event

On Sunday, March 9, 2008, from Noon to 5 PM, the Pennsylvania Anthracite Heritage Museum in McDade Park, Scranton, will offer an afternoon of family activities, all free of charge. Charter Day marks the anniversary of the document by which King Charles II, in 1681, granted to William Penn the large tract of land known today as the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Residents of all ages are invited to browse the exhibits, participate in children’s heritage activities and enjoy refreshments.

At the same time, in the museum’s auditorium, sessions and displays from local and regional attractions and sites will offer information and materials related to anthracite culture and history. The event is in cooperation with the Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission, sponsored by the Pennsylvania Tourism Office of the Department of Community and Economic Development (DCED).

The Pennsylvania Anthracite Heritage Museum is located in McDade Park, off Keyser Avenue, in Scranton (Exits 182 or 191B off I-81, and Exit 122 from I-476). The museum is open year-round Monday through Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and Sunday from 12:00 noon to 5:00 p.m. Admission is charged. Please call the Anthracite Heritage Museum at 570-963-4804 for more information.

The Pennsylvania Anthracite Heritage Museum is administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. Individuals with disabilities who need special assistance or accommodations to participate in this program or visit the museum should call the museum at 570-963-4804, in advance, to discuss their needs. Pennsylvania TDD relay service is available at (800) 654-5984.

The Pennsylvania Anthracite Heritage Museum is one of 25 historic sites and museums on the Pennsylvania Trail of History®, administered by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. For more information, or to request a free, 24-page visitor’s guide, visit http://www.phmc.state.pa.us, or phone toll free 1-866-PATRAIL.

Our partners this year will include various tourism organizations and historical societies from Lackawanna, Schuylkill, Carbon and Luzerne counties:
Schuylkill County Visitors Bureau
Greater Hazleton Area Civic Partnership
Delaware & Lehigh National Heritage Corridor
Susquehanna Greenways Partnership
The Lands at Hillside Farms
The Anthracite Living History Group
Everhart Museum
Anthracite Heritage Museum and Scranton Iron Furnaces Associates
Greater Pittston Historical Society
Huber Project Task Force
Abandoned Mine Research
Exeter Community Historical Society
PA Anthracite Section of the Society of Mining Engineers
Leadership Hazleton Jeanesville Mine Disaster Memorial Project Team
Knox 50th Anniversary Committee
Wyoming Valley Area History Groups: Luzerne County Historical Society
Wyoming Valley Area History Groups: Exeter Historical Society
Wyoming Valley Area History Groups: Nanticoke Historical Society
Wyoming Valley Area History Groups: West Pittston Historical Society
Wyoming Valley Area History Groups: Plymouth Historical Society
Wyso Foundation
Happenings Magazine
PA DEP Deep Mine Safety
Lackawanna Heritage Valley Authority
Dunmore Historical Society
Lackawanna County Convention and Visitors Bureau
Dunmore Historical Society
Taylor Historical Society
Eastern Pennsylvania Coalition for Abandoned Mine Reclamation
National Canal Museum
Friends of the Nescopeck
No.9 Mine
Luzerne County Convention and Visitors Bureau

Chris Murley

Post by Chris Murley » Sun. Feb. 24, 2008 9:44 pm

this is going to be a great event, looking forward to meeting a bunch of people, make sure you stop by our table and see some of our latest projects, a few are going to be premiered that day and are not on our website yet!

mike

Post by mike » Sun. Feb. 24, 2008 10:11 pm

I second what chris said, this is really shaping up to be a big event. I'll be there either at the AMR, Huber Breaker, or No.9 table. Or all three!

Return to “Anthracite Coal History in Northeastern Pennsylvania”