New St. Nick Breaker

Chris Murley

Post by Chris Murley » Fri. Dec. 28, 2007 8:49 pm

hey guys I know theres some interest in this place so, posted up some pics of the new st. nick breaker during its demolition. we ran through it and I got some pics in there before it was torn down. didnt have a tripod so some are slightly blurry but you get the idea.....

http://www.undergroundminers.com/whatsnew.html

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Dec. 30, 2007 12:37 am

nice! when did they tear it down? sometime in 06? I drive past there to go shopping......was there one day......2 weeks later it was gone

Chris Murley

Post by Chris Murley » Sun. Dec. 30, 2007 7:42 am

yes it was late 06 into early this year. I have more pics im going to upload in a day or so.

U235a4

Post by U235a4 » Sun. Dec. 30, 2007 12:22 pm

Chris since you seem to get around how is the coal industry looking.....

xackley

Post by xackley » Sun. Dec. 30, 2007 2:05 pm

With all the hype about reclamation, I was wondering what the property look like now that the breaker is gone.

lincolnmania
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond

Post by lincolnmania » Sun. Dec. 30, 2007 3:56 pm

xackley wrote:With all the hype about reclamation, I was wondering what the property look like now that the breaker is gone.
that whole area looks like hell......if that's how reading anthracite treats the enviroment, I don't want to buy their coal

Chris Murley

Post by Chris Murley » Sun. Dec. 30, 2007 11:56 pm

as long as you guys keep burnin' it, it will keep gettin' dug! however, msha is really bearing down pretty hard on the deep mining guys with fines. the word "nit picking" comes to mind. one operator was fined cause one employee had his shoes untied, "unsafe working conditions" it was called. another was fined for "inadequate toilet paper"! :shock: this is not word of mouth from this guy who tells this guy who tells this guy who told me..... I heard it directly from each operator! basically what it comes down to is all the federal msha regulations, not the state regulations got combined from anthracite and bitty. they are attempting to enforce bitty laws in an anthracite mine. most of which will not work cause its 2 totally different mining styles, except 2 anthracite mines which are working flat pitch, harmony and kimmels. they use continous miners, shuttle cars and scoops. the other 15 or so, are being mined just like they were 100 years ago, wooden coal chutes up the pitch, being as almost all the mines are in the southern field and the pitch is near vertical. up north here (scranton wilkesbarre) my neck of the woods, the veins are relatively flat. however there are no active mines up north as of right now....... for now ;) anyways, the 2 mines mentioned earlier using mining machinery, are running nearly flat pitch where the coal veins came up the side of the hill and instead of outcropping they humped over the top and are pretty much flat on the top. now would it have been better to strip the top of the hill away? maybe...... but deep mining is so much more fun :)

Chris Murley

Post by Chris Murley » Mon. Dec. 31, 2007 12:01 am

"that whole area looks like hell......if that's how reading anthracite treats the enviroment, I don't want to buy their coal"

yep, the price you pay for getting coal out of the ground. once its done the pits get filled in and the area reclaimed. may take awhile but it gets done...... trust me, we know all about mine reclamation and the boys at (insert 3 letter agency here) covering up our holes ;)

mike

Post by mike » Tue. Jan. 01, 2008 6:31 pm

Other than MSHA harresment the anthracite industry is doing well, if they can get it out of the ground the can sell it. If MSHA wasn't doing what they were doing there would be more deep mines. If you have more deep mines you'll have less strip mines which is a lot more pleasing to the eye, besides as a rule deep mined coal is better than strip, usually.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Wed. Jan. 09, 2008 12:06 am

Hey Guys If you are Talking about the New Saint Nick"s Breaker in Duncot Pa outside of Minersville PA It is still standing I went by it last week I live 8 miles From it Everything is still there I do not know what one that you are Talking about :?:
I will go take some pitchers This weekend and Post them here :?

Chris Murley

Post by Chris Murley » Thu. Jan. 10, 2008 6:29 am

nope, the actual breaker is gone, I personally saw it come down. it was a gray and green building. all thats left are the red coal pockets and washery. check it out on our site. http://www.undergroundminers.com/newstnick.html

here ya go, ill save you the trip ;)

where the green and gray conveyor comes out of the pockets that went to the breaker. I think you may be mistaking this building for the breaker. anyways, look at these pics against our old ones.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Jan. 10, 2008 6:51 am

Is that red building the sizing plant too? Seems quite large to be just for pockets unless they are enormous. Looks to me like at one point that was actually like a drive through, trucks would line up from behind the building, drive underneath, and fill up where the chutes are. Actually quite a good setup from a coalman's perspective because that would require almost no work for filling the truck. Generally you have to push the coal around to make sure you have the right amount before going to weigh. A good coal man can generally come in around 100+- on a full load.

lincolnmania

Post by lincolnmania » Thu. Jan. 10, 2008 7:11 am

coal berner wrote:Hey Guys If you are Talking about the New Saint Nick"s Breaker in Duncot Pa outside of Minersville PA It is still standing I went by it last week I live 8 miles From it Everything is still there I do not know what one that you are Talking about :?:
I will go take some pitchers This weekend and Post them here :?
it's gone man

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Jan. 10, 2008 7:24 am

Maybe he's been drinking too much of that Yuengling. :beer:

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Thu. Jan. 10, 2008 1:47 pm

Richard S. wrote:Maybe he's been drinking too much of that Yuengling. :beer:
Yep you are Right WoW

Return to “Anthracite Coal History in Northeastern Pennsylvania”