The history of Perryopolis wouldn’t be complete without a reference to coal mining. Although Perryopolis itself is not a “company town” — a town built and owned by a coal company to house miners and their families close to the mines -- there were coal mines in and around town, and Perryopolis is surrounded by coal mining towns and patches. Star Junction, Victoria, Sweetcake, Panicktown, Whitsett, and Wickhaven were all coal mining towns or patches.
The history of coal is quite a long one, you'll find links and information for history among other things here.
1 post • Page 1 of 1
- Posts: 11333
- Joined: Thu. Mar. 13, 2008 10:29 am
- Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
- Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage
- Stove/Furnace Make: keystoker/hitzer
- Stove/Furnace Model: koker 160/ hitzer 75
- Location: Linesville, Pa.
Article I found about a town & mines near where I used to live.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn & complain & most fools do." Benjamin Franklin