Maps of Old NEPA Breakers & Collieries ?

DeSotoFrank

Post by DeSotoFrank » Thu. Feb. 14, 2008 2:50 pm

Greetings !

I found this site via Google, on a search for Breakers...

The other year I was nosing around the internet, looking for info on NE Penna's Anthracite industry, and found an interactive map that had breaker / shaft / colliery sites marked in red, and I believe you could click on a marker (like a push-pin in a wall-map), and more info would pop-up in a another window...

Does anyone else know of this site or a similar one, and would care to post a link ?

I'm trying to place old colliery / mine sites onto a modern map that I use for chasing "dead rail-roads"...

Thanks for your help !

De Soto Frank
:)

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Feb. 14, 2008 3:17 pm

Sorry I don't but i'll be adding such a feature in a wiki that I'll be installing shortly.

In the meantime you might want to check out http://www.undergroundminers.com if you haven't already.

Chris the owner of that site stops in occasionally and he would probably know where such a map exists.

Chris Murley

Post by Chris Murley » Thu. Feb. 14, 2008 7:17 pm

well I do have this to offer:

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Feb. 14, 2008 7:59 pm

Nice link Chris, if anyone is interested you can get a different map from Google using the latitude and longitude listed on that link.

For example this is the Old Forge Number 2 Shaft:

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

Chris Murley

Post by Chris Murley » Thu. Feb. 14, 2008 10:07 pm

ha! out of the whole list why did you pick that one? we were at that shaft last winter. there is a concrete cap over it, not sure if its filled in or not. just down the bank from it is the drainage tunnel that was cinder blocked up. it goes in about 100 feet where it intersects the pipes that came out of the shaft for pumping the mine into the lackawanna river. nice! there "may" be a nice concrete slope opening in the vicinity of that shaft that is still partially open. it "may" go down about 200 feet before hitting a sand like mixture that collapses the slope. they had that problem up here with sand or "buried valley"

jasper933

Post by jasper933 » Sat. Feb. 16, 2008 3:01 pm

Hayna or No! I have a 1936 survayors map of Old Forge that shows all mine, colliery's, some company buildings, and "THE" Susquehanna Connecting Rail Road, SCRR 1897. E&L Austin branch, and Sibley junction with the O & W. I was born in Sibley, Now live in Austin Heights.
Carl, [email protected].

jasper933

Post by jasper933 » Sat. Feb. 16, 2008 3:20 pm

I have the origional photo of the Sibley Colliery, Old Forge. Owned by the Elliott McClure Co. This was the first breaker built in 1886, and destroyed by fire on June 23, 1906. Photo is black and white, 16 X 24"

Im looking for any information on this breaker and the Austin mine and breaker in the Austin Heights section of Old Forge.
Carl, [email protected]

Return to “Anthracite Coal History in Northeastern Pennsylvania”